DIY Tahiti Beach Blanket
    Tarp
    DIY 4-S "Man Cave"
    Insulation
    DIY IX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slang
    Images
    I have been playing with the same material and have met with similar results: the PEF rips easily, but perhaps a strip of clear packing tape along the sewing line could relieve this problem(?).

On the next trial I will definitely use 1.1 rs nylon on both sides for added strength. I also tossed a layer of Mylar space blanket in between the first and second layer for S&G's, and to see if I could squeeze a few more btu's out of the rig. I doesn't add any real weight to speak of.

On the issue of length, I have decided to stick with the 3/4 length. From a pack weight perspective and raw material dimensions, this just makes good practical sense (to me). I made a seat pad with the PEF that I can always put under my feet if necessary.

My TQ is made with the same material. I made a slot on the inside that allows me to insert additional layers as the weather requires. Great stuff that PEF!

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    I can also report that when I reached out to pull up on one side of the UQ to adjust the fit, the PE tore at the sewn edge seam. About a 2 inch tear. So, I'm understanding why MacEntyre says he'll only use PE with a cover on both sides. So far, I only have a cover on the bottom side. The top side "grabbed" my hammock when I pulled and caused the tear.
    With as flimsy as this stuff sounds, I would be curious as to how well the inner and outer cover really protects it from tearing. I know I would hate to open up one of my quilts after a few outings just to see how well the insulation is holding up... but it sounds like this may need to be done just to see how well the insulation holds up to the rigors of packing/unpacking and sleeping.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    12'x9'
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by jspate61 View Post
    I have been playing with the same material and have met with similar results: the PEF rips easily, but perhaps a strip of clear packing tape along the sewing line could relieve this problem(?).
    I tried piecing the windshiled sunshades from the Dollar Tree (which I think are the same type of foam, covered by a layer of mylar, not the nicer mylar covered bubble wrap) last night. I wrapped packing tape around the edges to be sewn. The seams held much better than the surrounding area, but after a couple feet, the adhesive from the tape gummed up my sewing machine's needle, and it kept breaking the thread, so I scrapped the idea.

I'm disappointed that it didn't work out, because it would take 3 sunshades to make a layer, so for less than $10 you'd have enough material for a 3 layer UQ. Who knows, the mylar may have even made it warmer.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 40 & yeti
    Suspension
    Straps& dutch clip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lustreking View Post
    I tried piecing the windshiled sunshades from the Dollar Tree (which I think are the same type of foam, covered by a layer of mylar, not the nicer mylar covered bubble wrap) last night. I wrapped packing tape around the edges to be sewn. The seams held much better than the surrounding area, but after a couple feet, the adhesive from the tape gummed up my sewing machine's needle, and it kept breaking the thread, so I scrapped the idea.

I'm disappointed that it didn't work out, because it would take 3 sunshades to make a layer, so for less than $10 you'd have enough material for a 3 layer UQ. Who knows, the mylar may have even made it warmer.

You can try lubricating the needle with petroleum jelly .... It's supposed to keep it from gumming up.

IX is 6.50 a yard ... So you can build a two layer for $20..... Just thinking ...
    Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage
    William Shakespeare

"Insert witty and intelligent statement here"

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    12'x9'
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Captn View Post
    You can try lubricating the needle with petroleum jelly .... It's supposed to keep it from gumming up.

IX is 6.50 a yard ... So you can build a two layer for $20..... Just thinking ...

It's not worth the risk of wrecking my machine, and then end up with an underquilt that won't last. I'm definitely going to purchase some IX soon.

Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    I'll report back when I have that sorted out.
    So did you ever finish this up? I'm interested in a single layer for a summer UQ.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123