Hammock
    BB,HH, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    MacCat, JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB underquilt
    Images

How do you deal with shoulder squeeze?

I am seeking information on shoulder squeeze. I have wide shoulders and sometimes wake-up in the morning very stiff in the shoulders. I would like to know how different hangers deal with shoulder squeeze (example; modifications in hammock material/construction, or sleeping techniques/positions). And the second part .... is one type of hammock better than another in addressing the problem?

Images
    Is that the oak tree at Bly Gap in your avatar? I have a photo that looks a lot like that.

In general longer hammocks with plenty of sag helps. There is a tradeoff with how you lay, down the center has the least shoulder squeeze but you have some hyper extension of your knees unless you put something under them. Laying on a diagonal drops your legs and puts some pressure on one shoulder.
    Youngblood AT2000

Quote Originally Posted by IndyDan View Post
    I am seeking information on shoulder squeeze. I have wide shoulders and sometimes wake-up in the morning very stiff in the shoulders. I would like to know how different hangers deal with shoulder squeeze (example; modifications in hammock material/construction, or sleeping techniques/positions). And the second part .... is one type of hammock better than another in addressing the problem?
    Wide shoulders? How wide? What hammock are you using? This may be a subjective thing I guess, my 5' wife says a Hennessy UL Backpacker "squeezes" her. I'm 5'8" and I can't figure out what she's talking about. I bought my 5'3" daughter a hyperlite and she complained about lying inside a "tube", and asked for a narrower hammock so I called Hennessy and Tom said the lite racer wasn't much lighter than a hyperlite and the latter should be a LOT more comfortable 'cause you can get flatter. I would advise you to just keep trying your hammock for a while and see if this pain is transitory or is actually caused by the hammock.

Images
    If that is the tree I remember it too now that you mention it.

I have fairily wide shoulders and have had problems. I did not have any problems with the hh I had. It took a while for me to get my Speer style homemade one to fit just right. It was a matter of adding length and adjusting the ridgeline. Along with changing the way I gathered and whipped the ends. I guess I am trying to say that with a homemade you have a few knobs to turn to change the feeling.

I laid in a ENO for awhile once and did not notice any problems.

Also how far from Cincy are you? I had to move back to there and are looking for new places to hike if you know of any close in IN.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Is that the oak tree at Bly Gap in your avatar? I have a photo that looks a lot like that.

In general longer hammocks with plenty of sag helps. There is a tradeoff with how you lay, down the center has the least shoulder squeeze but you have some hyper extension of your knees unless you put something under them. Laying on a diagonal drops your legs and puts some pressure on one
    shoulder.
    also, if you do want to try laying in-line rather than diagonal (and you should try it), you will want to hang the hammock with alot less sag, hang it with lots of sag for laying diagonal. fabric stretch can cause squeeze too, 1.1 ripstop causes noticeably more shoulder squeeze for me than does 1.9 oz.

i use something under my knees even when laying diagonal, if i lay in-line, i need a bigger something to do the job, but once the knees are properly supported. it is a quite comfortable position, and youngblood is right, alot less shoulder squeeze this way, for me it's basically zero. if i hang it too tight (almost no sag at all) then the squeeze begins to come back, but when you get it just right, squeeze is very minimal if any.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i'm w/ warbonnetguy on what he said in his 1st paragraph about less sag.
    that's what's been working best for me for quite a while now.

also, i use an insulated air mat. that helps to spread the hammock.
    and i use a trekking pole to spread the top edges of the hammock for a more open feel.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P2110155.JPG
    you can find more pictures of that in my gallery.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hey Coffee, can you tell me what method you used to gather the ends to best fit your wide shoulders? I am concerned about shoulder squeeze as well, due to my broad build.

Images
    i don't think method of gathering will have any effect on shoulder squeeze.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    also, if you do want to try laying in-line rather than diagonal (and you should try it), you will want to hang the hammock with alot less sag, hang it with lots of sag for laying diagonal. fabric stretch can cause squeeze too, 1.1 ripstop causes noticeably more shoulder squeeze for me than does 1.9 oz.

i use something under my knees even when laying diagonal, if i lay in-line, i need a bigger something to do the job, but once the knees are properly supported. it is a quite comfortable position, and youngblood is right, alot less shoulder squeeze this way, for me it's basically zero. if i hang it too tight (almost no sag at all) then the squeeze begins to come back, but when you get it just right, squeeze is very minimal if any.
    Hmmmm........ This is something I must look into with my Speer 8.5. My main ( and really, only) complaint with the Speer is the lack of shoulder room, if not actual "squeeze"( at least compared to my HH Explorer), which is helped but not eliminated with LOTS of sag. And this is exacerbated somewhat by the PeaPod. I actually seem to have less squeeze when I shift to the diagonal. But that is with lot's of sag to start with. So I will now check this out with a mid-line position and less sag and see how it feels shoulder wise. I need a little something under my knees any way.

I had noticed an improvement lately by positioning my self a bit closer to the foot end, so that my shoulders are closer to the wider center of the hammock, with plenty of sag and on the diagonal. While still not as "roomy" feeling as my HH, this had pretty well gotten this problem to a tolerable level. But I will try the "straight/less sag" approach. Do you think the standby 30* is the place to start, or should it be even less?

I also wonder if a longer hammock would help, and if a more narrow hammock would make it worse or better, especially if laying straight. It seems a wider or even double would make shoulder squeeze better, but with my Speer ( 5 ft wide?) most of the width just ends up above me anyway, after I sink down into the hammock.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by traviso71 View Post
    Hey Coffee, can you tell me what method you used to gather the ends to best fit your wide shoulders? I am concerned about shoulder squeeze as well, due to my broad build.
    I use theroll whip method that was talked bout in all of the hh clone threads. For me it felt better making the rolls about 2 or 2.5 inches wide.

I think it makes a difference. Just not as the sag or ridgeline length.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast