Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Hennessy Tarp Ripped in Wind

Hi All,

Yesterday I set up my Explorer UL with the SS. I wanted to test warmth; it was going to get into the 20's. It was windy, I was using the large 70D "HEX"-SHAPED PU-COATED POLYESTER RIPSTOP RAIN FLY(I think this is the model? It was originally a spare for my Son's Scout hammock, could be the NON-ASYM 70D POLYURETHANE RAIN FLY).

I put the fly up on a 550 cord line between the trees, and then hung the hammock underneath. After fiddling with the pad and getting things "just right". A gust of wind came and ripped the nylon loop out at one of the tie outs! The plastic clip and ring launched themselves (never to be found) and the fly was flapping around pretty crazily!!!! I took the whole setup down and aborted the test.

I ordered a "Speedy Stitch" and I'll have to dig up some nylon for the repair.

After a close inspection the rip occurred along a very densely stitched line. Could stitching the nylon loop weaken the nylon if it is stitched too "tightly" or too many "stitches per inch"?

Anyone have this happen??

What's the best method of repair?

Should I contact Hennessy Hammock, or do you think I shouldn't have put it up when it was windy?

I was bumming

My wife got a good laugh though, she thought I was nuts to go out in the first place, then got to chuckle because I was back in 20 minutes later with frozen hands, a balled up mass of nylon and a defeated look. She offered me a coffee and is convinced that I am a source of entertainment for her. She stills loves me though, She truley believes that our two kids and I are her "three boys".

Pic here:

Last edited by FeO2; 02-03-2008 at 09:59.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    [QUOTE=FeO2;48275]She truley believes that our two kids and I are her "three boys".
    QUOTE]

As it should be. The sneers, jokes, etc. that we have to endure (from our spouses, no less) is just a part of being on the cutting edge of new and different thinking. Sorry about your misadventure. You are probably right about the tight stitching weakening the fabric.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Images
    Sorry to hear about your tarp ripping.

Unless it was a real bad storm, I don't think it should have happened.

It is possible to weaken material by stitching too densely, particularly with bar tacks. You can sew a bar tack so tight that it perforates the fabric and you can pull off whatever you sewed on without much force at all. Don't ask how I know that.

It looks like it is pretty easy to fix, though. Just trim the ripped loop neatly, fold it over and sew it on with the end tucked under. Then, add a grosgrain or webbing tie-out. A lot of people seem to like the box-stitch with an X. I usually do a box with an X with bar tacks. Not too tight, though, I would never do that!

If you need grosgrain or webbing, let me know. I'd be happy to send you a piece big enough for the repair.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    Sorry to hear about your tarp ripping.

Unless it was a real bad storm, I don't think it should have happened.

It is possible to weaken material by stitching too densely, particularly with bar tacks. You can sew a bar tack so tight that it perforates the fabric and you can pull off whatever you sewed on without much force at all. Don't ask how I know that.

It looks like it is pretty easy to fix, though. Just trim the ripped loop neatly, fold it over and sew it on with the end tucked under. Then, add a grosgrain or webbing tie-out. A lot of people seem to like the box-stitch with an X. I usually do a box with an X with bar tacks. Not too tight, though, I would never do that!

If you need grosgrain or webbing, let me know. I'd be happy to send you a piece big enough for the repair.
    Schneiderlein,

Do you think the "Speedy Stitcher" will work for this? I don't have a sewing machine and havent really tried to use one.

Images
    Are you talking about http://www.speedystitcher.com?

I would be concerned about the size of the holes, and the amount of time it would take.

You could take the tarp and the new tie-out to an alterations place. Ask them to use 100% polyester thread, or take the thread with you. It should not take more than 10 minutes to fix it, probably closer to 5.

I'd be happy to fix it for you, but shipping back and forth would probably cost more than a local place would charge you.

Images
    Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Images
    I get the same looks when I sat up in freezing weather from my roommate. When they ask you why, just ask them would you rather figure out the limits and how to use it in the field or in the backyard?

I would call hh if I were you. That sounds like a construction issue. The only other thing would be you cranked down on the tie-outs too much.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Call HH - I'm sure they'll replace it for free. Probably even send you a free t-shirt. If you do something else to it, you'll void the warranty and he may not replace it for free.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I have had fantastic customer service from Hennessy. I would recommend calling and asking them.

FreeTheWeasel

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    It's interesting that the military SPECIFY and gage things like 'threads per inch' in all the gear they buy. Yes, a needle can cut the material if you go over it too many time. There is an optimum between thread sheer strength and failure of the material sewed.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast