Hammock
    Eno Single Nest
    Tarp
    Campmor 8' Sq Nyln
    Insulation
    Thermarest 3 Seasn

Looking to upgrade

Hello all, I was very excited to find this site in my search for my next hammock. I started hammock camping three years ago on a whim just to see how it compared to tent camping. Of course the weekend we chose to camp consisted of rain and then a bit more rain and then some wind and rain. You know what? I've never stayed so dry on a camping trip.
    I was an immediate convert. Over the next three years, I've made converts of my girlfriend and just about every other person that has come camping with us.

With the camping season coming up, I'm ready to upgrade my gear. I started with a Grand Trunk Ultralight (Campmor special) and really liked it while it lasted. After a couple of seasons though, it broke in a spectacular fashion (a story to be related at some future point) and it was immediately replaced with an Eno Single Nest. Honestly, it isn't quite right for me. I find the fabric really stretchy and have noticed that I can't seem to get as diagonal as i had with the Grand Trunk. So, I'm hear to look for advice on what my next hammock should be (leaning towards one of the Hennessys or Warbonnet Blackbirds currently).

Also, I just noticed that there were meetups through this site and now i'm really looking forward to taking a trip or two with other people in the northern nj/nyc area.

Thanks in advance.
    --matt

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Welcome! Lots of us in NJ. Why don't you get together with other HF members that have some of the hammocks in which you are interested and try them out? I have a BB and a HH Expedition as well as an ENO DoubleNest. There's also MAHHA coming up if you can wait that long.

Hammock
    Hennessey deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex fly
    Insulation
    UQ,SS,BP.
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    my advice is to put together a list of what features you want and then have the experts on here debate it awhile and they will come up with one for you. Reason I say that is I own two Hennessy's and a couple of DIY gathered end hammocks, and I do not seem to be able to get as comfortable in them as I would like. I have issues with my knees hurting. Long story short I checked into bridge hammocks thanks to tee-dee's and grizz, and that is going to be my next DIY project, because they are easier on your knees and you get a flatter lay. just my 2 cents!
    "To God Alone Be The Glory"

Hammock
    Eno Single Nest
    Tarp
    Campmor 8' Sq Nyln
    Insulation
    Thermarest 3 Seasn

Looking to Upgrade

Thanks for the quick replies. I was planning on doing exactly that, summarizing my requirements and asking for advice but I didn't think that I would get responses so quickly. Is this the proper place to post for this type of advice or is there a more appropriate subforum i should use? Thanks again..
    --m

Hammock
    Hennessey deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex fly
    Insulation
    UQ,SS,BP.
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    just ask away, if the moderator feel it needs to be moved they will do it for you and give you a quick message telling you that it has been moved.

Hammock
    Eno Single Nest
    Tarp
    Campmor 8' Sq Nyln
    Insulation
    Thermarest 3 Seasn

My Next Hammock

Thanks again... so, here is what i'm looking for in my next hammock.
    I'm 6'1" and around 170 lbs and tend to do short hike-in camping although can be found car-camping or backwoods camping on the off occasion.

My biggest priorities are packed size/weight and comfort. I've never really had any of the "options" with my previous hammocks, so there is a good chance that I don't know what i don't know (or know what i'm missing). I have the eno slap straps and normal tree huggers and never had a problem with either, but that is about my experience with "suspension." I usually will just throw my 8'x8' campmor nylon tarp up as necessary in a diamond. Bugnetting seems like it would be nice (i've never had it before) but if i am to get a hammock with netting, it must come off... I want the option to remove it if the day is beautiful and i just want to enjoy laying in the open sunlight. I tend to sleep 50% on my back and 50% on my side which was never an issue with the Grand Trunk but has been an issue at times with the eno single nest. I really don't love the stretchiness of the fabric in the eno. Finally, we tend to hammock camp in nicer weather only (nights >40dF) and have yet to feel like i need any underquilting beyond my thermarest three season and a 20dF bag.

Price isn't a giant concern but value is... Thanks again

Hammock
    Hennessey deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex fly
    Insulation
    UQ,SS,BP.
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    On many of the hammocks with attached bug netting, it is easy to unzip and throw over the side, so that you can have a view. As far as your height you will need to get a taller hammock, as generally the normal size only goes up to six feet. Pack size and weight are going to push you in the direction of Warbonnet BlackBird or Homemade DIY. It seems to be the understanding to me that if you want smaller size and weight, you have to go the DIY route. DIY if you are capable will let you choose the options you want and let you choose how comfortable and light you want it. There are many forums that explain step by step on how to make one, I did it myself and was not as difficult as I thought. hope this helps.

Hammock
    wb traveler/bb 1.1d, hh scua, gt ul
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    have a look at the offerings at warbonnetoutdoors.com. the bugnet is removable and your weight is ok for 1.1 hammocks. 60 bucks (75 for the double layer one) plus 65 for the separate bugnet. i suggest webbing as the choice of suspension
    a have the black bird from them and if hung right it's perfection incorporated, but the bugnet on that one unzips on one side only, so maybe not what you're after. happy camping!

funny that i just ordered a gt ul for its weight and price

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Axolotl View Post
    ...if i am to get a hammock with netting, it must come off... I want the option to remove it if the day is beautiful and i just want to enjoy laying in the open sunlight.
    2QZQ offers a conversion for the HH to make it possible for the Skeeter net to tuck up out of the way. But then WBBB now comes with ties near the foot box to bring the netting more out of your way. Best bang for my buck is WBBB IMHO but I am still secretly looking at an HH with the 2QZQ mod...that might all change when I order a WBBB 1.1 dbl for my wife and check out the tie backs.

Of the want of and the purchasing of hammocks and gear there seems to be no end.

Quote Originally Posted by kobold View Post
    have a look at the offerings at warbonnetoutdoors.com. the bugnet is removable and your weight is ok for 1.1 hammocks. 60 bucks (75 for the double layer one) plus 65 for the separate bugnet.
    The WB Traveler...that is.

Hammock
    Eno Single Nest
    Tarp
    Campmor 8' Sq Nyln
    Insulation
    Thermarest 3 Seasn

Traveler it is

Thanks to the feedback here, I actually ordered the WB Traveler SL 1.6 exactly a week ago. Still haven't been notified of its shipping, but suffice to say that i'm rather excited. I hope to post a glowing review in a couple weeks if the temperature ever approaches spring like levels here.

• + New Posts