Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks for the review BillyBob58.

As far as I can tell, my number two super shelter fits it just fine.
    I wondered about that, since HH's website doesn't list the DJ on the SS page.

I slipped a full-length Ridge rest pad into the pad pocket.
    I thought the Deep Jungle comes with its own pad from Hennessy?

Thanks again,

Pup

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pupster View Post
    I thought the Deep Jungle comes with its own pad from Hennessy?
    Time changes all things.

My first DJ, I bought from Tom's hand at Trail Days 2009. It didn't even come with a stuff sack, let alone a tarp or bubble pad.

My second DJ, was one of the very early production models. By that I mean, it was one of the ones sent out on the initial retail push. It came with a tarp and a stuff sack, but no bubble pad.

BillyBob58 has the second one. Only recently have they been including a bubble pad with their DJs. I guess it pays to wait a couple of years after a release from Hennessy before you buy one. You get more goodies the longer you wait.
    Trust nobody!

Ah. OK, thanks Cannibal.

Ann from Hennessy answered my other question:

Yes, some people do use the Supershelter with the Deep Jungle so that they have more insulation in really cold conditions.
    No modification is necessary.

Thanks

Ann

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pupster View Post
    Ah. OK, thanks Cannibal.

Ann from Hennessy answered my other question:

Yes, some people do use the Supershelter with the Deep Jungle so that they have more insulation in really cold conditions.
    No modification is necessary.

Thanks

Ann
    OK then, now it is official and I can drop any slight worries!

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    3: I attached my Warbonnet Climashield torso UQ. After a little fiddling with suspension tightness, it works really great. On my back it was warm and snuggly right off the bat. But when I turned on my right side, a huge gap developed underneath. So I got out and tightened it up a good bit. Now everything seems snug in every position, but it really felt too tight. And when on my side, it felt like there wasn't enough room. So I slightly loosened it, and now all was good. I was warm on my back, left side and right side. Though really, for me sleeping on my side I think I would appreciate one or 2 inches more width in the UQ. But, it got the job done. And I am able to get the net out of the way enough to make needed adjustments, though it would be even better if I could get the net completely out of the way.
    BillyBob, how did you attach the UQ, and is the WB climashield similar to the Yeti?
    I have a winter yeti from Brandon that I love with the Blackbird. (Before this I tried a quilt -Mt Washington, i think- from the Jacks, but I could never get it suspended properly - its now my fav. winter top quilt). The Yeti attaches simply with shockcord to the end gathered clumps at each end of the hammock, adjust the shockcord and thats it. You can slide it forwards and back on the shock cord which runs thru channels on each side. Super easy and quick to install, no air gaps, non-confining, easy to adjust - love it. I just havent figured out how to run it on the DJ XL though- maybe with prussic hooks on the suspension cord, the way its set up for tarps? any other ideas?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    BillyBob, have you tried sleeping with the zipper on your left? I find that I can sleep on my left side with no issues except the bug net is right there, which doesn't bother me. Try it, it may be more comfortable for you that way. I'll have to try laying the correct way one of these days as well.
    I have tried it now, though I have not been in it for an entire night. But it has pretty much the same over all feel, but with more room for my feet on the diagonal. The net still stayed well clear of my face. Left calf pressure still minimal. IOW, about the same ( a surprise to me) but foot pressure improved by having the zipper on the opposite side.

Quote Originally Posted by greggg3 View Post
    BillyBob, how did you attach the UQ, and is the WB climashield similar to the Yeti?
    I have a winter yeti from Brandon that I love with the Blackbird. (Before this I tried a quilt -Mt Washington, i think- from the Jacks, but I could never get it suspended properly - its now my fav. winter top quilt). The Yeti attaches simply with shockcord to the end gathered clumps at each end of the hammock, adjust the shockcord and thats it. You can slide it forwards and back on the shock cord which runs thru channels on each side. Super easy and quick to install, no air gaps, non-confining, easy to adjust - love it. I just havent figured out how to run it on the DJ XL though- maybe with prussic hooks on the suspension cord, the way its set up for tarps? any other ideas?
    I'm embarrassed to say I can't even remember. But I know it was no trouble. I probably just clipped into the Prussicks. Some times, with any UQ or the PeaPod, if the hammock is extra long, I just girth hitch a 1 or 2 foot cord on the end of the hammock(or tie to Prussicks) and attach the UQ to this cord. In fact, the same day I tried it on the DJ I also had the WBUQ on my Safari, attached by the above extension cord method. And it worked fine.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Anybody have an AHE Potomac that you use with your DJ? I'm having trouble keeping my back and butt warm. The quilt doesn't really fit the hammock, the loops that the side tieouts are supposed to go through are not in the corrects spots. One will be correct while the other is off even if I spin it around. Anybody have any tricks to the AHE Potomac? My back and butt were cold at only 50 degrees! I got a couple of suggestions in another thread but I thought I would ask you guys before I try them. I'm thinking of just selling the thing and getting down from HG, I know for sure I'll be warm in a HG Incubator!

Great review and great comments.

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    OES MacCat'D Cuben
    Insulation
    Usually nothing
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    After I found this sweet spot, I was also able to achieve it with the hammock zipped up. By the way, this sweet spot for me (6'1") was with less diagonal, laying closer to the zipper. So I was not quite "straight", but was definitely less diagonal than I am laying on my back.
    Interesting. I also have found the sweet spot for me much more inline then i expected from my readings - just slightly on the diagonal. I am with the zipper to the right and 6'3" (have the xl model).

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Anybody have an AHE Potomac that you use with your DJ? I'm having trouble keeping my back and butt warm. The quilt doesn't really fit the hammock, the loops that the side tieouts are supposed to go through are not in the corrects spots. One will be correct while the other is off even if I spin it around. Anybody have any tricks to the AHE Potomac? My back and butt were cold at only 50 degrees! I got a couple of suggestions in another thread but I thought I would ask you guys before I try them. I'm thinking of just selling the thing and getting down from HG, I know for sure I'll be warm in a HG Incubator!
    This would be a good post to place over in one of the HHSS question threads. Where many folks post their opinions that the SS just has too much fiddle factor. Point being: you don't automatically escape fiddle factor by avoiding the HHSS with an UQ. These kinds of questions are pretty common. In fact, if you don't mind, I may copy this over to one of those threads.

I might ignore the foot end loops, and just use the shoulder one, unless the foot end loop is required to keep the UQ snug up against the hammock. The Potomac is designed to fit the HH ULBP perfectly, so I would think that the loops might not line up perfectly on the DJ, as it is a longer hammock.

You should have zero trouble being warm with a Potomac at 50, so I'm thinking you have some sort of gap problem. The UQ is probably not sealing up well enough at one or more edges, allowing cold air to pool under you, between your back side and the quilt. If you have such a problem, getting an Incubator will not guarantee solving that problem. Don't be TOO quick to give up on the Potomac! Very often people have learning curves with all of these UQs!

If this is the problem, you may need to tighten up the suspension a good bit. Or change the angle of the suspension, running it up to the RL closer to your head and feet rather than closer to the hammock ends. You may need Triangle Thingies or something like that. This is a common cause of problems. I have a WB torso UQ, and I have to get that sucker pretty tight to reach its impressive potential.

Is the Potomac differentially cut? If not, then another problem can be if the suspension is TOO tight, causing compression of the insulation/loft. It should be adjusted so that, once you are in, your back is just barely touching the UQ, but not tight enough to compress loft. You may need another person to help you get it set, then leave it on the hammock.

I don't know about the Potomac, but another common problem with many UQs is having the UQ positioned wrong relative to your bod. IOW, for example, if my WB UQ is positioned much above my neck/shoulder line( even a small amount) I quickly get cold.

EDIT: here is a picture showing what I was talking about a few lines previous when I said "Or change the angle of the suspension".

Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-12-2011 at 08:57.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast