WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Ok, no pics, but I couldn't wait. I sprayed a link with a light coat of plasti-dip, turned on the fan and waited 30 minutes...

With a rubberized link, (button uncoated) it was awesome!

The coating eventually rubbed off, but I'll clean one up with some sandpaper and try again with a heavier coating. I couldn't make it fail pulling either perpendicular to the fabric, or along the length, unless I pulled against the opening on the link.

Nice Idea! I don't think my kids will miss a few links. You saved me $12 in clips and shipping! Thanks!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I've been wanting to try the plasti-dip trick on my own commercial grip clips to keep them from sliding, but we get so much sunshine here in Colorado that I rarely even end up needing my tarp, so I've lost the motivation

Images
    My suggestion would be to take a disk of something and cut a slot from one side into the middle. The fabric just behind the button would slide into this slot. A bit like the sliding security chains on front doors.

You might be able to take a large washer and cut a notch in it. Plastic would be lighter and possibly stronger. Maybe a thick rubber-made type plastic that isn't going to snap.

The question is, does this slotted disk then bear most of the tension or is it going to rip around the edges of the button if you stress it enough?

Images
    Another option might be some strong neodymium magnets. They'd have the advantage of not requiring excess fabric and you could use one just weak enough to give way before the fabric rips.

Get a disk shaped magnet for the inside of the tarp. For the outside use metal post style buttons so you have a loop to attach your guy line to. If the attraction isn't strong enough then place a circle magnet over the post. If its going to be really windy then sandwich something between the tarp and the inside magnet so that the force is distributed more. Or the angle used might just cause these to slide apart. Might be worth a try though.

A also suspect some of these super tiny ones could be quite useful for bugnets and maybe even underquilts.

Hammock
    WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    could you use a diamnond knotted loop as the button and a small whoopie to cinch over it as the paper clip? or is this the pebble line thing?

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    A stopper knot and a soft shackle (small whoopieish thing) may work.
    This is similar to the pebble and ghe string.
    I felt the button and the chain link do not pull the fabric as much.
    Someone just kindly sent me some soft shackles to pkay with so I may try it.
    BTW my final vetsion used larger buttons and a plastic chain link about 1-1.5" long. The paperclip was not strong enuf. The plastic chain link is sprayed with plastidip to keep the skippery fabric from sliding thru.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    very cool thread. can't believe I never tried to make my own before. just was lazy and bought some last year haha. mine havent really slipped on me though but I know they do
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    Another option might be some strong neodymium magnets. They'd have the advantage of not requiring excess fabric and you could use one just weak enough to give way before the fabric rips.

Get a disk shaped magnet for the inside of the tarp. For the outside use metal post style buttons so you have a loop to attach your guy line to. If the attraction isn't strong enough then place a circle magnet over the post. If its going to be really windy then sandwich something between the tarp and the inside magnet so that the force is distributed more. Or the angle used might just cause these to slide apart. Might be worth a try though.

A also suspect some of these super tiny ones could be quite useful for bugnets and maybe even underquilts.
    Sil is pretty fragile, I'd be concerned about cutting it...

Quote Originally Posted by HomeMadeHiker View Post
    could you use a diamnond knotted loop as the button and a small whoopie to cinch over it as the paper clip? or is this the pebble line thing?
    You could, but this is no different than the pebble/penny trick. the whole reason for moving away from that was to reduce the localized stress on the fabric, and to reduce the impact of a puckered-stretch mark on your nice tarp

I found my chain last night, I have 8-10 links laying about. I'll get them roughed up and plasti-dip coated next week. When they're ready we'll figure out who gets 'em.

John
    Last edited by JohnSawyer; 10-27-2011 at 18:17.

Hammock
    $26 Parachute Nylon made by VIVERE
    Tarp
    12'x14' chinook
    Insulation
    Military Sleep Sys
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ok, so after reading through the thread, I wonder a couple things.
    1) why does the line come from button, rather than the plastic chain link?
    2) could you just use a standard washer, or is there too much risk of it cutting the tarp?
    My Hammock camping adventures, and more can be seen here:
    ***WARNING! Many of my videos contain language some may find inappropriate!***
    http://www.youtube.com/FAQUAD2010

Thanks for all your help, advice and more!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    The chain link is Inside the tarp. The button is outside.

If you reversed it, and tied to the chain, you couldn't keep it parallel to the fabric, and the button would pull out.

If you go the larkshead around the button technique, then the button would be inside, the fabric wrapped around it, and tied off.

The whole reason for using chain/button is to reduce the amount of puckering, which could leave permanent stretch marks in a sil tarp, or cause long term damage. The button, when pushed through the chain link, gathers less fabric...

John

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234