Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: AT Thru - 2012

Was that totally freakish weather or what? Maybe I should rethink my start date. I have good endurance and don't plan on spending much time off trail but I'm not a fast hiker. would hate to miss out on lovely weather early on only to hike in summer time heat & then get hit with cold in NH /Maine.
    Last edited by rtramseyer; 11-16-2011 at 01:03. Reason: typo

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LLG-Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    I plan on a 2012 NOBO thru, with a fluid start date sometime between mid February and early April. It all really depends if I can get my feet right. Plantar Faciitis put the kibosh my training. Good news is I pick up my custom orthotics from the Podiatrist on Thursday.

I've got the gear, the money, and the post hike job lined up already. I don't know if I could spend another year at my current job. I know all the negatives regarding early starts, but would readily welcome it versus another month of working...

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    I plan on a 2012 NOBO thru, with a fluid start date sometime between mid February and early April. It all really depends if I can get my feet right. Plantar Faciitis put the kibosh my training. Good news is I pick up my custom orthotics from the Podiatrist on Thursday.
    PF is just one of MANY MANY issues I developed while training for my thru. It went away finally - but there are other issues I still have to deal with.

Good luck - I HATED having PF.

As far as the heat is concerned - for me this year, I have an amazing opportunity to record two new albums - music is the ying and nature is the yang for me. So to make it happen I start in the studio in January. Roughly 8 hours a day until I finish 16+ songs and THEN I can leave. I might be done in April so I could leave then, I'm saying March 1st to be safe. So it's "Hike it the heat." or "Maybe next year."

And we all know what usually happens to folks who choose "maybe next year."
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Images

1/1/12

im planning to leave springer 1/1/12 and hike until my business falls apart and i need to come home.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    I hiked this year with a guy who started on 1/1/11. He got off the trail after 10 days. Went to Florida and did the Florida trail then jumped back on the AT.
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Zeti UQ & WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    yep, that's what usually happens. It is darn cold out there in Jan and Feb. It's still cold out there in March and April... I did GA-ME in 2010, started March 13th. Had a few warm days in March and April, then got really warm until Maine in Sept. My WBBB was great. KK, good luck out there! I'll be at the SoRuck and expect I'll see you there at NOC around the 13th. Best wishes to all you 2012ers. It is awesome out there!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    It has snowed in the NC mountains as late as early May so be prepared for cold temps just in case.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    i like my HH
    Tarp
    no preference(yet)
    Insulation
    pad and bag
    Suspension
    what came/w the HH
    I've got more than just a bit of envy. I would love to hike the AT. I will someday. Good luck to you on your venture.

Sunny(okc)

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Zpacks CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    SPE
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'll be heading out NOBO on March 3rd. I'm new to the hammock world and plan to buy my first hammock with my next paycheck.

Hammock
    DIY gathered ends
    Tarp
    MLD cuben hex tarp
    Insulation
    down underquilt
    Suspension
    tree huggers
    Will be starting a long section of the AT around April 1, 2012, following the birth of a grandchild mid-March. I'll start N of Smokies & hike until sometime in late June, because another grandchild is due in early July.

I'll hopefully be hammocking all the way. Does anyone have or know of a list of hostels or other town spots where hammocking is possible. Or do you know of a good trail journal that has good coverage of such places. I don't worry about finding places to hang when on the trail, but hate sleeping in beds in at town stops.

It sure looks like I may be seeing lots of hammockers on the trail and that is great.

I worry more about hot weather than cold. I can get acclimated to hiking in the heat, but don't think I can sleep if temp stays above low 70's at night. And mosquitos at night when it's still to hot to go to bed to escape them - misery! But misery does make for good stories

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast