DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    My "ideal" distance with a BB is about 12'. Conveniently, this happens to be the same as the distance between the tips of my trekking poles if I hold them in a T shape. Makes finding the perfect trees easier.

My "easy to setup" range is about 10-1/2' to 16'. Beyond that I have to use the trekking poles to shove the tree straps high enough.

When I first started, I used to really crank my ridgeline very tight. I later learned that I'd get a more comfortable lay with a bit of angle in the suspension line. Brandon's video works pretty well for me. I've honestly never precisely measured the angle I use, but I'd guess it varies between 20-40°, depending on distance between trees and my mood.
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I have not had a hard time at all getting the s curve thing to work. If you are on the groung, simply raise the attachment points on the trees and maintain the 30 degrees.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7sl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe spin
    Insulation
    3 s incubator
    Suspension
    adjustable web
    And if I remember Brandon is sitting in the hammock when he demonstrates the tension on the line. When I do it that way, when I lay down the RL is tighter like you mention.
    " It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed." Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7sl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe spin
    Insulation
    3 s incubator
    Suspension
    adjustable web
    No I was wrong Brandon is laying down when he shows the tension on the RL, my bad.
    " It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed." Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Since I don't often have a choice about where to set up my hammock (I'm using campgrounds and have to be happy if they have 2 trees at all), I find myself often faced with distances of 8-10 m (26-33 feet). This means I have to get the suspension up pretty high. I found that using Warbonnet's webbing and some decent carabiners (I'm using the Camp Nano 23) helps me climb up that high without a ladder. That wouldn't be possible with whoopies and Dutch clips.

Otherwise I'm only getting the hang of setting up the hammock perfectly now, after using it for ~6 months...

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Ok yesterday I setup in the front yard again and I know those trees are at ~18' apart. This time I was able to setup and get it a reasonable distance off the ground by making the RL a little tighter than recommended but not so tight it felt like it was bearing the load. Still had to pitch pretty low but nothing like the ground kissing I was doing at the campground. I'm not sure why I was having that much trouble there. Possible I was rushing it trying to get set before the next wave of rain hit. So it seems like I should be back to about the same good range as the old Clark at 13 to 16'. I'll have to give the hiking pole method a try too. Although I have trouble sometimes with the tree bark snagging just on my tip toes. Imagine its even more fun poking at it with a pole.

The park ranger was amused by the setup. Said he'd not seen a rig like that in the park before. I was relieved that he didn't give me any grief about it attaching to the trees. although it is simple to see why they make that rule. Hardly a tree there without something nailed or screwed into it.

Anyway it was a cool night. Lots of rain, lots of Coyote calls in the night, clearing and a really bright full moon and a great morning and blue sky! All that and I slept well with just the occasional bathroom break. I don't understand why I can produce urine at 3x my normal rate in the woods? I never have to get up at night at home but outdoors I'm lucky if I only need to get up to go twice.

Should have a quick video up soon. I really like the BB so far. I guess there just is not any hammock design though, even with a RL, that doesn't take some time to climb the learning curve on.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    I can do the "s" thing without me in the hammock. When I lay in it, it's tight. Stress on the RL doesn't concern me much because I swapped the original with 1/8" amsteel. Keep messin withit, you'll find what works for you.
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12