DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    yeah whatever you don don't drop the UQ...you will be very sorry
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    also if you use less stuff sacks and swap out the ones you have now for all cuben ones you can save 4oz easy

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Because I can't help myself... Texron's sig is from Armeggedon
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Jarrod I just bought my UQ protector lol . Now I am not trying to go ultra light and I am getting a spinn tarp weighs 8 oz say 10 with tie outs. won't always have down coat booties with me the fuel 8 oz was for my 10 day trip same with 2 pair of socks . I downsized the first aid kit from 2 lbs to 9 oz to now 5 no more lol my gravity filter and hiker pro way the same gives me another water holding element in camp don't like drops Rain gear will change eventually . Pad and tyveK is for ground if no trees Oh Mugs LokSak is a oder bearer zip loc style bag I use it inside the cuben fiber stuff sack to hang my food. Now I won't be always lugging everything you see in my list 3 days sunny weather will drop some stuff. and Jarrod I don't like bug dope on my face why I spent the money on The BPL mask . So all that being said please don't think I am wrestling with you guys I do have some reasons for my madness

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    it's all good Jim
    even if you do keep a few things you still can drop 5lbs from your list easy ...
    i know it's hard at first but once you get past that first hurdle it's all down hill from there LOL

so far your doing good....
    but after this hike do what i said about the 3 piles of gear

the first pile is the gear you used alot

the 2nd pile is the gear and cloths you used a few times

the 3rd pile is of the gear and cloths you didn't use Exp your First aid kit put that in the first pile

take all the gear you didn't use...and put it away
    take the pile that was used a few times and go through it and see what you could have gone without and put that away as well...and take all the gear you have left and weight it and see what you came up with in the end...I would make a bet you would drop a few lbs of stuff easy

i still do this to this day...i even do it with other hobbies it's a really good way to cut out the stuff you really don't need

Hammock
    Wraith UL, XLC ,Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WB BMJ & Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow,TeWa,GoLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    Because I can't help myself... Texron's sig is from Armeggedon
    DING DING DING, we have a winner. great quote, bad movie ...IMO. Sorry for the thread derail. Carry what you're comfy with. Don't give up your comforts (unless you want to) for a couple ounces. I should follow my own advice
    Rockhound: “Hey, Harry.”
    Harry: “Yeah, Rock?”
    Rockhound: “You know we're sitting on 4 million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon, and a thing that has two hundred and seventy thousand moving parts, built by the lowest bidder!”

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    here's my 2 cents. i didn't read some replies (like GLP's. different colors for your responses if you do that format. i can't tell where medicjim stops and you begin ) so sorry if they repeat

Why do you carry a seperate mug jsut for coffee? can't you drink out of the cookpot? if you want a seperate mug just get a styrofoam cup from work and use that. WAY lighter than the 5oz mug just for that cup of joe...

2 stoves? pick one and use it. if the trip is expecting to be on the dry side then take the bushbuddy. if it's supposed to be rainy then take the alky. unnecessary to have both.

replace rain pants with zpack rain skirt. save 9 ozs.

baselayer silk shirt and long sleeve shirt in pack redundant. take 1.

i would leave the candle lantern (or maybe just take 1 or 2 candles) and save that weight. build a little fire if you want some ambiance...

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    here's my 2 cents. i didn't read some replies (like GLP's. different colors for your responses if you do that format. i can't tell where medicjim stops and you begin ) so sorry if they repeat

Why do you carry a seperate mug jsut for coffee? can't you drink out of the cookpot? if you want a seperate mug just get a styrofoam cup from work and use that. WAY lighter than the 5oz mug just for that cup of joe...

2 stoves? pick one and use it. if the trip is expecting to be on the dry side then take the bushbuddy. if it's supposed to be rainy then take the alky. unnecessary to have both.

replace rain pants with zpack rain skirt. save 9 ozs.

baselayer silk shirt and long sleeve shirt in pack redundant. take 1.

i would leave the candle lantern (or maybe just take 1 or 2 candles) and save that weight. build a little fire if you want some ambiance...
    yeah i should have ...i didn't think i was going to rip it apart that much so by the time i was almost done i didn't want to go back and redo it...
    i'm working on a few songs on the side here i'm just posting in between breaks LOL

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    awesome stuff Jim! some good changes

I too have tea light candles with a small tin, have hardly used it - if ever.
    I have a knife issue - once my client makes my neck knife that will allow me to leave behind the larger one I carry now.

GLP I have made the diff piles with my state guard gear. after doing the same training or going on diff events - I now carry much less on a regular basis for state guard work. However, each situation is diff - just as each hike is diff. but having the basics narrowed down is the same mind set I have implemented for my hiking gear.

thx to raul once I change wbbb suspension, water bladder & stakes. just those few small items will shave at least a lb. should bring me real close to 10lbs 3 season

have fun with it!

Here is one way of looking at this, almost everything on your list can be gotten lighter, so you can keep the things you want!

Having the larger tarp, if you feel that this is what you need to have to feel comfy and dry, then I say "Keep" it, but, if you are looking to go lighter and still keep the same amount of coverage you have the spinn and cuben option! Doing this will save you weight!

For rain gear, if you feel that pants are a must have, you have a couple options, if you can sew, you can get the materials and make a pair yourself (cuben/spinn/sil), or you can look into a dri-ducks pair! Also the rain jacket, there are plenty of jackets out there that are under 10oz's, so by doing this you will drop some weight!

Stove: I carry both a alky stove and a wood stove, and many do, if that is what you like then continue to do so! But one option to try (this is what I do) is I carry a stuff sack (waterproof) that I keep dry tinder and dry wood in, it's just enough to get the wood stove going (well two times actually) so that if it has been raining I have some dry wood to get my wood stove going and I can use the wet wood(well I use my knife to get to the less wet inside wood)! Now the amount of alky I carry is in direct reflection to how many meals I need it for, I only use my alky for breakfast and I only use wood for dinner, so I only need 1oz for a 2cup water boil in the morning, if I need more I will just go ahead and fire up the wood instead! I only carry 1oz per day sometimes only 1/2oz per day, remember if you have already treated your water you really don't need is to come to a rolling boil, just very hot will still give you the same results!

If you like having a cup to drink out of and a pot to cook in and want to keep them that way try looking for something lighter, MBD has the QMH cook pot (the one that Shug uses) this is very, very light weight, also you could look at the MSR Titan cup, which is much lighter than your listed coffee cup!

Just by doing things like this you can cut weight, but still keep the comforts that you like, now mind you that in order to cut serious weight, you will most likely have to do some of the things that Raul/GLP/and Wags (+ others) have said and start dropping things! But I would take a look around first as you might just surprise yourself at what can be had that is lighter than what you got!?!?

A much lighter weight pack cover can be had by switching to a Z-Packs cuben (I have one for my OHM and it is very, very nice), this would cut a couple ounces!

Or switching to lighter line for things, the cuben stuff sacks (or dry sacks) would cut weight!
    If you were to go this route (like I tried to explain, but probably didn't do very well) you could cut a least 1/4 of the weight (if not a 1/3rd)! As remember, ounces add up, so before you know it, you could lose a couple lbs!

Not sure if this helps you or confuses you (ha I think I confused myself???)!!!!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast