Tarp
    Homemade MacCat
    Insulation
    ccf pad
    Suspension
    ring buckle, strap
    Images

Hi Everbody, Gumbi here!

I've been a member of Hammock Forums for close to two years now? I can't remember... I do ALOT more lurking and reading than posting, though, but I never formally introduced myself.

I have always loved camping, backpacking, and canoeing; I even minored in camping at Calvary Bible College, but I really hated waking up on a trip feeling worse than when I went to sleep. I am rather skinny, and while sleeping on the hard ground, I couldn't sleep on my back, but if I slept on my side, I would wake up every hour because it would cut off the circulation in my leg and arm on that side. So I started looking for something different and I ran across Sgt. Rock's website, as well as JustJeff's website.

And then I found HF. What a great source of information for the hammock camper! Shug's videos on youtube were also extremely helpful.

I've made most of my own hammock gear, including a Speer-type hammock and a MacCat-style tarp (which I waterproofed myself!).

Now all I have to do is talk my wife into joining me! (she likes the feeling of an enclosed tent when she is sleeping, and isn't interested in anything more than car camping once a year.)
    Last edited by Gumbi; 03-25-2011 at 11:40.
    Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Set that hammock up in your backyard and tell her to lay in it. I had to make another hammock because my girlfriend wouldn't get out of mine. Welcome to HF veteran!

Fronkey

Images
    First off, WELCOME!

You can major in camping at Calvary Bible College? Sign me up!!!

Hammock
    homemade speer
    Tarp
    Homemade MacCat
    Insulation
    ccf pad
    Suspension
    ring buckle, strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deucalion View Post
    First off, WELCOME!

You can major in camping at Calvary Bible College? Sign me up!!!
    Oops, I meant minor in camping! It was part of the Biblical Counseling major, but to stay accredited, Calvary changed it to an emphasis under youth ministry. Actually, it would more or less prepare you to work at a camp, although I did take classes in backpacking, archery, and canoeing, as well as basic camp administration... I would love to be a camp director some day. In the meantime, I volunteer quite a bit at a Bible camp in Iowa.
    Last edited by Gumbi; 03-25-2011 at 11:39.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbi View Post
    Oops, I meant minor in camping! It was part of the Biblical Counseling major, but to stay accredited, Calvary changed it to an emphasis under youth ministry. Actually, it would more or less prepare you to work at a camp, although I did take classes in backpacking, archery, and canoeing, as well as basic camp administration... I would love to be a camp director some day. In the meantime, I volunteer quite a bit at a Bible camp in Iowa.
    Sound awesome. What better way to use your talents and spend your day! Too bad it's not a major. At almost 44 yrs old, I was about to go back to school!!

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Welcome Gumbi. You've got a great handle on the DIY stuff, way to go!
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    homemade speer
    Tarp
    Homemade MacCat
    Insulation
    ccf pad
    Suspension
    ring buckle, strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Syb View Post
    Welcome Gumbi. You've got a great handle on the DIY stuff, way to go!
    Thanks! I learned how to sew from my mom! I'm not great at it, but I learned a few tricks from her that get me by 90% of the time.

I really like DIY because I have a lot of time, but not much money. Of course, sometimes I spend almost as much money on my DIY projects as I would have to buy it outright, but it's more fun when for me when I make it myself.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I got my wife a hammock first and and after getting in it she asked if we could take it on our next camping trip, I knew she was hooked
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts