Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing and Knots

Lawson Blue Ridge Camp Hammock

I have not seen many posts on the internet about this one, but there should be so that others do not make my mistake. Well, mistakes. My first mistake was not hitting the hammock forums first. The second was the purchase of the BRCH. I tested it and capsized it almost as soon as I got in. There is no way to relieve the banana figure, that disagrees with my knees, due to the stability issues. The stock tarp is designed to wrap around the hammock, leaving no dry space to take off wet gear before getting in. As a ground bivy, the issue with the tarp remains. For ten dollars more, I could have bought a Hennessy (see my first mistake).

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Out of curiosity I watched some youtube vids on it and it looks like a brute to set up, almost like a tent in the air. It didn't look very stable and the guy looked awkward getting in. I don't know, HYOH (hang your own hang) and all that but I can't say I would want to check that out if I saw one set up. Like you mentioned, what are you supposed to do if there is prolonged inclement weather?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I used one for a while and loved it....until I learned more and more.
    Still have it as a hanger queen.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    "I was not "wrong"; I just revised my judgement based on additional information."
    that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    I also bought the BRCH as my first hammock. That was back before I was planning a thru-hike and before I understood how heavy a 4lb hammock was. I still didn't return it (you usually can, full refund) and I planned to let friends use it when we go out in a group.

That was until I actually let someone use it, and remembered how long it takes to figure out a good lay, or even how to sleep through the night in the thing. I also think it would make an 'ok' ground bivy.

Agree with the posters here. The Blue Ridge seems to be comfortable when hung, for all sizes, but I've read quite a number of owners talking about its flipping. So it sure seems to need some careful entry.

Also worth noting - it's categorized by the manu. as a 3-season hammock, not the entire year.

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing and Knots
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikums View Post
    There is no way to relieve the banana figure, that disagrees with my knees, due to the stability issues.
    By this, I meant that I can't wiggle or sleep on my side or it will capsize.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl HB noseeum modified
    Tarp
    WB BMJ, HH hex
    Insulation
    winter incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I have one and used it a lot last year. I use it with the dreaded ENO slap straps...and I'm still alive. I've never had a problem with capsizing it. I have weathered Iowa thunderstorms in it. I toted it around the Superior Hiking Trail last spring and fall as well. I went from a 4 pound tent to it so the weight didn't bother me. What did and still does bother me about it, though is how darn big and cumbersome it is to carry on/in a pack.

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Quote Originally Posted by Doody View Post
    I have one and used it a lot last year. I use it with the dreaded ENO slap straps...and I'm still alive. I've never had a problem with capsizing it. I have weathered Iowa thunderstorms in it. I toted it around the Superior Hiking Trail last spring and fall as well. I went from a 4 pound tent to it so the weight didn't bother me. What did and still does bother me about it, though is how darn big and cumbersome it is to carry on/in a pack.
    It's not completely useless - It's something that you can learn to get comfy in - but my $20 GT UL is SO much easier to get comfy in and SO much cheaper. I bought a $20 Guide gear tarp and a $20 10'x10' Kelty Footprint that I've used as a tarp, and a BugSock from PapaSmurf is $50.

I thought having a ton of space would be great - but I actually am the most comfy in my GT Nano 7 which is TINY.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl HB noseeum modified
    Tarp
    WB BMJ, HH hex
    Insulation
    winter incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I'm still a noob when it comes to these hammock-majiggers. The only reason I even bought a new setup, when the biggest reason anyway, is for bikepacking this summer. Having to fit everything in a couple Panniers and a handlebar bag puts my BRCH out of the running. My new setup is far from ultralight though. Hammock bliss no seeum and HH large hex rain fly. Now if I just knew what a ridgeline and a whoopiesling was, I'd be in business.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast