Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Homemade PeaPod???

I am fixing to get my start on hammock camping and want to be warm for sure. I am thinking a pea pod might be much easier than trying to make under and over quilts. Is there anywhere with some detailed instructions? I've looked and cant find anything. Would it not be correct to just make a bag, with cinches on each end, velcro to connect the sides? Oh yeah, just a little smaller than the hammock or what? I mean if I had a 108" x 60" hammock, wouldn't I just need to make a 108" x 120" pea pod? Maybe Im a little lost on my figures. Waiting to hear all the suggestions! Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by john30563 View Post
    I am fixing to get my start on hammock camping and want to be warm for sure. I am thinking a pea pod might be much easier than trying to make under and over quilts. Is there anywhere with some detailed instructions? I've looked and cant find anything. Would it not be correct to just make a bag, with cinches on each end, velcro to connect the sides? Oh yeah, just a little smaller than the hammock or what? I mean if I had a 108" x 60" hammock, wouldn't I just need to make a 108" x 120" pea pod? Maybe Im a little lost on my figures. Waiting to hear all the suggestions! Thanks in advance.
    Even though I do not own one, peapods are football shaped so that the insulation in not crushed. Sounds like a good idea, but make sure that you make it big enough so that you are comfortable, and so that you do not crush the isulation on the bottom.

Others will chime in soon too
    Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i don't remember hearing anyone talk about making a peapod, but the way you described should work.
    if you could find a way to taper the ends like Preacha Man was talking about, you could indeed reduce your weight & bulk.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

I am going to study on this for a day or two. I would really like to use down, but like I said, on a budget, so I gotta decide what I want to use. Anyway, thanks for all the help so far. And for all the help to come.

Images
    I think you are going to need it to be longer than your hammock. That's because you will need to hang it so that it has a good bit more sag than your hammock I figure at least 6" minimum lower at the low point. And maybe more than that- I sometimes have nearly a foot between them. And you'll need plenty of room if you add any thing down there ( clothing, leaves, space blanket, quilt) to add to the insulation. The Speer PeaPod is 9.5 feet long, which is 1 foot longer than the Speer 8.5 hammock it is designed for. It is about 6 feet wide in the middle, tapering towards the ends.

See, here is the thing that was sort of surprising to me: The pod does not sag near as much as the hammock it is attached to, when you get in. I'm not sure why so much difference and I was surprised.

I use a lot of sag in my Speer hammock, and I don't yet know if that increases the amount of sag needed in the pod to avoid compressing insulation. But regardless, you will need enough extra length for at least 6" of sag.

But other than that, I think you are on the right path. Just a large enough rectangular bag with cinch cords on the end to close it up and attach to the hammock, and it ought to work.

Images
    PS
    I should add that I think the PeaPod has about 6" on each end that has no insulation, it is just nylon for the purpose of surrounding the hammock end and cinching down. And, as long as you could get adequate sag and space underneath, it might not have to be long enough to reach the end of your hammock. Since your head and feet don't go very near the hammock end anyway. But if the bag won't go pretty near the narrow ends of th hammock, you probably wont have as good of a seal on the ends. If that was a problem, you could probably stuf some clothing in there to block any draft.

And it will have to be wide enough to go down one side of the hammock, across the bottom and come up over the other edge and across top back to the other edge. Actually, meeting in the middle for closure. Preferably with enough slack that the top part will sag at least a little bit down towards you in the hammock. So that the air gap above you is not just huge. Speers pod is 72" wide, and I've been glad it was not even an inch smaller. But I am a bit broad shouldered with a bit of a gut.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-08-2008 at 23:31.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    A pea pod clone is not a good project for a first DIY sewing project! Those things are complicated. All the curves, etc. can be a bear.

Try a synthetic quilt (over, under doesn't matter) with cheap fabrics. Get the hang of it , then after you have a few projects under your belt, come back to the peapod idea. A quilt is a rectangle, and with synthetics and no baffles, relatively simple. A peapod is a LOT more complicated and will consume a whole lot of time. Better to experience a few simple successes first, then learn to deal with the challenges of a more difficult project.

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Check out this. Especially since down is not a must.

http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/DIYGear...uilt/index.htm

Looks like a good starter project since it is just a rectangle with drawstring ends. I made something similar with cheap wally world fabric and quilt batting. A little heavy but functional and was really low cost. Made mine 100 long 72 wide. It is roomy. Used a double layer of 1/2 inch quilt batting.
    Last edited by Kanguru; 01-09-2008 at 02:22.
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    The pod does not sag near as much as the hammock it is attached to, when you get in. I'm not sure why so much difference and I was surprised.
    Because the hammock material is weighted and stretches, but the peapod material doesn't support any weight and doesn't stretch.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Because the hammock material is weighted and stretches, but the peapod material doesn't support any weight and doesn't stretch.
    Does this work pretty much the same with regular UQs? Like the JRBs? So that they also need a good bit of space between the unweighted hammock and quilt?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-09-2008 at 18:56.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast