Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

availability of vietnam era jungle hammocks

does anyone know of a source for the 60-70's gov. issue, jungle hammock? i would prefer new but would consider used , as long as it was still serviceable. ebay seems like too much of a gamble. i might be 20 years behind the curve, but would like to use one for motorcycle travel

Hammock
    PapaSmurf 1.1 dbl W/ Bug Net
    Tarp
    MIL Issued Poncho
    Insulation
    ACU Sleep System
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Try looking up NSN 8465-00-935-6397
    I swear I have never killed an axe, but might be a cereal killer just cant help it with a name like life it has to go down. -Wildcrafter-

ON ON!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'd like to have one for the collection, but not sure I would use it. Nylon deteriorates over time, even without being used. A hammock made from 40-50 year old nylon seems like it's just begging to drop its user on his/her butt. Not to discourage, just to warn.

Let us know if you find a source.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    PapaSmurf 1.1 dbl W/ Bug Net
    Tarp
    MIL Issued Poncho
    Insulation
    ACU Sleep System
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I'd like to have one for the collection, but not sure I would use it. Nylon deteriorates over time, even without being used. A hammock made from 40-50 year old nylon seems like it's just begging to drop its user on his/her butt. Not to discourage, just to warn.

Let us know if you find a source.
    I'll second that warning. It just happened to me about two weeks ago.
    I swear I have never killed an axe, but might be a cereal killer just cant help it with a name like life it has to go down. -Wildcrafter-

ON ON!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    If you seek a hammock kit for motorcycle camping, try a Hennessy. I have the Explorer Deluxe with Hex, and use it on ALL my M/C trips (from 2 or three days to 2 weeks). As said above, an original Vietnam era jungle hammock will likely be ready to fall apart.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by the_gr8t_waldo View Post
    i might be 20 years behind the curve, but would like to use one for motorcycle travel
    Well welcome to the Behind the Curve club. The Nam era hammock would put you more than 20 years back though. My take is find a modern hammock (my choice is obvious...look left) for the packed size and overall comfort.

The moto hammock camp set is almost complete. What a joy it will be to sleep all night (in soon to be downy warm comfort) and wake with hips, knees, and back not screaming at me!

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HH HexFly
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Rings w/Caribiner
    Quote Originally Posted by the_gr8t_waldo View Post
    does anyone know of a source for the 60-70's gov. issue, jungle hammock? i would prefer new but would consider used , as long as it was still serviceable. ebay seems like too much of a gamble. i might be 20 years behind the curve, but would like to use one for motorcycle travel
    If your concerned about dealing with Ebay, here is some comparison options for you to consider. I have been buying from ebay for 12 yrs and never a problem. BUT I check the sellers feedback data and if they have sold over 100 items and are at 100% I feel safe. If you see one that had 15,000 and had a 98% rating the old saying “You cant please everyone” holds true usually.

Ebay: WOODLAND CAMO JUNGLE HAMMOCK 78" X 30" X 20"
    http://cgi.ebay.com/WOODLAND-CAMO-JU...item746ac79317

Amazon.Com: Texsport Wilderness Hammock with Mosquito Netting
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Texsport-Wildern...item3eff5cdef6

I am a biker it is very obvious from my name. I can say that buying a good hammock will change the way you think when sleeping out of doors. Or in for that matter. Here is my setup.

Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip w/Hex Fly
    Hennessy Super Shelter 4 with Over Cover
    Arrowhead KAQ UQ “New River”
    SnugPak Softie Hawk 9 sleeping bag conversion to TQ
    4’x6’ Rubber Canvas ground tarp
    All of this fits nicely in US Military 9 Strap Sleeping Bag Compression and becomes waterproofed when I wrap it in my ground tarp.

I have been down to 25 deg with layered clothing during the 1st Annual Florida Hang and was comfy as could be.

Just got back from Bike Week in Daytona where I camped for 5 nights and was the only hammock in the campgrounds. Probably 200+ tent campers. Good size group of BMW riders strolled over to check out my hammock. Many were very pleased with what they saw.

I am off the end of this month for a trip to Louisana for La HOG Rally then out to E Tx, NE Tx, Tn, NC, Wash DC for “Rolling Thunder” and then down to run the Tail of the Dragon in Deals Gap, NC and meander my way back to Florida by mid June.

Hope the info I wrote will give you some food for thought. Many to choose from. All have their fine points I am sure. My only experience is with the Hennessy.
    Last edited by Winchester52; 03-17-2011 at 15:31.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    I got a brand new Jungle Hammock made to military specs (bullet proof, so to speak). I bought it at an Army Navy store, the paper used for packing was still on it. Canvas body and nylon bug net and rain fly all in one.

That is what started me into hammock camping, it was crude but still much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

I have a genuine issue Jungle Hammock with net and attached canopy and also a issue regular nylon hammock by itself. Everyone is right about the new ones being better but some people like the older things. PM me if your interested. M1965 both OD Green. I was keeping them for spares but I could make you a good deal.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    40* TQ, 20* Zeppli
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast