Thread: Questions

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL, DIY 1.1
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling

Questions

I just this last week ordered the WBBB 1.1 dbl layer and wondering what quilts you folks like most. I would think I would like the full length under quilt but not sure. As for the top quilt I was going to use my down sleeping bag for a while but now I'm not sure. I am going on a 10 day trip and don't know if the pack size will be that much smaller with a dedicated top quilt. Any insight you can give is very much appreciated. I also ordered the Big Mamajamba tarp. What is the difference in that and the Superfly? They seem to be the same dimensions. I am excited to get this setup and try it out before my 10 day trip so I can get used to this type camping. This is my first hammock.
    Looking forward to getting started. It's been a long time since I've been camping.

Thanks
    Cecilg

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The Warbonnet Yeti underquilts obviously work great with the Blackbird. Also can't go wrong with the Hammock Gear underquilts.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecilg View Post
    I just this last week ordered the WBBB 1.1 dbl layer and wondering what quilts you folks like most. I would think I would like the full length under quilt but not sure. As for the top quilt I was going to use my down sleeping bag for a while but now I'm not sure. I am going on a 10 day trip and don't know if the pack size will be that much smaller with a dedicated top quilt. Any insight you can give is very much appreciated. I also ordered the Big Mamajamba tarp. What is the difference in that and the Superfly? They seem to be the same dimensions. I am excited to get this setup and try it out before my 10 day trip so I can get used to this type camping. This is my first hammock.
    Looking forward to getting started. It's been a long time since I've been camping.
    Stick with your bag as a top quilt for a couple of trips. It will work fine, and you'll have a better idea of what size top quilt you might like after hammocking for a while.

The BMJ and the Superfly are the same dimensions, but the Superfly has doors sewn on, whereas a removable door kit is available for the BMJ. You made the right choice, though. The BMJ is a large tarp that has lots of coverage. You would only miss the doors in deep cold winter conditions.

As for underquilts, there are a lot of great options. I prefer partial underquilts (WB Yeti, Te-Wa's, Hammock Gear, etc). But if you think you want a full quilt, an option to look hard at is the JRB MW3C, which converts from full to partial by taking the bottom portion off.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

I think it depends on the individual, some like there pack as light as possible so use the minimum. Use your down bag and see if it is good for you. The mambajamba does not have doors VS superfly with doors. You can get the removable doors for the BMJ.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL, DIY 1.1
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Thanks guys for the help. I think I will use the bag to start but it does seem big. I'm getting more excited every day waiting on this to get here. This is going to be a great year for the trips I plan. My main one being the BWCA for ten days. I'm pumped!
    Thanks again,
    Cecilg

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have Hammock Gear quilts. I like the fact that the owners are hands on and don't farm the work out. Adam is very accommodating and will take the time to talk to you on the phone to help you decide what type of quilt you need. Not to mention the quality of his quilts are second to none and 900 fill is standard. Don't forget to take a look at Arrowhead Equipment quilts too.
    Last edited by whayneneal; 03-28-2011 at 07:00.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    The quality of his tarps? The sentence.."Not to mention the quality of his tarps are second to none and 900 fill is standard" confuses me. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just confused. Did you mean to say TQ's or do you know something that I don't? Or maybe you confused Hammock Gear with Warbonnet?

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

My apologies

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    The quality of his tarps? The sentence.."Not to mention the quality of his tarps are second to none and 900 fill is standard" confuses me. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just confused. Did you mean to say TQ's or do you know something that I don't? Or maybe you confused Hammock Gear with Warbonnet?
    I'm sorry. I meant quilts. I'm really sick right now and my brain is not working at full capacity. On top of that I was suppose to leave on a backpacking trip yesterday that I had been planning for a month. Bummer.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Oh, no worries. Just wanted make sure Stormcrow isn't making tarps behind our backs! Sorry to hear you missed your backpacking trip, hope you feel better!

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks. Not missed, just delayed. I have 10 days off work. I hope to leave tomorrow or Wednesday depending on how I feel. Something tells me that if Adam was to make a tarp it would be extraordinary.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast