Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs

Definitive WB comparison

I have read as many of the posts in the posts as my eyes can take, and I still can't figure out some of the differences between the different types of Blackbirds. I wonder if someone more knowledgeable can lay them out in one spot. From my hunting through the posts, I noticed there was a lot of helpful suggestions to various posters about which would best suit them, but not a lot of information as to why. I am about 5'11, 175. According to the charts, there are several that might suit my needs, but I can't tell the differences between them. I guess I am not looking so much for a suggestion for me(although I will take it if you want to offer one), but more for an discussion of the various traits of the choices. I am kind of a "why" guy. For example, I have figured out that if you don't weigh much, the 1.7 is "overkill", but I don't know what that means. Any thoughts? Are these different fabric weights and if so, what difference does that make in terms of comfort, lay, mosquito proofing, etc.. Thanks.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Yes, the numbers are fabric weights.

1.1 is 1.1oz/yd2, 1.7 is 1.7oz/yd2 The heavier the fabric, the less it stretches for a given occupant weight, and the flatter it will be.

DL means double layer. More layers of fabric together is stronger, giving less stretch and accommodating higher occupant weights. As a benefit, a CCF pad could be placed between the layers if you wanted.

Basically, unless you are trying to save the most gear weight for backpacking purposes or want to use a pad, choose your BB based entirely on the occupant weight rating. At your range, unless you want to use a pad I'd go with either a single 1.1 or single 1.7, for simplicity sake.

Mosquito bite-through isn't much of an issue with either 1.7 or any of the double layers. You can always treat it with Permethrin to dicourage that anyway.

If you have more specific questions, we're happy to answer.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Thanks for your quick response. This forum is amazing. I guess I was wondering if you (all) could break down the different choices in more of a compare and contrast way. Maybe this could be a help to people other than myself who are interested in these hammocks. For example, the weight charts on the site often recommend a couple of choices for someone, but doesn't help much with choosing between the two. If someone weighing 130 wants a 1.7 double, I have seen that referred to as "overkill". Why? Will it be not as comfortable? Will they not be able to lift it up to the trees with their puny arms?. Conversely, will a 240lb person rip right through a 1.1 single like tissue paper?

I am personally interested in the double layer, since I haven't taken the underquilt plunge. (yet). Why would someone my size want the 1.1, since it is heavier and more expensive than the 1.0?

I have seen some discussion of increased leg ridge pressure with some people that have picked one type, but it went away when they switched to another. Why?

I may be over thinking this, (I usually do), but there a a million postings from potential buyers asking advice and maybe we can put together a post that will answer many of their (and my) questions in one place. If this is a ridiculous topic, just let me know. I won't get hurt feelings. Thanks.
    Sorry for all the questions.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL
    Tarp
    Hammockgear Cuben
    Insulation
    UKhammocks UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Webbing
    Images
    I think the info your searching for is on Warbonnets homepage:
    http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/hammocking101.php
    No longer with a great "Yukon Yak Fever"

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

My pictures:My Picasa-album

My paracord-webshop:Webshop
    Sorry dudes, only in Swedish (so far).

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    "Overkill" is used simply because many use their gear where weight is an issue and if you could have something do the same thing but be lighter in weight, then that would be preferable.
    A heavier person would not necessarily rip thorough the lighter material but the material will stretch more and not feel as flat.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts