Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle

My updated gear list for now to sort through .

ULA Catalyst Large Torso and Hip belt 49oz
    ULA Rain Cover Large Silnylon 3 3/4 oz

Total
    52.3/4 oz
    Shelter System 3 1/4 lbs

Warbonnet Superfly Attached doors, Tie outs , and stuff sack 25 oz
    Warbonnet Bug net with stuff sack 8oz
    2Q/ZQ UQ Protector Breathable Ripstop Nylon with stuff sack 7 3/8 oz
    Stakes 8 ea MSR Ground Hogs 1 aluminum Sheppard hook and stuff sack 5 3/8 oz

Total 46 oz
    2 1/4 lbs
    Sleeping System

Warbonnet Hammock 1.7 double Traveler with straps cinch buckle and stuff sack 30 oz
    DIY 3/4 3 Season UQ 800 Fill with suspension and stuff sack 14 5/8 oz
    Hammock Gear TQ 3 season 900 fill Reg with stuff sack 20 oz
    1/4 " CCF Pad 3/4 length 3 3/8 oz

65 1/4 oz
    4 lb

Big Three 163 oz
    10 lbs

Kitchen

MSR Titan Kettle With Pot Cozy and small Cuben Fiber stuff sack 5 5/8 oz
    Bushmans Big Breeze 2.0 Alcohol stove with windscreen 1 3/4 oz
    4 oz alcohol 2 ea total 8 oz fuel 8 oz
    Bushbuddy Standard 6.5 oz
    Fire Kit Bic Lighter , Waterproof matches, Scout light my fire, Cotton balls Vaseline 2 oz
    Bear Bag Carbon Fiber bag, Loksak, 50' Cord ,Carabineer Rock sack 3.5 oz
    Water Filter Katadyn Base Camp gravity Filter 12oz
    Snow Peak Titanium 45o Coffee mug 4 oz
    Cleaning 1 oz Dr Bonners soap 1/4 Green pad in Ziploc bag 1 1/2 oz
    Utensils Lexan Spoon and Fork 3/4 oz

Total 44 oz
    2 3/4 lbs

Clothing Packed

Montbell Inner Jacket 800 Fill XL 13 oz
    Black Rock Hat 900 Fill XL 1 oz
    BPL Bug Net 3/4 oz
    Wool Blend Socks 2 ea 6 oz
    MLD Mitts 1 pair seam sealed and sack
    Possum Down gloves Large
    Rain Jacket large Nylon Stern Brand 16 oz
    Rain Pants Marmot Precip full zip XL 13 oz
    Long Sleeve Shirt 3/4 zip starter brand Poly Pro 8 oz
    Base layer silk top and bottoms 3 3/4 oz
    Down Booties Goose feet large 900 fill 50% more 2 7/8 oz
    Pack Liner 2 mil Trash Compactor bag 3 3/8 oz

Total 67 oz
    4 lbs

Miscellaneous

Poop Pack TP of roll , 1 oz hand sanitizer in mini cubin stuff sack 2 1/2 oz
    First aid Kit 5 1/2 oz
    Hygiene Kit 4 3/4 oz
    Tea Candle Lantern with stuff sack and 6 spare candles 7 oz
    Petzl Tikka Headlamp with 3 AAA batteries 3 oz
    Compass Suunto with 1/2 pencil , note pad and whistle 5 1/2 oz
    Ditty Bag 3 oz
    Ground Cloth 4X9 Tyvek 7 oz
    Camera Case, Spare battery, Spare SD card , Stick Pick 7 7/8 oz
    Tripod lightweight 48 " telescopic 14 oz

Total 59 oz
    3.5 lbs

Grand Totals Minus 2 liters water and food 333 oz
    21 lbs

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    You've been busy today.
    Looks good.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    My Critique:

Shelter: Is such a big tarp necessary for the 3 season hiking time? If so can the doors be left home Also change out the MSR ground hogs for Ti shepards hooks. I bet you could cut your shelter weight in half with a smaller tarp and less and lighter stakes.

Sleep system. I know it may not be $$ possible but couldn't you go with a WBBB 1.1 0r 1.7 it already has the built in mosquito netting and weighs about the same...thus loosing the extra weight of the netting. Also going to dutch biners and whoopies will save a ton of weight.

Can you get away with just using a TQ and the foam and leave the UQ at home...Perhaps some reflectix instead of the foam..It has better heating properties.

Kitchen. Drop the alcy stove and the bush buddy and go with ESBIT. If you are not willing to take that risk then leave the bush buddy stove at home.

You don't need all that fire lighting equipment. A mini bic and a few REI storm proof matches for just in case. I would probably leave 2-4 cotton balls in my kit as well.

When using an Ursak you don't need to "bear bag" it just tie it securely around a tree ans leave it be. I have never, ever had an issue doing it this way. And I don't even use an Aloksak with it.

Why the pot and cup. Unless you cook in the pot and don't do FBC use a larger cup like a SP 600, BPL 450 or the smaller (700ml) IMUSA cup. And leave the pot at home. The cup becomes your pot and cup at the same time.

Drop the lexan utensils and get an REI Ti long spoon. weighs a wee bit more but is a lot more functional

Drop the water filter and go with Aqua Mira Tabs.

Clothing: Either gloves or mitts, not both.

Frogg todds rain gear is half the weight and very in expensive. Make you rain gear (jacket) do triple duty. Rain, wind and outer layer hard shell.

Pricip pants are unnecessary. Again if you want a full rain suit then the Frogg todds are the way to go. I think there like 20 oz for top and bottom.

Just go with one pair of extra socks. Some say keep that pair until the last day and just wash the ones your wearing daily. . I prefer to do wash one wear one routine but ymmv.

Down booties, optional.

MISC: Uses blue shop towels cut into fourths for TP. I allot myself about 5 squares a day. I like to have a 9in easton stake for my shovel.

First aid: A few pills, band aids, ointments, butterflies, and few other items are all that is needed. Should come into about 2oz YMVV Gorilla tape around the trekking poles will take care of the rest.

Hygiene, a simple fold able/collapsing travel toot brush and a 6x6 quick dry towel is plenty. Use the Doctor Bonnors as toothpaste as well, and you already have hand sanitizer.

Leave all the candle lantern stuff at home.

I find the P-Tech E-lite is more then antiquate for most needs weighs 1 oz.

Ground cloth is not needed. A tyvek mailer with a small ccf foam piece in it is just right for keeping the butt dry and warm when needed.

Tripod.....REALLY to each his own.

Please keep in mind these are just my onions and ideas of what I see you could potentially do to drop weight and also don't need. I don't know your hiking style and I don't know where you hike. I hike in Alpine and the temps are usually around 35-40 at night ans 60-70 during the day, and I get away with using way less. But that is just me. Its all a learning curve. Again YMMV and please don't take what I have to say with too much salt as per me not knowing your situations. This is just my critique of it all. The key thing is to get out there and have fun.

But remember grams add to ounces, ounces add to pounds, and pounds adds to pain and discomfort, and hiking danger.

I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Mugs I am going to get a lighter tarp looking at the OES Standard in spinUl will be getting the ti Shepard hooks I don't like the pad in hammock, I don't like esbit Locsak nor ursak so have to bear bag lol I am not trying to go ultralight my friend thanks for pointers though I mean it. still laughing though on TP Tip

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I agree a lot with what Mugs said.... Except the under quilt comment. You'll need to pry my UQ from my kung fu grip (and my kung fu is strong).

If you wear shorts while hiking... Go rain kilt and save 10oz.

Tarp is one of your big weights... Look to lighten to something in the OES Deluxe size and save 12oz

Tripod... Your call depending on what u are trying to accomplish in the piney woods.

Rain jacket is also heavy... Look for items in the 6-10oz range. Triptease and I have the AGG rain jacket which is really light BUT no vents... Still testing I'm not in a position to say yay or nay.

I recently made the switch to cuben fiber dry bags and abandoned the pack liner method. Also, check out oven bags as bag liners less than an ounce.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mugs View Post
    My Critique:

Shelter: Is such a big tarp necessary for the 3 season hiking time? If so can the doors be left home Also change out the MSR ground hogs for Ti shepards hooks. I bet you could cut your shelter weight in half with a smaller tarp and less and lighter stakes.
    I was going to mention something similar. If this gear list is for 3 season use, then using a Superfly with attached doors is overkill. That is a great winter tarp. If you can switch that out to a MacCat Deluxe or Big Mamajamba then the weight reduces down to 14 oz our so. For 3 season use, I believe the UQ protector is not really needed and that is another half pound off your weight.

I agree also that rain pants aren't all that necessary and getting the Dri Ducks poncho would suffice for rain gear. Then you could get the weather shield mod from JRB and use it if needed.

Normally when doing base weight gear lists, consumable items like fuel and water are excluded. Speaking of water, I don't see any water bottles or hydration bladders in your gear list.

I think you've pared down your list quite a bit and your effort shows. Now the process comes down to really taking a look at what you actually use on your trips. Based on your past trips, did you actually use all the gear that you packed. If the answer is no, then remove the stuff that you didn't use. Repeat the process until you've gotten to the point where you are comfortable with the gear you've taken and didn't lack anything that you really wanted.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Good conversation,,thanks
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by medicjimr View Post
    I don't like esbit Locsak nor ursak so have to bear bag lol I am not trying to go ultralight my friend thanks for pointers though I mean it. still laughing though on TP Tip
    I figured since you said carbon fiber bag that it was a Ursak. Sorry.

You mention Loksack in your gear list so why don't you like it?

Not trying to make you U.L. (though I think the world should be) just help lighten your load a wee bit.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    since i know ya pretty good jim i'll take a shot at this ....

ULA Catalyst Large Torso and Hip belt 49oz
    ULA Rain Cover Large Silnylon 3 3/4 oz(don't need if you have a driducks poncho)

you said you are getting a Ohm(23.6oz) so this will save you 25.4oz

Total
    52.3/4 oz
    Shelter System 3 1/4 lbs

Warbonnet Superfly Attached doors, Tie outs , and stuff sack 25 oz(Get a 3 season tarp and keep this as your winter tarp ...this is alot of tarp you will save 10oz easy ) so say 15oz for a 3 season tarp

Warbonnet Bug net with stuff sack 8oz

2Q/ZQ UQ Protector Breathable Ripstop Nylon with stuff sack 7 3/8 oz(Leave this at home at use a Driducks poncho...it can be used as an undercover and your rain gear...to be honest this is more os a winter item anyway...you won't need it for 3 season location will be key to setting up camp) -7.3oz

Stakes 8 ea MSR Ground Hogs 1 aluminum Sheppard hook and stuff sack 5 3/8 oz(get rid of these and go with Ti stake you will save 3oz easy) Ti stakes 2oz

Total 46 oz.... new total is 25oz

Sleeping System

Warbonnet Hammock 1.7 double Traveler with straps cinch buckle and stuff sack 30 oz( you can always go with a Nano 7 it holds 300lbs and weights 7oz but get rid of the webbing and buckls and use WS..you will save 4oz so new weight would be 26oz) 26oz
    DIY 3/4 3 Season UQ 800 Fill with suspension and stuff sack 14 5/8 oz
    Hammock Gear TQ 3 season 900 fill Reg with stuff sack 20 oz
    1/4 " CCF Pad 3/4 length 3 3/8 oz( you don't need a big pad you need a small section that will fit in the footbox of your TQ say 14x12 so say 2oz for the pad) 2oz

65 1/4 oz ....... i got 62.2oz
    4 lb

Big Three 163 oz( my big 3 total is 110.8oz or thats 6lbs 14.8oz)
    10 lbs

Kitchen

MSR Titan Kettle With Pot Cozy and small Cuben Fiber stuff sack 5 5/8 oz
    Bushmans Big Breeze 2.0 Alcohol stove with windscreen 1 3/4 oz(it's a nice stove but get a mini atomic there only .7oz .. new weight .7oz
    4 oz alcohol 2 ea total 8 oz fuel 8 oz(if your using wood you really don't need more then 4oz of fuel so say 4oz ) 4oz
    Bushbuddy Standard 6.5 oz
    Fire Kit Bic Lighter , Waterproof matches, Scout light my fire, Cotton balls Vaseline 2 oz
    Bear Bag Carbon Fiber bag, Loksak, 50' Cord ,Carabineer Rock sack 3.5 oz
    Water Filter Katadyn Base Camp gravity Filter 12oz(dump this it's way too much filter for one person and go with aqua mira drops there is hardly no taste and weight next to nothing and you will never have to worry about them freezing or failing you 3oz) 3oz
    Snow Peak Titanium 45o Coffee mug 4 oz(use your kettle to drink out of and save yourself 4oz) -4oz
    Cleaning 1 oz Dr Bonners soap 1/4 Green pad in Ziploc bag 1 1/2 oz
    Utensils Lexan Spoon and Fork 3/4 oz

Total 44 oz my total is 26.7oz 1lbs 10.7oz
    2 3/4 lbs

Clothing Packed

Montbell Inner Jacket 800 Fill XL 13 oz
    Black Rock Hat 900 Fill XL 1 oz
    BPL Bug Net 3/4 oz(your going to find out that you really don't need this if you are using bug juice )-3/4oz
    Wool Blend Socks 2 ea 6 oz (1 pair is all you really need...it's all i ever took in my 15+ years of backpacking ) -3oz
    MLD Mitts 1 pair seam sealed and sack
    Possum Down gloves Large (get a pair of UA glove liners there only 1oz)1oz
    Rain Jacket large Nylon Stern Brand 16 oz (drop this and use a Driducks poncho 7.2oz) 7.2oz
    Rain Pants Marmot Precip full zip XL 13 oz(drop these and order a pair of cabela's pack away rain pants there only 6oz and work great and only cost $20 ...and will last longer then the driducks pants ) 6oz
    Long Sleeve Shirt 3/4 zip starter brand Poly Pro 8 oz(if your taking a base layer and down coat and all the other gear you really don't need another shirt) -8oz
    Base layer silk top and bottoms 3 3/4 oz
    Down Booties Goose feet large 900 fill 50% more 2 7/8 oz(again this is a winter item you don't need down booties for 3 season leave them at home )
    -2.5oz
    Pack Liner 2 mil Trash Compactor bag 3 3/8 oz

Total 67 oz my total is 37.1oz or 2lbs 5.1oz
    4 lbs

Miscellaneous

Poop Pack TP of roll , 1 oz hand sanitizer in mini cubin stuff sack 2 1/2 oz
    First aid Kit 5 1/2 oz(again ...you don't need a 6oz first aid kit this can be cut down to 3oz) 3oz
    Hygiene Kit 4 3/4 oz( ...this seems like alot you could probly cut this to 3oz as well ) 3oz
    Tea Candle Lantern with stuff sack and 6 spare candles 7 oz( don't take so many extra candls and your fine 1 for every 2 days so lets say 3 only)4.5oz
    Petzl Tikka Headlamp with 3 AAA batteries 3 oz(swap this out for a Petzl E-Lite ...if your not going to be doing night hiking there is no need for a big head lamp) 1oz
    Compass Suunto with 1/2 pencil , note pad and whistle 5 1/2 oz(get a small button compass you hike on marked trails so there is no need for a big compass )2.5oz
    Ditty Bag 3 oz
    Ground Cloth 4X9 Tyvek 7 oz(again cut this down to 3x3 you only need it to put your pack on or step on to get out of your hammock ) 3oz
    Camera Case, Spare battery, Spare SD card , Stick Pick 7 7/8 oz
    Tripod lightweight 48 " telescopic 14 oz(get one of those small tripods that weight 3ox i have one there nice...i'm sure you can figure out a way to shoot your videos with one ) 3oz

Total 59 oz.... my total is 33.2oz or 2lbs 1.2oz
    3.5 lbs

Grand Totals Minus 2 liters water and food 333 oz
    21 lbs

so my grand total is 207.8oz or 12lbs 15.8oz
    and thats with only needing to spend $100 to swap out a few things...i could cut another 2lbs off this list easy but i figured i would be gentle LOL

i see alot of extras in your list...alot of stuff you really don't need
    you can always find items that will do more then one job that is Key to dropping pack weight ...less is more
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Wraith UL, XLC ,Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WB BMJ & Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow,TeWa,GoLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    I agree a lot with what Mugs said.... Except the under quilt comment. You'll need to pry my UQ from my kung fu grip (and my kung fu is strong).

If you wear shorts while hiking... Go rain kilt and save 10oz.

Tarp is one of your big weights... Look to lighten to something in the OES Deluxe size and save 12oz

Tripod... Your call depending on what u are trying to accomplish in the piney woods.

Rain jacket is also heavy... Look for items in the 6-10oz range. Triptease and I have the AGG rain jacket which is really light BUT no vents... Still testing I'm not in a position to say yay or nay.

I recently made the switch to cuben fiber dry bags and abandoned the pack liner method. Also, check out oven bags as bag liners less than an ounce.
    Listen to the Water Monkey, he knows of what he speaks I would NEVER give up my UQ for a pad. I love my ULA rain skirt....uh, kilt.
    Rockhound: “Hey, Harry.”
    Harry: “Yeah, Rock?”
    Rockhound: “You know we're sitting on 4 million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon, and a thing that has two hundred and seventy thousand moving parts, built by the lowest bidder!”

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast