Hammock
    Eno
    Tarp
    diy cat cut
    Suspension
    whoopies

which fabric would you use?

I'm planning on making both an UQ and TQ to use instead of a sleeping bag/pad. so for the tq I was going to layer nylon taffeta and 1.1 -1.3 ripstop. (this is for a mid June hike) but not sure about the uq. what do you think? heat resistant ripstop/???? I'd make a tarp too, so maybe something wp? or should I just make the tq and stick with the big agnes? UGH! too many choices, and too much time to make them ALL!
    It's better to be lucky, than good!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Personally, I'd use the lightest materials I could get my hands on: 1.1, some people report here that they love the momentum fabric from Quest.

There's no benefit from the added fabric weight... IMHO

If you're short on time, I bought a used down mummy and pulled the zipper and hood off. Makes a great, cheap, semi-DIY TQ.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    1.1 oz rip stop or better for the quilts. Depends on how much $ you are willing to spend. Momentum (from Quest? or thru-hiker) are lighter, but you pay more. the difference in weight between the 2 will be a couple of ounces for each quilt because you are dealing with multiple square yards of fabric for the shells.

1.4 silnylon for the tarp, or 1.1 ounce ripstop that you make into sil via the "make your own sil" thread in this forum. Ain't no "maybe" about waterproof tarp! DEFINITELY water proof. Next step down from sil (weight wise) is Cuben and for that you are talking big bucks. As with all our lightweight gear, next step up (weight wise) for a tarp is cheap.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quilt- 1.1 oz ripstop nylon fabric is the norm. Down needs a down-proof fabric, so get "calendered" ripstop fabric, if your going down. Climashield and the other man-made insulations, regular 1.1 ripstop will do.
    DWR is a light coating on the fabric and creates some water resistance, yet remains somewhat breathable. It can be used as well.

Tarp-Silicone impregnated 1.1-1.3 oz ripstop nylon is a popular choice. And reasonably priced for tarp fabric, compared to the other alternatives (spinn, cuben.)
    Tyvek is another choice and I see your already using tyvek. Poly-urethaned fabrics tend to be heavier overall, but are usually cheaper priced.

Make sure the fabric you order is wide enough to do the projects you have planned. 50-60" wide for the quilts, 60+" sil for the tarp. You can get by with less widths, but its nice to have extra, than not enough.

Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics, Backwoods Daydreamer, and several other sites will offer free advice on their fabrics and what is best to use. And offer other supplies to defray shipping cost. One stop shopping...

If it is your first time, I'd say go with the sil for the tarp and calendered fabric for the quilt, for cost. If your experienced at sewing, then you could upgrade to higher end materials.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    gathered-end /w sock
    Tarp
    catcut w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ10D860/ TQ15D700
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    There's no need for a second layer for a regularly used down quilt. Easiest way would be to use backwoodsdaydreamer's 1.1 oz calendered ripstop -- lightweight, durable and cheap. If you can get hands on Pertex Quantum -- that's my favorite, feels much softer than anything else, imho.

For the tarp -- use silnylon. I find it harder to decide on which shape to cut than chosing the material (using what my budget allows)... Have only made a rectangular tarp until now, which is not the optimum I guess.

Hammock
    Eno
    Tarp
    diy cat cut
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I'm not going to put down in the quilt, just thought I'd double with the taffeta , does that sound ok? ...but after reading a bit more, why not add a layer?! It is going to be summer hanging, so I could keep it thin.... use some on the under quilt too. hmmmm
    Last edited by Ladybird; 03-23-2011 at 09:33.
    It's better to be lucky, than good!

• + New Posts