Smile Simply Hi - ya´ll! (nope not frm South USA)

Hi,
    So glad to find this forum. Hoping to get a bit of advice....
    I´m not so ´new´or new to hammock camping exactly - tho didn´t know there were so many ppl out there enjoying this style of travel!

Last year as a birthday present to myself, I spent 8 weeks hammock camping in Panama. Of course I´ve spent considerable time enjoying hammocks in many situations living in Costa Rica the past 4 years. A few years back I didn´t know hammocks were comfortable - go figure with those waffle leg maker - button eater - fishing nets that are sold to most americans.

I had - yup sold it to a really big guy who always wanted a hammock, I just couldn´t say no to the poor man - a Hammock Bliss triple with mosquito cocoon, used it as my bedroom on a couple farms, then as a spare room for visiting friends in an indian village before I sold it. I made my own mosquito cocoon the second time and used it on an inexpensive local made hammock for the 8 week trip - worked fine - used plastic sheeting from a hardware store for a tarp. Was fun and I slept like a baby. And ya it was not lite... but hey I didn´t need many clothes and sodas or pulperias were close by so I didn´t need to carry food or hike a really long way (well, a couple times).

SOOOO - I have some time on my hands, yet again, and just decided it is time to hike the AT. Yup at 52-3 (I´ll have a birthday out there) I´m gonna just do it. I am on a limited budget and have a few things already. I LOVE Simplicity and minimalism and being frugal.... What advice do you have about gear - especially a choice of hammock on a budget. I will probly use the backpack I have now, it´s seen some use and it´s fine so why change. I love bandanas and have a collection - probly 3 will go with me, just cause, I use them for everything - towel-washcloth-hankie(a ladies snot rag guys)-coffee filter-make your own cheese cloth-heck you name it....
    I also have a good long sleeved zip shirt from LLBean I´ll keep and use.

Due to stuff beyond my control, I will start my hike during the first week of May. Oh and another factor - I live out of my backpack, so nothing stays ´home´, it just gets recycled or freecycled!

Please forgive my attempt at humor, if it isn´t to your liking, it certainly is not intended to offend anyone.

(In case you are wondering, I grew up in Maine, spent 20+ yrs in VA, 5 yrs in Times Square NYC and 4 yrs in Costa Rica... )

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Welcome to the forum simplyme. I hope you find the people here are friendly, and informitave. It sounds like you have the DIY bug already, we also listen to new ways of doing things too.
    There is someone else that going on the AT at about the same time as you, he goes by the name Bat. Maybe you two can hook up (just a thought).
    Check out Shugs videos.
    Last edited by Veto 65; 03-24-2011 at 15:55.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I spent a lot of time in Costa Rica when I worked on a cruise ship. Great place and loved the surfing. Welcome to HF!

Fronkey

• + New Posts