Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

A few random thoughts...

So I made a zippered TravelPod. Not perfect yet, but I like it. Thing is, I made it barely to short to use with my most recent down hammock. So I made another hammock, shorter and wider, to fit the pod. I was kinda surprised at what I found.

- This one is much more comfortable than the down hammock. I started with 62"x114", hemmed, and used a zip-tie instead of whipping. I think I'm back to using full-width material.

- Also, with the shorter hammock I'll get better end-coverage with the tarp. Except I'll be more diagonal, so the coverage by my feet and head might be a bit worse. Doubt it'll make much difference either way.

- The two-way zipper on the TravelPod is much more convenient than the drawstring opening on the hammock sock. I think I made the pod too wide, though...haven't decided if I want it smaller or not. Right now it'll fit over the ridgeline and still give me some space underneath the hammock. I could remove an ounce or three of material, though.

- Here's the funny thing - the material I used for the hammock is very staticky. So that got me thinking. I bet if I used this fabric for the top layer of a down hammock, the static would cause the down to stick to the underside...right against my back. No cold spots that way!

- I made a 6 oz backpack, too. At first it was even bigger than my Speed, but I took some of the thickness out. Now it's probably 2300ci or so, with a water bottle pocket on each side and a mesh tarp pocket on the back. I put a panel against my back to hold a sit-pad and act as a frame. After making this one, I think a gearskin-type pack might be even easier to make than a normal pack.

I'll have pics and details of these up on the website sometime...hopefully before the move.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    that`s interresting about the static & the down. i wonder how consistant that would be? seems to be way to consistant on a few of my shirts<G>.
    looking forward to those photos & other details.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    I love the 5' wide hammock I made. I just hem the edges and keep the starting width. I am still thinking about the zipper opening on the travel pod. The downside I see is it laying a little strange if you do not want to fully inclose the hammock. I like pulling the sock up to about shoulder level similar to a quilt. The big advantage I see is adding it after the hammock is hung and needing less material and saving weight.

Add some pics if you can Jeff. I would be interested in seeing your travel pod.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'll get some pics up when I can. This is a two-way zipper, so I can zip it closed from each end. So I can zip it right up to the back of my neck, then zip the other end right up to the front of my neck - so only my head is sticking out. Or open it up any amount in between.

The width is the problem right now - I like being able to zip it around the ridgeline like a full tent, but when it's not zipped most of the way, the bottom touches the ground. I can either keep it like it is, or remove enough material from the bottom that it hangs like Risk's TravelPod. Haven't decided yet...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    I couldn't agree more about the width. I've been sleeping in my hammock for over a month now. With 56 in. finished width and about 11 foot length I can lie almost flat.

I would also appreciate pictures of the pack. Reading about hiking has me ready to try an overnight on the Florida Trail up near Ocala. I would need a pack for that.

After toting my lavishly big homemades, I just might begin to obscess about ounces like the rest of you do!!<G>

Miles of Smiles

Tom

- Here's the funny thing - the material I used for the hammock is very staticky. So that got me thinking. I bet if I used this fabric for the top layer of a down hammock, the static would cause the down to stick to the underside...right against my back. No cold spots that way!
    Jeff,
    Don't count on the static being constant. It may well decrease as the material ages, and will certainly vary with the weather. The static will likely go away in damp weather.

My kingdom for my butt in the woods

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    My first hammock is probably 53-54 inches wide, finished. Even with a ridge line to adjust the sag the shoulder area is a little tighter than I like. It's still comfortable but not as comfortable as my ~60" hammocks.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    That looks good Jeff. 6oz for a pack. Wow.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    thanks jeff. looks good. i`ll be studying that more in the days to come.
    i hope to make a pack too.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast