Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Eno Single Nest
    Tarp
    Campmor 8' Sq Nyln
    Insulation
    Thermarest 3 Seasn

Blackbird v Traveler

So, in the last 24 hours i've spent a good 18 researching various hammocks and the Warbonnets are quickly making it to the top of my list. I have always been a bit iffy on the attached (non-removable) bugnet, but one thing i liked about the BB was the concept that you could throw it over the side and sleep (mostly) open air. Then i noticed the Traveler: it is lighter, sounds like it has the same lay and i can always get the optional bugnet if i expect bothersome insects. (Note: my current hammock and the one before it never had a bugnet and i can only think of one or two trips that i found this to be a problem) and it is cheaper.

The traveler sounds pretty close to perfect. So then I started comparing the two and was hoping someone could help me finish the analysis and answer some questions.
    1) Can anyone confirm that they are comparable in comfort? as i understand it from other threads, the footbox only is necessary for the bugnet and wouldn't add anything for a hammock without the net.
    2) I have a Eno Single Nest now and my biggest complaint about it is how stretchy the fabric is. My old Grand Trunk (RIP) was more like "regular" nylon fabric and much less stretchy and i found it to be more comfortable (even if it was less breathable)... can any one tell me how the BB and traveler compare in fabric type to the SN?
    3) Weight and packed size are a priority (although, if i was honest with myself, 5-7 oz really doesnt make a difference for 75% of the camping i do) so is there really any chance that a 170 lbs man/boy such as myself could really get away with a single layer hammock?
    4) Are there additional advantages to having a double layer besides the ability to put insulation in there? (enough to justify the weight gain?)
    5) Does anyone have any thoughts on changing the suspension system? after watching some youtube videos, the buckle version seems really simple, but i'm not completely sold on it yet. Any thoughts on their default suspension system?
    6) Is there anything i've forgotten to ask?

Thanks in advance all
    --m

I've used both, tried out Stormcrows WBBB 1.1 dl and I have a traveler 1.7 dl. I loved the footbox of the WBBB, personally it made getting comfortable extremely easy, less fussing around. That being said, most people can't tell the difference, dimensions are pretty much the same and you can get just as flat with the traveler. I do prefer the option of taking my bugnet on and off though. Also in regards to double layer advantages, aside from what you mention, it creates a barrier against insects. Theory is the holes in the weave they would bite through will practically never align for them to bite you through a dbl layer.. there are some who claim otherwise though. For this reason I also prefer having a bug net that completely covers the hammock, that way I'm sure I wont have to worry about it. As far as picking the right size(1.1,1.7, 1.0, dl, sl) if you go to Warbonnets site he's got a chart that can help you out.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I have a Blackbird. Tried someone's Traveller before - they are pretty close in comfort.

I usually zip shut even when there are no bugs - I find that when hanging in a breeze, I am pelted with small bits of tree - leaves, acorns, pine needles, bark bits, twigs, drops of sap - one morning a squirrel was tossing things out of a tall oak and hitting me! I like hanging without the tarp in fair weather and the bugnet protects me from random junk from the trees. Also, I tend to be where it gets cold at night, and even tho it's just a bugnet, it does push the temp inside a little warmer.

however, if you're leaning towards the WBBB and bugs are an issue you can always treat your hammock with premetherin

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I treat all my hammocks with premetherin to be on the safe side. The "buckle" system or cinch plates along with Dutch Clips make for a very fast set up

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I started with a Trek Light double. It is very similar to an ENO. Very comfy hammock. The fabric is slightly more stretchy than the WB, but comfort is still very good.
    I tried a WBBB, but didn't like being "zipped in" to the hammock. The footbox & shelf are nice features, but in the end I preferred an open hammock.
    I now have a Traveler and a separate bug net. The WBBB I had was a 1.7 double, and the Traveler is a 1.7 single. The 1.7 double was overkill, and I quickly discovered that I didn't like using a pad, even in the double layer. I like my underquilt a lot more for warmth and comfort. The 1.7 single Traveler is just as comfy as my Trek Light, with a bit less stretch to the fabric. I don't often need a bug net, so I can go without most of the time, but still bring it along if I think bugs might be a problem.
    I personally like the cinch buckle & strap suspension. I changed out my Trek Light to the cinch buckle. Very simple system. I don't backpack, so I don't worry so much about weight.
    My 2 cents. Hope it helps.
    KJ

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Well, I have both a Blackbird 1.1 double and a Traveller 1.7 single. I got the Blackbird first based on all of the great recommendations. I like it, but didn't really like the zipped in feeling that I get in it as there is additional nylon material that runs above the zipper before connecting to the bug netting. I felt like it was a little stifling for me as I like to lay on a really strong diagonal and my head was pushed against the netting there.

When I ordered the Traveller, I tried that based on the fact that I liked the lay of the BB hammock itself, just not the other features so much. I ordered the thicker single as I found that I didn't need the double material and it got in my way some. I bought the separate bug net and like the way that it drapes. Also like that I can leave it at home in the winter; offsetting some of the weight of additional warmth layers. I also didn't really love the shelf, though many seem to. Don't know if I never got it set up right - though I tried a number of different ways, but stuff was either bumping into me in there or it would just fall out into the hammock. All told, much happier with my traveller and my wife and granddaughter love the BB because they like the "security" of it.

As for the straps, I went with the stock straps and like them a lot. Probably the only real challenge with them is trying to adjust them when they are under tension and there is any weight in the hammock. The buckles can be a little bit challenging to pull apart, but it is doable.

That said, I am converting mine to whoopie slings with tree huggers as the whoopies seem to be a little easier still to adjust, and I'm saving at least six ounces in the suspension alone. Enough to make room for my new seat/gear hammock

Either way, you probably can't go wrong, but I stick with my Traveller position. Also +1 on the Permethrin treatments of the hammock and bug netting. Really seems to do the trick.

Hope that helps and let us know what you decide!

SN

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    For various reasons I've got 4 BBs and 2 Trav's if the second Trav will get here.
    Each BB and the Trav's are different confirgurations.
    I've only experienced one odd thing. When attaching the Te-wa Winter Coat to the BB no problem, but on the Traverler it kept sliding away....it was my feet and their placement and easily fixed.
    One thing to remember when thinking traveler is PapaSmurfs bugnet...he has one that is a bit over 2 ounces which makes bringing a no brainer and you can get that addition 5-10F if ever needed. Its the tubular type bugnet like a true hammock sock and some think they are clastrophobic.
    Next weekend I'm headed to bug country and I'm taking a Blackbird.

thanks medicineman, I forgot papasmurf did bugnets.. I was gonna get a traveler net but I think I'm gonna have to check out papasmurfs first.. where's his link?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I don't have a traveler, but do have a DIY with a Warbonnet style whip, and I've also heard this comment from others. The benefit of the Warbonnet whip, which is used on the traveler, is that it makes the sides less "floppy" than on an ENO-style hammock. The downside is that the extra floppy material tends to make a nice wall, which helps keep your quilt in the hammock. Warbonnet Traveler-style hammocks are slightly more prone to having your gear fall out - especially in the foot area. It's not a HUGE problem, but can be slightly annoying if you let yourself get on too big of a diagonal and the foot of your quilt falls out of the hammock.

It's a really minor point, and easy to correct with changing your position, but it's something I have noticed. I believe Just Jeff has noticed a similar thing in his Warbonnet-whipped hammocks as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast