Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yeti - enough $ for 3 season or winter - help!

Hi!

I just bought a wbbb and only have enough $ for either the 3 season or winter uq (not both). Which would you get?

I backpack in the Sierra Mountains (Yosemite/Tahoe). I also enjoying snow shoeing and sleeping in snow caves and trenches. I would say I go 2 weekends per season. So 3/4 of the time in 3 seasons.

Is the winter yeti's additional 6 oz and bulk a burden to carry around all year?

Thanks!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I would get the 3 season one and supplement with a piece of CCF pad if you will be in colder conditions than it is rated for.

What lows do you normally see where you camp?
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I agree with angrysparrow. If the majority of your time is 3 season, then get a 3 season UQ and supplement for winter. Are you a cold or warm sleeper?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

I was in a similar boat and bought the winter, I'd rather have and not need than need and not have, I consider them comfort ounces and it'll also let me skimp a little on my top quilt since my bottom and sides are extra insulated. Seems it's easy enough to get cold spots when you don't hang it right so I just plan on doing that in the summer haha. In a place with chaotic weather I'd probably want to have worst case scenerio items with me anyways.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Consider where you are going and how high - if you are going subalpine and alpine, the likelihood of going to ground increases. I would take a full length pad and 3 season yeti, or just take a ccf and the Neoair and no underquilt at all, if I expected to be hiking at high elevations. If I am confident that I will be hiking high and camping below 10,000 feet each night I will go with an underquilt and ccf.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I too would recommend getting the 3 season Yeti and supplementing it with a pad for colder temps if you are only camping in winter a couple times a year.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Noah 9
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm in the same boat as you. I opted for the 3s crowsnest and take it with me everywhere in the Sierras and have been fine. Two months ago I got her down to -7f and was toasty with the supplemental gear (ccf pad for my feet) I brought.

Bottom line, if you aren't going to be in that cold of weather, the 3s uqs will be more than adequate imo.
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I have not lived.
    -Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I agree with the above comments for 3 season... however I have a recent take on the subject.

I took the 3S Yeti out this past weekend in 35*F temps. I've tested it down to 27*F with very little issue (I'm a cool sleeper). It was gusting something fierce and pitched my tarp as low as I could but at 40mph gusts it still got under my hammock.

with every huge blast of wind it took some heat from me. Now at still weather the yeti is true to rating. When placed in gusting conditions you'll need to have a decent tarp or possibly bring a weather shield to shield the yeti from the wind. The gusts were unexpected in my case.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Images
    i've found an 1/8" of mini-cell foam adds at least 15 deg to my 3 season setup

Images
    Usually when I'm showshoeing I have a big down coat and insulated over pants for when I stop to camp.
    If you carry the same you could sleep in them adding many degrees to your 3S kit.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast