Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    What pack is that hangin there? Is that the pack from BPL?
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Wow, this thread exploded, when I wasn't paying attention. Let's see...

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Is that a weathershield over your netting and if so, is it DIY or commercially bought. It appears to be the same color as your UQ. I'd like to buy or make something like that for my WBBB 1.0.

Thanks, Miguel
    Not sure what you're referring to, but there's nothing on the netting. Just a vanilla Warbonnet setup.

Quote Originally Posted by jackleberry View Post
    What tripod did you get and how much does it weigh and cost?
    I bought a new Benro C0180T tripod and B0 Ballhead They come in at around 2.1 pounds depending on whether I take the vertical extender or not. Love, love, love it! I think it came to around $430 total.

Quote Originally Posted by Slanket View Post
    Man, I forgot how much fun it is shooting clown-puke (aka HDR) photography. I need to bust out my SLR and start shooting again. What do you use to make HDR pictures?
    I enjoy it. I've gotten into doing some "serious" shots, as in you the colors aren't obnoxiously saturated and it looks like a real photo, only nothing is over or under exposed. I use Photomatix Pro to actually merge the images and effects, and then any other editing in Photoshop as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    What pack is that hangin there? Is that the pack from BPL?
    It's an Aarn Featherlite Freedom.
    If there's two ways to take my comments, assume it's the lighter and funnier of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by LyttleBryan View Post

I bought a new Benro C0180T tripod and B0 Ballhead They come in at around 2.1 pounds depending on whether I take the vertical extender or not. Love, love, love it! I think it came to around $430 total.
    Wow. Not exactly what I had in mind when you said lightweight. I think I'll stick with my vintage aluminum 2.8lbs KING Cine Elevating tripoid (~$5)

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Wow. Not exactly what I had in mind when you said lightweight. I think I'll stick with my vintage aluminum 2.8lbs KING Cine Elevating tripoid (~$5)
    You do that. We're all very proud of you and your tripod.

/reassuring_pat
    If there's two ways to take my comments, assume it's the lighter and funnier of the two.

You do that. We're all very proud of you and your tripod.

/reassuring_pat
    Your mental kung-fu has no power over me... Must... not... buy carbonfiber tripod...

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Your mental kung-fu has no power over me... Must... not... buy carbonfiber tripod...
    Do I need to start listing the things the things that a saved 8 ounces could be replaced by?

Do I need to start listing the things the things that a saved 8 ounces could be replaced by?
    No offense, man. I just thought that a modern carbon fiber setup would be significantly lighter than a vintage aluminum one. I've been thinking about switching to a GorrillaPod (6 to 10oz), a beanbag (~6-oz) or an improvised tripod made with two trekking poles and a third pole (could be trekking, could be a stiff tent pole) (12oz or so extra?). I'm not nuts about laying on the ground (obviously), so the GorrillaPod and beanbag aren't the most appealing. If spending $480 bucks only saves 8oz... I think that's one of the worst returns on investment I've seen yet in the UL backpacking realm. $480 can buy a lot of cuben fiber tarp, etc. I'm sure it's a nice tripod, and a ballhead is a nice thing to have--but $5 holds my camera and some pretty hefty lenses (500, 600mm) rock steady (and I don't even take the hefty ones backpacking). I could shave off 8oz just by replacing the head with one of those tiny wingnut ballheads from an old pin-leg tripod or removing a little material by drilling some holes in the legs. Just saying...

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    No offense, man. I just thought that a modern carbon fiber setup would be significantly lighter than a vintage aluminum one. I've been thinking about switching to a GorrillaPod (6 to 10oz), a beanbag (~6-oz) or an improvised tripod made with two trekking poles and a third pole (could be trekking, could be a stiff tent pole) (12oz or so extra?). I'm not nuts about laying on the ground (obviously), so the GorrillaPod and beanbag aren't the most appealing. If spending $480 bucks only saves 8oz... I think that's one of the worst returns on investment I've seen yet in the UL backpacking realm. $480 can buy a lot of cuben fiber tarp, etc. I'm sure it's a nice tripod, and a ballhead is a nice thing to have--but $5 holds my camera and some pretty hefty lenses (500, 600mm) rock steady (and I don't even take the hefty ones backpacking). I could shave off 8oz just by replacing the head with one of those tiny wingnut ballheads from an old pin-leg tripod or removing a little material by drilling some holes in the legs. Just saying...

I'm curious, what model number is your tripod? Truthfully while looking for tripods and asking for opinions there wasn't a single aluminum tripod that could touch the weight of this one unless it was a table top tripod.

I'm curious, what model number is your tripod? Truthfully while looking for tripods and asking for opinions there wasn't a single aluminum tripod that could touch the weight of this one unless it was a table top tripod.
    No model number that I can see. It's probably 40 years old, anyway, so I doubt they still make them (although eBay probably has similar models from time to time).

The only marking is "King Cine Elevating Tripod (JAPAN)". Has hollow [ cross-section extruded aluminum legs in three segments, sturdy, aluminum flip locks at each joint, pan/tilt head with verticall flip capability on a crank driven elevation stalk. Head can be removed to the bottom of the elevation stalk in for some close-up work on ground subjects. Very sturdy construction. Total height (elevated) is probably 5'. Packed up, it's 14 inches long and 2.8lbs. I picked it up at a garage sale decades ago. I believe it was intended for super 8 movie cameras. It's has long outlived my other tripods.

Here are some pics of it. It's a nice little tripod. I just wish I had something like it under 1 lbs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast