Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Which 2Q mod do you think would be best on this hammock BillyBob58?
    Cannibal, looks like for my purposes mod number two would be the one to go with. Since I want to get the net completely out of the way so that I can use it with the Peapod. But if a Peapod was not in the game plan, then probably most any of the zip mods would do. Most any of them would allow me to reach outside of the hammock to get things, and to reach out and adjust under quilts like my Warbonnet. Or, just making it easy to reach out on both sides and make sure everything is kosher with my super shelter and what ever added insulation I have put in there. But from a practical point, the zip net it comes with is good enough that I would not get any mod unless it was mod #2.

Okay folks, a liitle more info. I went back outside this morning for the purpose of taking it down, but ended up playing around with it some more. I found out that:
    1: the hammock is more comfortable unzipped. All of those problems (minor) with my feet go way.

2:Also at this time I discovered a position on my left side with legs straight which was doable. Maybe not the very best, but I could sleep that way at least for a while. After I found this sweet spot, I was also able to achieve it with the hammock zipped up. By the way, this sweet spot for me (6'1") was with less diagonal, laying closer to the zipper. So I was not quite "straight", but was definitely less diagonal than I am laying on my back. That's something now I will have to try with my ultralight Explorer. And maybe other hammocks also.

3: I attached my Warbonnet Climashield torso UQ. After a little fiddling with suspension tightness, it works really great. On my back it was warm and snuggly right off the bat. But when I turned on my right side, a huge gap developed underneath. So I got out and tightened it up a good bit. Now everything seems snug in every position, but it really felt too tight. And when on my side, it felt like there wasn't enough room. So I slightly loosened it, and now all was good. I was warm on my back, left side and right side. Though really, for me sleeping on my side I think I would appreciate one or 2 inches more width in the UQ. But, it got the job done. And I am able to get the net out of the way enough to make needed adjustments, though it would be even better if I could get the net completely out of the way.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Cannibal, looks like for my purposes mod number two would be the one to go with. Since I want to get the net completely out of the way so that I can use it with the Peapod. But if a Peapod was not in the game plan, then probably most any of the zip mods would do. But from a practical point, the zip net it comes with is good enough that I would not get any mod unless it was mod #2.
    ZQ here...just curious...are you aware of the mod #4. This allows the zipper to be unzipped on both sides all the way to the end and stuffed into a small peak bag attached inside at the foot end? If cost isn't a determining concern...the mod #4 is the best way to get the netting completely out of the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 2Questions; 04-02-2011 at 13:52.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    ZQ here...just curious...are you aware of the mod #4. This allows the zipper to be unzipped on both sides all the way to the end and stuffed into a small peak bag attached inside at the foot end? If cost isn't a determining concern...the mod #4 is the best way to get the netting completely out of the way.
    I did not see that one, thanks. I'm still not sure that one would be better for PeaPod use than #2? When I look at the pics of #2, as best I can tell, it looks like the ends are pretty much free and open, with the net rolled up to the side. Most important for pod use is to be able to get the pods end under the RL and as close to the RL/hammock junction(the very end of the hammock) as possible. For the purpose of then closing/cinching down the ends of the pod to seal up the ends of the hammock. The netting rolled up tight on the side does not look like it would be much in the way. It is not sticking up high enough to make much difference.

#4 is completely out of the way on the sides, but looks like on one end the peak bag might hinder getting the pod all the way to the most narrow point on the end of the hammock? But it probably wouldn't hinder fit very much, and only on one end at that. Hard to say, both would probably work fine I guess?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    That's the one I was thinking of ZQ.
    Any benefits to the left or right mod?

BillyBob, think I may have you ship it straight in for a mod, then have it shipped back to you for further evaluation. Would you be alright with that? I think that DJ has been selected as my zip mod guinea pig and since you like it anyway, you can give me a report on the Peapod comfort and ease, if any. Obviously this time of year, I'm not so worried about the warmth.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I did not see that one, thanks. I'm still not sure that one would be better for PeaPod use than #2? When I look at the pics of #2, as best I can tell, it looks like the ends are pretty much free and open, with the net rolled up to the side. Most important for pod use is to be able to get the pods end under the RL and as close to the RL/hammock junction(the very end of the hammock) as possible. For the purpose of then closing/cinching down the ends of the pod to seal up the ends of the hammock. The netting rolled up tight on the side does not look like it would be much in the way. It is not sticking up high enough to make much difference.

#4 is completely out of the way on the sides, but looks like on one end the peak bag might hinder getting the pod all the way to the most narrow point on the end of the hammock? But it probably wouldn't hinder fit very much, and only on one end at that. Hard to say, both would probably work fine I guess?
    We don't know much about the peapod. The ridgeline is unexposed for approx. 6" at the foot end. I don't know if that would be a problem for the closure of the peapod at that end. It isn't the bag that you are seeing in the picture. It is a triangular piece of fabric that is sewn in at the end. The storage bag is underneath that piece.

Maybe someone with the mod #4 and has used the peapod could address your concerns.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    PM inbound.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Images

BillyBob, think I may have you ship it straight in for a mod, then have it shipped back to you for further evaluation. Would you be alright with that? I think that DJ has been selected as my zip mod guinea pig and since you like it anyway, you can give me a report on the Peapod comfort and ease, if any. Obviously this time of year, I'm not so worried about the warmth.
    Sure, I'll test 'er for 'ya! Just let me know for sure. Only thing is: remember I am in MS. Won't be much longer and any attempted test will be a sweat fest! Of course, I can get a good idea of how it fits without being in it and/or being in it for a short time.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    BillyBob, have you tried sleeping with the zipper on your left? I find that I can sleep on my left side with no issues except the bug net is right there, which doesn't bother me. Try it, it may be more comfortable for you that way. I'll have to try laying the correct way one of these days as well.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    BillyBob, have you tried sleeping with the zipper on your left? I find that I can sleep on my left side with no issues except the bug net is right there, which doesn't bother me. Try it, it may be more comfortable for you that way. I'll have to try laying the correct way one of these days as well.
    I have not, though I have not found any problems sleeping with the zipper on the right, it has been one of the most comfortable hammocks overall. But, as I write this I see one thing: the minor foot issues I mentioned? OK, worth looking into!

Hammock
    Custom Darien 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben & Sil SF
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutch bkls

A couple observations

Happy to see a new thread on this hammock. I recently purchased the DJ XL for a winter setup. I had started with an Exped Asym and thought it was a little small for me.
    A couple observations after my February trip on Mt. Greylock:

- This hammock is huge! I could move around quite a bit and get comfortable on an asym but did notice the same feet near the bugnet issue when in the recommended zipper on right orientation but with the size of this hammock I could move away slightly and still be in the zone. Also a noticeable lack of calf pressure when I found the sweet spot. I tried the reverse zipper on left and it was just as comfortable but the netting was closer to my face. It’s a toss-up on which way I‘ll be sleeping in the XL.

- The pad openings are smaller than I like making it hard to get pads between the layers when it’s cold and you want fast and simple but may contribute to keeping the pad in place. The wide Gossamar Gear thinlight pad worked well between the fabric layers allowing me to move all over inside with no issues. I’m going to leave the openings stock for now and try tie-outs on the pad similar to the bubble pad. This was supplementing my Hammock gear 3 season incubator on this trip.

- The overcover attaches to the tie-outs which are below the zipper. You have to remember to raise both feet when rolling out for any night time callings or you will end up eating snow (guess how I know) This is one area where my WBBB and BBO excel. The tie-outs above the zipper make it much more convenient. The BBO also makes a better airtight seal for me. I was made aware of this issue when I made the purchase (+1 for Hennessey support) and it won’t be a deal breaker once I get in the habit of raising both legs around the tie-out.

Two upcoming mods are going to be the #4 from 2Q & ZQ and I think I’m going to add the WBBB style buckles I purchased from AHE. That will make the winter setup even easier than the rings I used this last winter.
    --
    John

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast