Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

advice on keeping water from running down the Speer webbing

OK, I know to use the drip lines. I was careless and forgot and got wet. ( full story in my PeaPod review).

I added some nylon cords hanging down from the webbing, but I'm not sure that stopped the water completely. Though it helped.

I have never had this problem with my HH. I think that's because I use snake skins over the ropes, and because when I tighten up the RL, it is more level than using my Speer without a RL, like I was today. So I have a steeper line for water to run down. I am going to add the snake skins. I may or may not go back to a structural RL.

Any way, just looking for any general tips on stopping water down the webbing on a stock Speer. I know, change the suspension to ring buckle. But what worked best before this approach? What makes the best drip line?
    Thanks
    Bill

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    The Speer drip strips seem to work well enough. Ed included some when I bought my SnugFit. (Drip strips found on Speer's Accessories Page)

You could easily make yourself some from narrow strips of any highly absorbent material. A small strip of pack-towel cloth or felt, for instance.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I always tie my extra webbing back onto the main line making a loop from the tree to the hammock. I hope that makes sense Pack-towell cloth should work great too.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Images
    You could always put a twist in the line. The water will not run upsidedown. Works for me.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    take a washer or decender ring what ever will fit your strap or chord and run it through the middle of the ring rap once or twice somewhere about a foot away from the hammock body.

all tho this is not a very good picture of it you can see a little silver looking thing about 12 inch's or so away from hammock body in this picture
    if you looking at picture it would be to your left.

I will look to see if I can find another picture with it close up.. but until then you can kinda get the idea..

http://www.junglehammock.com/models/...ican/index.php

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&imageuser=826

Images
    Thanks for the tips, everyone.

I had forgot about a twist in the webbing. That has been all you needed in extended all night downpours? Hmmm.......

Can that thingy on the Clark be purchased, and will it work with webbing as well as rope? Though I guess I could make one as you said with a washer.

I didn't realize Speer had an accessory just for this purpose. I'll check it out.

Images
    Can you believe it, I don't think I had ever seen Speer's accessory page. I wonder how well his hammock pillows work? That and the drip strips look pretty handy.

Hammock
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    I dont know if it could be purchaced or not but if you have a welder one could be made easy. might try and call them.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Thanks for the tips, everyone.

I had forgot about a twist in the webbing. That has been all you needed in extended all night downpours? Hmmm.......

Can that thingy on the Clark be purchased, and will it work with webbing as well as rope? Though I guess I could make one as you said with a washer.

I didn't realize Speer had an accessory just for this purpose. I'll check it out.
    Give it a try yourself first, but that is all I do. A good test is to pour water on the strap and see what happens. I am a fan of simplifing everything.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    take two washers (stainless or galvinized ) and a smallish piece of conduit about a 1/4" to 3/8" long and what ever diameter you webbing remember that the webbing is going to go through and around it twicen then take a rat tail file or a grinding wheel and round the edges inside and out then take your washers and do the same thing then weld one washer on each end and and clean them up a bit after welding and ta da it's done do that one more time and you have both ends.

and that is kinda what these look like except they are out of poored out aluminum but you get the idea.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast