Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hanging the tarp

Ok, so I was practicing setting up my tarp last night in windy conditions. Needless to say I need some advice. Here is what I did,
    I set the hammock up like normal, then I took out the tarp (Speer 8x10 cat cut) with the guylines he gave me. At first I set the tarp up below the hammock thinking when I lay in the hammock it'll come down. I also had it set up so it was being divided on the ridgeline. The problem with this is that when I sat down the wind would blow the tarp into my face. I couldn't guy it out any stronger because of the ridgeline.
    Then I set it up a few inches above my hammock/ridgeline. This worked a little better but the tarp was still touching my hammock and when the rain is really coming down I don't want it to seep through. Oh yeah, it was obviously set up as an A frame. So, while I didn't describe it that well, can you still help me? I'd like to have it pitched taut enough so when the wind is blowing I won't have this issue.
    Oh yeah, and I almost feel asleep in the front yard in the hammock in my peapod snug as a bug. I had to force myself out of it and go inside!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Tough to say without pics, but did you try setting up the tarp first and then setting up the hammock? That's what I usually do. I'll be in Austin in two weeks with a week and a half to kill before leaving for Springer. If you want, I'd be happy to meet up with you and play with tarps.

Quote Originally Posted by sherpaxc View Post
    Oh yeah, and I almost feel asleep in the front yard in the hammock in my peapod snug as a bug. I had to force myself out of it and go inside!
    Why? Hammock naps rule!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post

Why? Hammock naps rule!
    Couldn't agree more! Short Stuff and I have been known to nap on the back porch more than once in our hammock.

Images
    Ok, so I was practicing setting up my tarp last night in windy conditions. Needless to say I need some advice. Here is what I did,
    I set the hammock up like normal, then I took out the tarp (Speer 8x10 cat cut) with the guylines he gave me. At first I set the tarp up below the hammock thinking when I lay in the hammock it'll come down. I also had it set up so it was being divided on the ridgeline. The problem with this is that when I sat down the wind would blow the tarp into my face. I couldn't guy it out any stronger because of the ridgeline.
    Then I set it up a few inches above my hammock/ridgeline. This worked a little better but the tarp was still touching my hammock and when the rain is really coming down I don't want it to seep through. Oh yeah, it was obviously set up as an A frame. So, while I didn't describe it that well, can you still help me? I'd like to have it pitched taut enough so when the wind is blowing I won't have this issue.
    What kind of hammock do you have and how are you setting it up?
    Youngblood AT2000

DIY 4x10 hung with webbing/buckles/carabiner. Use a ridgeline so it's fast and easy . I took pics but don't have them up on my work computer.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I agree that without pics it is hard to say, but maybe a quick DIY of adding tabs to tie to in the middle of each side so you can expand the inside. I know that didn't make much since, but here is a pic of Slowhikes.

I hope this helps,
    Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

I'll post up some pics later this evening. Thanks for the help.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    I agree that without pics it is hard to say, but maybe a quick DIY of adding tabs to tie to in the middle of each side so you can expand the inside. I know that didn't make much since, but here is a pic of Slowhikes.

I hope this helps,
    Dwight
    Grip-clips are handy for this also, you don't have to poke holes in the tarp.

But to pull out the side of the tarp when attached high like that, you need either
    a) hiking poles, as in the picture, or
    b) tie-outs to those grip-clips or side attachments that go to trees or bushes somewhere near-by, or
    c) really long tie-out lines.

It's a matter of geometry. To pull the sides out, the angle of the line doing the pulling has to be flatter than the angle of the side of the tarp. That makes "where to attach" an issue.

and I bet sherpaxc won't be carrying hiking poles on his bike

Grizz

Images
    DIY 4x10 hung with webbing/buckles/carabiner. Use a ridgeline so it's fast and easy . I took pics but don't have them up on my work computer.
    I suggest to forget using the ridgeline to attach low on the supports. That will cause the hammock suspension to stretch more because of the force that puts on the hammock suspension and the hammock will drop more when you get in. That aggravates setting up the hammock close to the tarp when you get in the hammock.

Try attaching the hammock as high on the supports as you would without a ridgeline and the hammock suspension will not stretch as much when you get in. I'm 6 feet tall and I attach about 5 feet (or shoulder high) when the supports are separated by 12 feet, 6 feet (or head high) when the supports are separated by 15 feet, and 7 feet (or as high as I can reach) when the supports are at 18 feet. I think if you do that you can attach the tarp to more of a fixed target.
    Youngblood AT2000

by accident, i found out i like an 8x10 rectangular tarp for bad or cold weather.
    after i pitch it longways i tie down the sides w/ the center tabs, like it's diamond shaped, and the ends hang down. if the wind is really strong, i can tie them together, and stake them to the ground. usually the weight and length of the fabric is sufficient, and if the wind blows hard it just wraps around underneath. having "sidewalls" gives me about another 10 deg. of warmth, and i can pitch my tarp higher giving me more room to move around and avoid the weather

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast