Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Insulation
    Yeti

Need Some OES MacCat Advice...

Hey Folks,

So...I've been in limbo with OES tarps to try and get a MacCat Deluxe SpinnUL. Recently Brian from OES e-mailed me saying that the quality of the SpinnUL has not passed weatherproofing, which I guess has been going on for the past six months. What this means is that there will be no SpinnUL coming. My set up is a HH hyperlite with yeti UQ. I went for the deluxe because I liked the idea of the bigger tarp providing better protection, especially since I'm still fairly new at this hammocking stuff. Since I must get a silnylon tarp, I was thinking of going with the standard instead since the weight is the same as the SpinnUL deluxe. I was just wondering if the standard will be adequate. I will use this setup thru-hiking the AT SOBO this year. Do you think I'd have any issues with the standard?

Thanks!

Z

Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    With good site selection and knowing were the wind is coming from you should have No issue with the size of the standard. I have slept in heavy wind and rain and was dry while my tent buddies were swimming in the puddles. When pitched down tight to my hammock it covers very well and When you don't need so much coverage you can open up the front in Porch mode to enjoy the views

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Have you considered Cuben Fiber? Much lighter, packs smaller, more waterproof than sil. Check out Zpacks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whayneneal View Post
    Have you considered Cuben Fiber? Much lighter, packs smaller, more waterproof than sil. Check out Zpacks.
    Brian makes a great tarp however with him being out of material I second Whayneneal, look into cuben from Joe at z-packs He will do any custom tarp you wish in pretty much any ridge line length. I have a custom tarp from Joe on the way and he was very easy to work with. I'm a big tarp fan so I hear what your saying. For the past year and a half I've used a winter tarp all year round and thoroughly enjoy the amount of coverage it offers.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Senior Member backpackingZombie's Avatar
    Hammock
    DB 1.1
    Tarp
    CCS 8'x10'
    Insulation
    Arroyo & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies + toggles
    Well this is sad news. I was just about to pull the trigger on a MacCat Standard; and I've heard nothing but great stuff about the SpinnUL, and some very specific complaints about the waterproofness of the Spinn fabric.

I guess this is a lost purchase to Brian and a gained purchase elsewhere

Hammock
    HH ULBPA, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    3S Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    There is also the Edge tarp from Warbonnet. It's directly between the Maccat standard and deluxe in size. Or if you want to go big, you could get a Mamajamba. They're both offered in Spinn.
    Visualize whirled peas.

Senior Member backpackingZombie's Avatar
    Hammock
    DB 1.1
    Tarp
    CCS 8'x10'
    Insulation
    Arroyo & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies + toggles
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave41079 View Post
    There is also the Edge tarp from Warbonnet. It's directly between the Maccat standard and deluxe in size. Or if you want to go big, you could get a Mamajamba. They're both offered in Spinn.
    If the Spinn that Brian has is not up to par why should I think the Spinn that anyone has right now is good? I don't want to spend $160+ on a tarp to only find out it's not waterproof as I was expected to believe.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by backpackingZombie View Post
    If the Spinn that Brian has is not up to par why should I think the Spinn that anyone has right now is good? I don't want to spend $160+ on a tarp to only find out it's not waterproof as I was expected to believe.
    Because neither of those guys (or any of our cottage shops for that matter) are going to throw their reputation out the window just to move tarps. If Brandon is selling it, it is of good quality.

That said, I carried a Standard MacCat during the warm months on my AT adventure. It is plenty of tarp for a thru-hiker. I carried much bigger (SuperFly) early when the weather was misery, but I carried a Standard from mid-April down south to September up north. There were a handful of times that I wished I still had my large tarp, but they were few and far between and mostly just whining.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I agree with what Cannibal just said. I have an OES Deluxe in sil and a Standard in Spinn. Except for the dead of winter I've never thought that the Standard wasn't enough tarp, and even then I believe that the Standard would have handled the conditions if I'd let it.
    I my Warbonnet

Insulation
    Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by backpackingZombie View Post
    This is correct. I believe the SpinnUL comes from only one manufacturer. Sad news. Anyway, I think I'll go with the standard in sil. Cuben fiber looks amazing but it will break the bank. Thanks for the advice, guys.

Z

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast