Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    Kelty NOAH 12X12
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubator

1st. Hammock choice

Hello I have never yet been in a hammock (sleeping or even sitting)but really want to try one out for camping due to everything I hear about the comfort factor.
    Im 5'10 250lb and am considering the HH EXPLORER DELUXE A-SYM ZIP
    with the hex fly.
    I also like the fact that everything is included with this hammock set up

I know there are a lot of very good hammocks out there but I wanted to hear from some of the good people here about my choice (for a beginner) for a hammock.
    Any info is welcome
    Thanks
    George

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I'm not an experienced hanger.

I just did my first hang Friday night...in exactly the setup you are considering, only I'd picked up the HH SuperShelter too, given that the temps were down in the upper 30s.

I'm built similar to you from the sounds of it...5'6", around 200 lbs.

The Explorer Deluxe worked fine for me. Also got the hex, and I've got NO complaints whatsoever.

My only suggestion to you would be to ask them to upgrade you to the 72" treehugger straps. For 5 bucks more it definitely helps if you're not sure how big the trees are going to be. I don't think we'd have been good with the smaller straps on our hang.

I've not tried all the other choices out there...I can only tell you that I have no complaints with the HHED that I've got.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    You might check out the Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning thread to find a hang near you:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/f...splay.php?f=44

Should be lots of folks in your area who would let look at their gear and maybe even climb in to see how it fits you.
    FAR better to try it before you buy it... however, the For Sale section is pretty good for selling anything that you buy and later find you don't like.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I own a warbonnet blackbird, warbonnet traveler, hennessy expedition, and grand trunk tavel hammock. I've tried an eno single, and laid in a bear mountain bridge. My hammock of choice is the warbonnet blackbird by far (though I can't even compare to a bridge hammock since they're totally different). I've really wanted to try an explorer but just can't handle forking out that much money for the ultralight one right now. The tarp that comes with it though, imho, is very minimal. The tree straps are tiny. The suspension is a pain to work with. Of course all these things could be changed with upgrades or after market stuff, but of course at a cost in addition to the hammock.

If I wanted to get a set up from a single company I'd get a the 1.0 double layer blackbird, $130 and the edge tarp, $85. More coverage, more features for about the same price. And lighter. But this is only MY opinion. Not knocking the exploer, I'd love to have one. Go to hangs and check out other peoples kits first if you can.

By the way, I'm 5'7"ish and 180lbs

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    Kelty NOAH 12X12
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubator
    Thanks for the info, the choices are getting harder.
    Way 2 many things to choose from.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    this is all my humble opinion.

most hammocks have their good and not so good points.

when i was researching (reading on the web) what to buy for my first hammock, i nearly went with a hennessy. at that time they didn't offer a zippered entry... i checked them all out, online. then i found HF and started reading all the mfg forums, alphabetically. after reading thru them all, i was most impressed by was the blackbird. i wish it had a removable bug net and was easier to see out of when i'm zipped in. imho, those short comings are what make it possible to have it's good points, mainly the foot box and shelf, which out weigh the net and vision, for me.
    i think my next hammock will be a switchback. the sb has the removable net and better visibility, but no structural ridge line, foot box or shelf. i'll probably use the bb for summer (bug season) camping and the sb for cooler season with a "pod" for insulation, which would be difficult with a bb.

i think hammocks are kinda like shoes, a lot of things factor in to their purchase, but ultimately it comes down to personal comfort.

Hammock
    DIY 1.5S
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamba
    Insulation
    EE Revel., HG Inc.
    Suspension
    Hoverboard System
    Images
    You could always make your own! I haven't ever been in a hammock either, but I really have wanted to try one out, so I decided to make my own from the instructions here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15205. They're actually very straightforward instructions and then you could spend more money on a better tarp - or make yourself one of those too. You just got to be brave - I've never even used a sewing machine before! (although I do have help)

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    rccress give sage advice, try before you buy when possible and a group hang always presents many hanging opportunities in various rigs....I've found over the years and 14 hammocks that sometimes the simplest solution is the best and often the simplest gives the most possibilities. and that reminds me, Brandon is supposed to have something simple coming my way.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Medicineman, is this simple hammock something super special, like a bridge hammock maybe? Or a classic trusty traveler or blackbird? Or top secret? Haha

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by geoforge View Post
    Thanks for the info, the choices are getting harder.
    Way 2 many things to choose from.
    Aaaand just to complicate things a bit more; I (obviously) like the WB hammocks but the HH does call and I will probably end up with one someday. The big reason involves possible modifications...other than suspension farkles which is obvious IMHO. 2QZQ has a variety of zipper modifications, the one that allows the netting to be unzipped and completely out of the way sings to me.

I'd agree that attending a group hang or finding hangers local to test hang is a very good idea...one option that was not readily available on the Left Coast.

• + New Posts