DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    No one says you have to change right now brother... but you can at least identify the area and locate a lighter alternative... plug the lighter alternative in your spreadsheet and see what the bottom line could be with the change.

It's a game of numbers... and us accountants love us some numbers!
    <-------- Electronic Tech guy here LOL
    electronics is 85% numbers

your right......most of the UL guys i know are numbers guys

Hmmmmmm
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

take what you want to be comfortable. Doesn't matter if it is 10, 20, 25, 30 lbs or more. You have to carry it so carry what you want.

Biggest place to lose weight is yourself (not directed at anyone). I went from 250 to 180 and have slowly gained some of it back but still no where near the 250 I once weighed. Losing that weight can make you feel a whole lot better on or off the trail.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Ya I know I need to loose weight , cutting back on chinese buffets : (

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8&quot; Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    No one says you have to change right now brother... but you can at least identify the area and locate a lighter alternative... plug the lighter alternative in your spreadsheet and see what the bottom line could be with the change.

It's a game of numbers... and us accountants love us some numbers!
    Raul hit it right on the head and I'll add my $0.02.

a. You don't need to change now - like he said, build a spreadsheet, go to the REI website and the cottage makers and look up weights of items, plug 'em in, mix and match and have a lot of fun learning more about gear than you ever thought you would. It also really forces you to think about each piece of gear, list the pros and cons of bringing it and if you "really" need it. That way, any luxury items that you do bring, you know will get used and not just take up weight and space in your pack.

b. Start with the Big 5 (pack, hammock, TQ, UQ, tarp). These will also be your most expensive items so you know now what you want and how much you'll need to get there.

c. Keep everything else as light and small as possible bringing just enough of what you need to extract yourself from a hairy situation. I've seen your YT videos and although I admire your desire to bring half an emergency room with you , it really isn't necessary given the accesibility of emergency services and cell phone coverage on the East Coast. Knives, saws, multi-tools, etc are also quick ways to reduce weight.

d. Like others have mentioned, post your gear list and we can help you out.

Marc

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    As Ewker said losing body weight will really help. I have lost around 60 lbs and feel great. I have not yet backpacked at this weight but can imagine that even if I used all my old gear as heavy as it was, it would still feel a lot easier. Not only weight but getting the muscles in shape is good too. Nowadays so many of our jobs require some of us to sit for long periods. A large majority of us could probably use more activity.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    My job I sit with down time, but have to eat quick so fast food or junk food. I am taking all this info in and will put to good use. Raul I was just making a comment I know I don't have to jump into everything now. So you don't take my comment wrong my friend. OBTW I am looking at possum down gloves to supplement the MLD eVent mitts are they tight fitting reason I ask is there out of large and could probably get by with XL if not too loose

Hammock
    Trek Light Double
    Tarp
    Tyvek HW &amp; GG12X12
    Insulation
    WalMart blue pads
    Suspension
    1&quot; straps &amp; biners

Wow this is a good thread, deserves the 5 star rating.

Ewker: I went from 250 to 180
    That is fantastic! That's more than 7 gallons of water.
    I've been working it down before hiking season too yet I haven't dropped that much.

Cranky Bear & G.L.P. hit it with bringing happiness back. My son was not happy with my sea bag but when it weighed 120# when I left the military I was happy.
    I put my 110# sons 13# 3000ci pack on my 90# daughter and it about pulled her over so I got her a 1900ci pack and have it in around 9# and she's happy.

Funny thing, when I was in scouts, I used to carry a 50# pack only after my dad would unloaded "JUNK" I didn't need to be carrying. Despite feeling sorta naked when hiking today with 25-30lbs, I hike too fast for my family because I forget it is back there; and today my dad thinks I need more stuff.

Ultra light is "COOL" yet I could just hear my wife if I handed her the days 'ration' of TP or told her some of the constipation / laxitive tricks I used in the military.

Way to break out the scale medicjimr, you wont regret it. Just go down to the happy level, you'll know when you hit it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Mamajamba/JRB Cat
    Insulation
    summer incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Images
    to add, I have the platypus gravity filter. It does a lot of water fast so you wont have to worry about a filter, we should be covered.
    'Most people have a few skelotons in their closet, I have a few tents.' ~ d Allen

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by medicjimr View Post
    Raul I was just making a comment I know I don't have to jump into everything now. So you don't take my comment wrong my friend.
    No worries buddy I took it the right way
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    I will echo everyone to say a spreadsheet does make a huge difference
    makes it easy to remember items when packing. I get to know my gear like the back of my hand & it allowed me to see duplicates I might have had. and look at what do I really need for the weekend?

medicjimr - I can relate to carrying extra medical supplies. I'm a medic in state guard & carry a large triage bag - so it took a diff mind set to carry what I need for myself.

I am on the opposite scope of weight - I'm a featherweight (115#) so I really don't want to nor can I carry 20+lb packs for any distance or length of time

here's a link to my gear list.
    I don't have much listed in the clothing. however my list is mainly for a long weekend & I never change clothes when training when out for 3 days so I see no need to carry extra clothes when camping.

Depending on where I'm going configurations can change & the spreadsheet makes it easy for quick changes.

I'm using a postal scale right now - when I get a digital weights may change for the better or worse - but I think I'm fairly close. If anything, it helps sort things out easier.

For me its a living document. Raul has helped with a few things & I have made notes to myself to eventually change a few things.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CNO6h7wF

it is a game of numbers - and I'm bad with numbers - thankfully the spreadsheet does that work for me

Have fun!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast