Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images

Wayne National OH Symmes Creek/Morgan Sisters Trail

Day 1- Me, Crackedup, and Krugd hiked the Symmes Creek/Morgan Sisters trail on a 2 night trip this weekend. I got to the trailhead about noon and found Crackedup waiting patiently. We started the trail about 1230 and had a nice hikin to the rock formations. We lolly gagged around for a bit checkin out the sights and found a couple of unopened budlights and lugged them in our packs for a trail treat later. There are alot of beer cans along this trail as it is part of an ATV trail in places. It looks to be bit of a love nest as well. About the time we were done lookin around Krugd caught up with us and we were all three on our way. It started to drizzle about that time so we stopped to throw on our pack covers. Crackedup has a magic Packa because as soon as he put it on his pack the rain stopped. Wouldn't ya know it we were making a steep climb and it started to downpour. Yep Crackedup had removed his Packa and the rain came back. Packa back on rain stops. After pushin on we made it to Kenton Lake and found a stream to filter some water. I was beat. We found a spot in some pines and got our tarps setup just in time because it started to rain and we were pretty much confined to our tarps until morning. Overnight low 36f. Distance covered about 6.5 miles

Day 2- We got up had breakfast and packed up to hit the trail to a nice clear sky. We stopped and had some lunch, excellent idea Don. We sat around in the sun for about 30 minutes and packed our stoves back up to hit the trail again. We came to some old building foundations and looked around a bit then headed downhill a half mile to filter some water. After that we headed up hill along a portion of the trail that had a great view of Symmes Creek. It was very narrow high up on the side of a hill. We made it back to the bridge and headed uphill again. We found a nice spot on top and setup camp about 4ish. We spent the rest of the evening relaxing, enjoyin the sun, and havin dinner. Once the sun went down we were treated to a great view of the Supermoon. It was like watchin a night version of a sunrise. I left my porch up and fell asleep to the moon rising into the night. Crackedup and Krugd heard some coyotes later on. Overnight low 32f. Distance covered about 4.5 miles.

Day 3 - We all woke up refreshed about 7am. I had BFTH this time choosing to stay in the warmth of my Incubator and Burrow until I absolutely had to get up. We broke camp and had a really nice hike out to the trailhead for the last mile and a half or so. I was really glad to have someone out there with me because there were a few places I would have gotten lost. Crackedup was indispensable with his GPS Map app and Krugd is a very experianced hiker and his trail knowledge was much appreciated. Thanks again for the Tyvek groundcloth! My battery took a dive after the first day so the pics are from day 1.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Sorry I missed this one. Sounds like you guys had a great time.

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Great report Mike. After the three hour drive home my muscles started tightening up. So I'm hiking around our property to loosen up a bit. I'll get those pics up as soon as I get back to the house. Hopefully the "super moon" pics turn out.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedup View Post
    Great report Mike. After the three hour drive home my muscles started tightening up. So I'm hiking around our property to loosen up a bit. I'll get those pics up as soon as I get back to the house. Hopefully the "super moon" pics turn out.
    can't wait to see'um.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    Sorry I missed this one. Sounds like you guys had a great time.
    Gonna start lookin at another OH trail for the next hike, maybe late April.

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    First is our trip reports from the AccuTerra app that was tracking us most of the way, with exception to this morning due to low battery. This should take you to google maps to show our route. Also will be photos I took along the way that is geo tagged at place taken.

Day 1 Symmes Creek Morgan Sisters Trail
    Day 2 Symmes Creek Morgan Systers Trail

If you have trouble with the pics from the above links, let me know and I'll load them from the phone and post. Below is some pics I snapped with my camera. You can see some pics of the super moon, I was playing around with different shutter speeds to try to get the best shot of the moon I could. I was also having trouble using the attachment do hicky, so I just uploaded to photo bucket.

I uploaded the rest of the pics to the PhotoBucket albulm in the link below. You guys should be able to download any of them you want.
    Link to all pics below

---------------
    Last edited by BearChaser; 03-20-2011 at 17:40.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    sweet feature on that phone!

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    sweet feature on that phone!
    It is kinda cool. I just need to find a better solar charger or a backup battery charger. It's kinda strange, but the stats that it kept on the phone was dead on, but when I emailed it to myself, the start/stop time was messed up.

Day 1 Stats.
    Time: Start: 4:29:36 PM, Stop: 9:37:14 PM
    Duration: 5 hr 7 min 38 sec
    Distance: 6.6 miles
    Speed: Average Speed: 1.3 miles/hr, Average Pace: 46:36 mm:ss/mile
    Elevation: Minimum: +580 feet, Maximum: +954 feet
    (Note: this was tracking us for awhile while we where filtering water. That is why our pace is way off from what it was. If you remember, we averaged about 30 min/mile while hiking. Course we did take a couple breaks here and there)

Day 2 Stats.
    Time: Start: 1:46:08 PM, Stop: 7:29:16 PM
    Duration: 5 hr 43 min 8 sec
    Distance: 5.4 miles
    Speed: Average Speed: 0.9 miles/hr, Average Pace: 01:03:15 hh:mm:ss/mile
    Elevation: Minimum: +616 feet, Maximum: +964 feet
    (Note: Elevation is supposed to be accurate to 19')

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedup View Post
    It is kinda cool. I just need to find a better solar charger or a backup battery charger. It's kinda strange, but the stats that it kept on the phone was dead on, but when I emailed it to myself, the start/stop time was messed up.

Day 1 Stats.
    Time: Start: 4:29:36 PM, Stop: 9:37:14 PM
    Duration: 5 hr 7 min 38 sec
    Distance: 6.6 miles
    Speed: Average Speed: 1.3 miles/hr, Average Pace: 46:36 mm:ss/mile
    Elevation: Minimum: +580 feet, Maximum: +954 feet
    (Note: this was tracking us for awhile while we where filtering water. That is why our pace is way off from what it was. If you remember, we averaged about 30 min/mile while hiking. Course we did take a couple breaks here and there)

Day 2 Stats.
    Time: Start: 1:46:08 PM, Stop: 7:29:16 PM
    Duration: 5 hr 43 min 8 sec
    Distance: 5.4 miles
    Speed: Average Speed: 0.9 miles/hr, Average Pace: 01:03:15 hh:mm:ss/mile
    Elevation: Minimum: +616 feet, Maximum: +964 feet
    (Note: Elevation is supposed to be accurate to 19')
    WOW that is some really cool information. It's interesting to see how close guestimations come to scientific stats. We went farther than I thought on day 2. I have to get somethin like that.

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    MamMike, it was nice seeing you again. And good job with the trip report. It looks like you got pictures of the nice stuff (excepting that moon.) Thanks again for the loan of the biner and shoickcord - it made that second nite much warmer with a center support for my UQ. I'm looking forward to a warm nights sleep - it was nice testing the summer Phoenix to see how cold it could go, but I wasn't expecting temps to drop that low. It did work to 32 degrees, but with some CBS.

It was nice meeting you Cracked Up. I enjoyed the pictures and am impressed by the software. Hope to see you at a hang again. Perhaps I'll make if out to Dolly Sods some time.

I left my laptop at work and will have to wait to get my pictures downloaded tomorrow.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast