Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Thumbs up Thoughts on Deep Jungle

Cannibal was nice enough to loan me one of his Deep Jungle XLs. I managed to get it out in the woods for a quick day hike, then had to go out of town for a couple of weeks. My first impressions were very positive, liking many things about it. But I wasn't sure if it was quite up to the comfort level of my ultralight Explorer. Today I have been trying it out again. I think I have changed my mind about the comfort differences. It is definitely one of the most comfortable hammocks I have used. First off, I seem to find it very easy to avoid the accursed left calf pressure, at least 90% of the time. I have also found it quite easy to get comfortable in various side/fetal positions, left side and right side.

As far as I can tell, my number two super shelter fits it just fine.

I slipped a full-length Ridge rest pad into the pad pocket. I had to roll it up to get in there, but once it was in there it seemed to work better than most hammocks (gathered end) that I have tried to use with a pad. ( but of course, still not quite as good as a pad with a BMBH! )

Inside I found it roomy and comfortable, and the net stays nicely out of my face. I really love the fabric this is made out of, it really has a nice feel to it. The zippered net could not be slicker. It works with perfection every time. However, I still might prefer to get a bottom entry Explorer and have a 2Q zipper mod done. This would give me more options for positioning the net out of the way, and still retain a bottom entry. But then again, I like so much about this hammock, that I may end up preferring it to the Explorer. But the Deep Jungle does not have a bottom entry option.

Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-27-2011 at 07:35.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Wow, awesome review! Thanks for the pictures as well! The only thing I really don't care for about it is the zipper and zipper pull size.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Wow, awesome review! Thanks for the pictures as well! The only thing I really don't care for about it is the zipper and zipper pull size.
    You are welcome, Chris! But just very much a mini-review for now, more to come later as I continue to use it. So far the zippers are one of my fav things, though I guess the pulls could be a bit bigger come to think of it. But so far I'm thinking "very nice over all".

I forgo to mention that the ropes are quite different than on my UL Explorer and Safari, much thinner and less bulky and something more like Spider line.

I think maybe I also hang lower under the ridge line than with my Explorer. Maybe that is why it seems to be easier to keep the net out of my face on the diagonal.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-28-2011 at 17:46.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    My zippers and zipper pulls are huge on my DJ! They are quite heavy as well. I replaced the ropes with amsteel whoopies as soon as I got it, hung from the original suspension once and that's it. The ropes that are on mine are stiff and heavy compared to whoopie slings. Whoopie slings also pack much better than that stiff rope.

Can't wait to see more of your review!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Glad you're diggin it!
    The Deep Jungles are pretty easily my favorite Hennessy Hammock. The fabric is what makes it special IMO. Kind of an ENO feel on an aysm hammock. Hope you get some good night's sleep in it.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Glad you're diggin it!
    The Deep Jungles are pretty easily my favorite Hennessy Hammock. The fabric is what makes it special IMO. Kind of an ENO feel on an aysm hammock. Hope you get some good night's sleep in it.
    Right, the fabric is great. Maybe the best so far!

While trying to find a nit to pick, found this: my right foot-- when it is fully zipped up- feels a bit cramped and tight up against the hammock/net/zipper. Plus, this will compress any down. I can over come it by moving up in the hammock. But this starts getting me real close to the net. I probably just need to get the foot hung higher. Easy to mess this up on a Vario stand because of the way it flexes--- hard to get things adjusted precisely or even close. Not a problem when unzipped. Not a biggy anyway, I could just put a small pad between hammock and foot if down compression is causing a cold spot.

I can't remember if I have even tried on my side with legs straight. But, it either is not or I don't think it will be any better than my Explorer, which for me is not great. My WBBB and Claytor and HH Safari are all better than my HH Explorer ( and this DJ I'm pretty sure) for that category. And of course it goes without saying, my JRB bridge.

But I don't much care that much about that, because as with my Safari and even Explorer, I can find numerous fetal(or nearly fetal) positions- left and right- that are as comfortable or likely more so than with any other hammock. I have only fairly recently discovered this with my HHs( and also Speer) that if I get in a sweet spot fetal, a ridge will form under my waist, supporting it and negating any side "torque" at all. This is extremely comfortable and all I need for side sleeping. When on my left side, I put my head on the "right" side of the hammock (opposite side from back sleeping). Right side I am lined up in the normal diagonal, but in both cases more diagonal than normal. Sweet! I don't think fetal gets any more comfy than with this setup. At least for me.

But, there is one negative to all that: it may cause insulation challenges because of the positioning. Not too bad with the HHSS. But depending on what you are using, you might need some small CCF pads to insulate cold spots. Or say with a PeaPod (if it will even work at all) I have found that sort of position may not only cause cold spots from compression, but actually pop the pod open. So, best deal with my PeaPod for side sleeping is on a normal diagonal (with the Claytor) legs straight of knees pulled up. But without extreme diagonal.

What I think is a "higher RL" is doing a great job of keeping the net away from my face especially when zipped up. When laying in it with the net zipped and the HHSS overcover on, it feels very much like being in a small tent. And it is noticeably warmer. I have been able to lay around in the high 40s with just a cotton long sleeve shirt and jeans for an hour or two reading, and been warm enough. Though I'm sure I couldn't sleep with that little insulation. But maybe in the high 50s-low 60s? Maybe.

The pad pocket worked very well indeed with a CCF Ridgerest. But with an inflatable, it might be quite the hassle to get it in there and even more so to get it back out. The pad pocket openings are very small. Wish I had a HH bubble pad to test!

Very good hammock!

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    The pad pocket opening is really small on the zipper side on mine, maybe 6". On the other side the opening is around 14" long but I still have to fold my HH bubble pad to get it in there. If/when I send my DJ to 2QZQ I'm going to see if they can make the opening on the zipper side 18" long or so. I plan to use my HH bubble pad with my KAQ Potomac during the colder months. I agree with you about the right foot kinda being scrunched against the side. I often sleep with my left foot up which gives my right foot room to breath. Unlike you, I sleep the with the zipper on my left so my head sometimes touches the net, which I don't like. I have yet to try sleeping the other way round, I thought you were supposed to sleep with the zipper on your left in a Hennessy until a few weeks ago!

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    BillyBob, when you are in your DJ, on your back, is the zipper on your left or right side?

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    I have the Deep Jungle, I have slept in my unheated basement (Ontario, Canada) with the bubble pad alone. It does the job, but I don't think that I would try it outside, but it works.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Quote Originally Posted by greggg3 View Post
    BillyBob, when you are in your DJ, on your back, is the zipper on your left or right side?
    99.99% sure that BillyBob sleeps with the zipper on his right. I sleep with it on my left, it's the same either way.

I set my WBB up for the first time today. The left calf/knee pressure is much worse than in my DJ. It's quickly remedied with a jacket under the knee, though. The WBB is quite a bit wider than the DJ but the DJ is longer, or maybe it's just that the ridgeline is longer on the DJ, I don't know. The footbox doesn't seem to make a bit of difference (to me) in comfort. I find the DJ more comfortable, easier to get into and more heavy duty than the WBB. The DJ is also much heavier than the WBB, which is something I don't care for. The zippers and zipper pulls are huge on my DJ (apparently not the case with BB's) so I think I'm gonna replace the pulls with dyneema or something similar. I think I might keep the WBB for my hiking set up and use the DJ for car camping. Both are great hammocks but I like the DJ better.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast