ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Thumbs up First Down TQ

Hey everyone, I just finished my first down-filled TQ and I want to thank Ramblinrev for the technical help as well as the confidence boost I got from his videos. They were a wonderful aid to make this go smoothly.

I would also like to mention Shug, Fronkey, Knotty, and everyone else that posted their DIY projects that caused me to start my own. Thanks alot! Like I didn't have enough to do already! J/K

Joking aside, the finished product weighs only 17 3/8 oz, which is lighter than I anticipated. This quilt is for my wife and she is a cold sleeper so it is only a summer quilt for her. After I make my TQ it will be on to UQ's and I'm thinking I might try IX instead of down. If anyone has any opinions for or against this I'm willing to listen to all advice.

My wife wanted orange to match her DN, so I purchased some ripstop nylon, thread, velcro, and cord locks at Fabric Warehouse(the headquarters is only 30 miles from my home) and ordered the 800+ fill down online from DownLite . $100 for 1 lb was fair price for what I could find online and the package is enough to make two TQ's. I finished it with 1/8" shcokcord that I bought for making tarp tensioners from Defender. I bought a lifetime supply of 160' (don't ask me why I do some of the things I do) so I figure I could use it as liberally as I please.

It only took me about half of a day to make it but it was stretched out over a weeks time. Hopefully my other projects will go quicker. All together I spent about $170 on all of the materials to make two TQ's so I feel that this was a good idea in the end even though it would have been much easier to order from some of the good craftsmen that belong to the forum. Trust me, there were several times (filling each baffle) that I asked myself why I was doing this but I'm happy in the end and my wife has been wearing it on the couch since I finished it. She even got frustrated with me trying it on her and taking it away to attach the velcro.

Once again, thanks to Ramblinrev and everyone else that posted their completed projects and advice. I never would have tried if it wasn't for this wealth of knowledge.

-Dan
    Just Hangin' around since 2010.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Wow, really nice TQ! I can't wait to see what your down UQ's look like! I might be the first in line! Very nice work, I'm sure you and your wife will enjoy the downy goodness for many years to come!

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Looks warm & cozy
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Very nice looking quilt!!
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Way to be brave and go for it!!!

Nice looking quilt.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Love the color, looks like you did a great job..
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• + New Posts