DIY 1.9 gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Sil 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex 3lyr
    Suspension
    DIY Dyna whoops

Bridge Help

Originally posted this in fabrics, but I thought it would be better suited here.

Okay, I have 1.9 uncoated ripstop nylon from quest. My question, and what I am having trouble with, is which side of the fabric to have on the outside of the hammock. One side is shiny (calendered or dwr?), and the other is matte. Any input would be helpful, and a very special shout out to griz for inspiring me to try a bridge DIY with his awesome videos!

Anyone have any experience using black diamond elliptical trekking poles as spreader bars? What type of insert would I need to make them the proper 36 inch length? Being elliptical, a typical round dowel would rest on the plastic piece in the inside of the pole and not the metal itself. Is this okay?

So many questions!!!!!!!!!!

Hammock
    gathered-end /w sock
    Tarp
    catcut w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ10D860/ TQ15D700
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    afaik the calendered side is supposed to be on the "down"-side (inside) --- but only in case you're making some gear with down...

Someone else might give a better answer, also to your other questions.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I don't think it matters which side goes where. I suppose if I thought about it I'd put the calendered side inside, if only because I like the looks of the matte side better and tend to try to have the hammock "look" good from the outside.

I don't have any experience with the hiking poles you mention, but have used dowel inserts on other poles where the internal point of contact is a plastic expansion plug. The key thing is to not expect the expansion plug to keep the pole sections from collapsing, except as a jam between the end of one section on one side and the dowel insert on the other.

[later]...just had a look at pictures of the black diamond elliptical poles. Trouble ahead. You have to keep the compression force centered down the centerline of the pole and with those slanted handles you're not going to be able to do that by jamming the handle edge into a pocket or something. What you'll get is rather considerable force trying and perhaps succeeding to snap the handle off. Perhaps someone else worked out a trick for these poles...my bag o'tricks don't apply to that style.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY 1.9 gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Sil 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex 3lyr
    Suspension
    DIY Dyna whoops
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I don't think it matters which side goes where. I suppose if I thought about it I'd put the calendered side inside, if only because I like the looks of the matte side better and tend to try to have the hammock "look" good from the outside.

Good to know. I am much more inclined towards the matte side as well.

I don't have any experience with the hiking poles you mention, but have used dowel inserts on other poles where the internal point of contact is a plastic expansion plug. The key thing is to not expect the expansion plug to keep the pole sections from collapsing, except as a jam between the end of one section on one side and the dowel insert on the other.

[later]...just had a look at pictures of the black diamond elliptical poles. Trouble ahead. You have to keep the compression force centered down the centerline of the pole and with those slanted handles you're not going to be able to do that by jamming the handle edge into a pocket or something. What you'll get is rather considerable force trying and perhaps succeeding to snap the handle off. Perhaps someone else worked out a trick for these poles...my bag o'tricks don't apply to that style.
    I was afraid of that. It may be time to change out my hiking poles anyway as I am not a huge fan of the slanted handle. I am trying to get away from "shiny ball" gear buying and take a hard look at more classic designs. Nothing wrong with something that is proven (like a standard hiking pole, instead of the complicated, feature rich spire elliptic!). I have the same problem with my new pack I bought last year. Shinny balled the z-55 from gregory. WAAAYYYYY too complicated and heavy!. Thanks for the replies. The input was much needed!

Hammock
    DIY 1.9 gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Sil 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex 3lyr
    Suspension
    DIY Dyna whoops

what trekking poles?

What trekking poles might be recommended for use as a bridge hammock spreader bar?

I am looking at the Leki sierra or the gossamer gear. I thought I read somewhere that someone found a trekking pole that collapses to just over 36 inches. That would be ideal; it would eliminate the need for inserts. Any ideas?

Images
    jdneri, check with Pan (JRB) he was using a set on his at Mt Rogers this year.
    Talmadge
    "GroundHog"

Hammock
    DIY 1.9 gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Sil 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex 3lyr
    Suspension
    DIY Dyna whoops

will

Will do! Thanks groundhog!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdneri View Post
    What trekking poles might be recommended for use as a bridge hammock spreader bar?

I am looking at the Leki sierra or the gossamer gear. I thought I read somewhere that someone found a trekking pole that collapses to just over 36 inches. That would be ideal; it would eliminate the need for inserts. Any ideas?
    Ones I know work 'cause I've used them:
    Leiki sierra anti-shock

Stoney Point Explorer

Stoney Point Crusader

On the cheaper end the
    Chinook Walkabout.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Chameleon by Dutch
    Tarp
    Sgt. Rock diy w/en
    Insulation
    JRB No-Sniveller+o
    Suspension
    yep
    Images
    i have a pair of Black Diamond two piece poles with 'flip-lock' that when collapsed are very close to 36". so close that for me they ARE 36".

they might be the Traverse model.

Hammock
    DIY Cuben
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    down,over & under
    Images
    the collapsable poles from ti goat work well as spreaders for me. the collapsed lenghth is just about right, I put in a small carbon fiber tube insert in the head end spreader to add about I think about 3 in more length. I do not use any dowels or other reinforcements.. Grizzzzzz is right keep the forces centered, centered, centered.Or you will snap, snap, snap ! I use an epoxied dulled in nail as my ends to fit into the 1/2 in arc webbing, keeps everything neat and tidy, no pouches or tieing, gnome

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast