Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear DCF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings

Hello from Southern Indiana

Hello, I am just getting back into backpacking and have become curious about hammocks. I saw some of the Shug clips and think I am hooked! I just recently ordered a tarp with plans to ditch the tent, but I also feel that I need a hammock as well to get up off the ground. I am trying to go lightweight and need some suggestions for comfortable hammocks and whatever accessories I will need to go along with it.

Hammock
    DIY Warbird
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    15* down bag & pad
    Suspension
    whoopies
    welcome to the forum farmer.ron! just one dose of shug is usually all it takes to become a hammocking fiend! keep watching his videos; they are quite informative and it helps to chuckle (or laugh hysterically in my case) when you are overwhelmed with all the wonderful information found here.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    If you have access to a sewing machine, I say just make one yourself. It's pretty easy and much cheaper. Plus, you get the satisfaction of saying you made it yourself. Welcome to HF!

Fronkey

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    welcome to the forum. if you give a bit more detail on your idea of light weight , and what time of yr and temps you expect to be out in that will help folks give better responses. Generally people start with three season setups.
    Hammocks. There's a few to chose from. Warbonnet, Hennessey, Clark, Bridge.
    You'll need to insulate yourself from the cold underneath the hammock. You could get away with one or two CCF pads under you and an old sleeping bag opened on top of you . Most folks end up going to a down underquilt for ease and warmth.
    You'll need a good tarp over top of you.
    Have a look at the Warbonnet Outdoor site, the video's ,to see underquilt and tarp setup. Also go to the video area on this site and look up Linville Gorge . As i recall there was allot of pics of different setups. Also i would highly recommend going to Just Jeff's " To the woods" website as it explains allot to the new Folks. There's also Shugs ten part series for new folks if you missed it.
    When hammock camping you basically need the hammock, the tarp, something to keep you warm underneath and on top. It will take you a while to figure it all out so don't be in a rush ,,its a fun new adventure.
    Myself i have a Warbonnet Blackbird hammock, a Yeti underquilt, a Hudson River top Quilt and an OES deluxe sil tarp and am real happy with the set up but like i said there are many ways to get happy. Good luck on your search.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    Go to JoAnns and purchase some ripstop using a coupon and sew up the edges and there you go. You can order the fabric from one of the cottage guys if you prefer. The rest you can get from any number of the cottage guys. It's real easy.

Welcome to the Forum. If you haven't read, there is a Hoosier Hang happening tax weekend in April. The hiking isn't long and it's pretty easy. You don't need hammock gear to come and you can learn a lot. A lot of the members will let you lay in their hammocks and check out their gear - it's a big 3rd grad show-and-tell. You can find the thread in the Trips section.
    I like big hammocks - I cannot like.

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images

welcome

Welcome to the forums. As to your question I would recommend a Grand Trunk ultralight. Try it out for a couple nights in your backyard and see if you are comfortable sleeping in a hammock. There are more comfortable hammocks out there but this is the cheapest one. The ultralight is less than 20 bucks and it is a good hammock. When you upgrade later it is a good hammock to have around if want to shed some weight off your pack. The thing about hammocks is in the beginning you always need/want something else and most of it is stuff you can't try before you buy. Try to diy as much stuff as you can. This way you can figure out what you actually need. Old sleeping bag=underquilt. Do you want 2/3s, 3/4s, full length, 40" wide, 72" wide? You will need some form of bottom insulation. You can try a pad, but most people go with an underquilt. Personally I wouldn't diy a hammock I would just buy the one above. That is unless you can find the elusive Walmart $1 Ripstop nylon. I live in Indy and have been to 8 different Walmarts and haven't found it anywhere. Hope to see you at the Hoosier Hang.
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

Insulation
    warm stuff
    Welcome and good luck with your endeavors.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once. Jennifer Unlimited
    Health food may be good for the conscience, but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better. -- Robert Redford

http://daydreamingmisadventurer.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    welcome farmer.ron.99 and hey from high point nc.
    there is a ton of stuff here to read, learn and ask about.
    if it's hammock related it's here or still waiting to be invented.
    hang on and have fun.

home is where your hammock is.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear DCF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Thanks for all the help and info, I will look into the Hosier Hang not sure if the schedule is free.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A Big Southern Indiana Whoooooo Buddy to you!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast