Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LeighLo Summer UQ
    Suspension
    Whuppah Slangs

Hazel Creek and Proctor, GSMNP

Paddled across Fontana Lake up to Hazel Creek for a three-day weekend in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to paddle the distance in an inflatable kayak; I'm sure a canoe or hard shell kayak would get there much faster. Hazel Creek campsite (#86) is, according to trail guides, a very popular spot for fishermen and non-backpackers wanting to camp. Shuttle boats from Fontana Marina will take you right up to the creek drainage and it's an easy five minute walk to camp.

Won't bore you with all the details about Proctor, the old lumber town (you can read more here). It's a very short hike from the campsite. If you're a history buff, you'll enjoy it. We spent a half hour at the graveyard. Lots of stories there, accounts of pioneers, Civil War veterans, children who lived only days or weeks or entire families who died. I found it very sobering, not sure I could recount the all the feelings. There's a very ancient and ghostly feel to the ruins at Proctor, and I found it fascinating. The holler where Calhoun House sits is incredibly picturesque.

This was my first bonafide hammock trip. I've hung in the backyard for an afternoon but never overnight. Pleased to report that I never got CB. My feet got a bit chilly on the first night, had a hard time keeping them on the pad. The humidity and temperature were up the second night so I almost roasted, constantly flopping the sleeping bag off then back on. Used my new WB Mamajamba and LeighLo 2/3 Summer UQ, both were great.

Oh, and see that guy line in the bottom left corner, near my head? I was awake around 1:00 AM on the second night, heard my buddy Paul padding around, headed to the bathroom. He managed to stumble on the line, kicking the crap out of it and startling me. I yelled at him to watch it, couldn't understand why he didn't have his headlamp on. Then it occurred to me that I never heard his tent unzip. I grabbed my headlamp and looked out from under the tarp just in time to see a very big, fat and furry rear-end disappearing into the bushes.

We had been visited by a large black bear. He strolled by about 4 feet from my head, close enough to step on the guy line!

Don't mind telling y'all I was spooked for the rest of the night. Being a popular campsite, Hazel Creek certainly invites a lot of sloppy campers; our neighbors didn't even bother to hang their trash. I've also heard it gets closed sometimes due to bear activity. The funny thing is that I'm the guy who started this thread about a month ago.

Anyway, I highly recommend the trip. You can rent canoes at the marina (call ahead to reserve one). The lake is gorgeous, the inlet was smooth as glass both days. If you're a paddler or a history buff, you'll enjoy Hazel Creek in GSMNP. (More pictures here.)

Last edited by Hiker9; 03-23-2011 at 23:27.
    “In a perfect world, you and I wouldn't exist. So let's not hope for one.” - Ze Frank
    pinemountaintrail.org | madebymillcreek.com

Images
    Gotta watch who you holler at at 1 am!

Sounds like an awesome trip. Nice photos! Thanks for sharing!

Images
    Excellent report thanks.
    Love the picts.

How did you like the inflatable kayak?

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LeighLo Summer UQ
    Suspension
    Whuppah Slangs
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    How did you like the inflatable kayak?
    Overall, I liked it. It's a dual purpose boat, both for touring and white water, so it's not the best for lake paddling. The rudder comes in very handy but a small raised keel would have improved performance. The combination of a relatively large footprint and vinyl hull don't track as well as a canoe. But, as I said, it's an all-purpose boat and it got us and our gear over and back just fine. That we got it up there and back in my Toyota Camry is icing on the cake.

This was my first paddling trip (my buddy Paul is the kayaker and boat owner) and I would definitely do another.

(Sea Eagle makes a larger, open-water kayak with an outside keel that I find very interesting. Like I said, Paul is the kayaker but I could see myself making the investment one day.)
    “In a perfect world, you and I wouldn't exist. So let's not hope for one.” - Ze Frank

Hammock
    warbonnet traveler double 1.7oz
    Tarp
    warbonnet superfly
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Nice photo and a very close call with the hairy butt eh?
    Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Nice! Thanks for the pics! Proctor makes a great base camp for exploring that part of the Smokys-an area many AT hikers dont get to see. Some really good history there.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    It's a shorter paddle from Cable Cove Campground if that will help you next time. I'm leading a trip there with my Club next month. Good to know about the bear encounter, but it is the Smokies!
    I'll send this to a few of them, Great pics!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    I guess i missed this first time round. Nice looking spot,,thanks for sharing
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LeighLo Summer UQ
    Suspension
    Whuppah Slangs
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcakes View Post
    Good to know about the bear encounter, but it is the Smokies!
    You're absolutely right: GSMNP is a bear sanctuary. It's been my experience that the easier a campsite is to get to, the more careless, sloppy or just plain ignorant the campers can be. It's no wonder that a popular campsite is also popular with bears.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LeighLo Summer UQ
    Suspension
    Whuppah Slangs
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Nice looking spot,,thanks for sharing
    Mbiraman, campsite #86 is huge. There are probably 7-8 different coves or sections to it. The southern-most part could probably accommodate 10 tents! We counted four sets of bear cables.

• + New Posts