Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Half-Bag / Insulated Pants

Remember the Shameless Plug thread where we talked about wearing the Nest as pants? I prototyped some pants almost like the ones Bill posted on backpackinglight.com.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHalfBagPants.html

Not sure if it's worth making them or not. What do y'all think?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    looks great jeff. it`ll be interresting to see how these type things do weigh out when there`s been time to test them & concider the pros & cons.
    a thought on the shortness when used as a half bag... mabey the waist could be made 8-10" longer, then when worn in the pants mode, the additional length would be folded down & over the hips.???
    that should work as long as the waist had elastic, or something to hold it snug around the waist.

if you remember the pictures i posted in the home made gear gallery of the wearable quilt mock-up, i made one w/ synthitic insulation. i just need to put omni tape on the edges so it can be closed when worn.
    i`m really pleased w/ it. it`s heavy, but then it`s a 1st attempt & there`s lots of room for improvement.
    as soon as i get the omni tape on, i`ll take pictures.
    keep the wheels turning! ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    JJ,

Nice job....

Agree with Tim ... the waist needs to be 6-10 inches taller to take up for the lost length forming the footbox...Pehaps even more, if planned for a half bag use under a jacket, as a waist line / small of the back underlap air leak would be an issue.

What does the shell weigh before insulating ? Is it baffled? How high? Can't recognize any baffling in the picture.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This is just 1.9 oz nylon, not even ripstop and not suitable for putting down inside. I don't think I'd baffle the first real prototype...just sew-through to keep it easy. The FF Helios is sew-through, but FF also makes a baffled one.

Of course, I have a bunch of extra PrimaLoft around here...it would be pretty easy to make a synthetic pair. Then I wouldn't even need to sew-through.

Wanna hear something funny? Last night I had a dream that I accidentally wore this thing to school. Good times.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    This is just 1.9 oz nylon, not even ripstop and not suitable for putting down inside. I don't think I'd baffle the first real prototype...just sew-through to keep it easy. The FF Helios is sew-through, but FF also makes a baffled one.

Of course, I have a bunch of extra PrimaLoft around here...it would be pretty easy to make a synthetic pair. Then I wouldn't even need to sew-through.

Wanna hear something funny? Last night I had a dream that I accidentally wore this thing to school. Good times.
    You would get the monthly fashion award for that....

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah, unless someone else wore the NS/Nest...then I'd take second.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Fashion award is an Air force thing.... Soldiers take any warm answer.... and any shade of green is a plus.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    greenish grey
    Insulation
    greyish green
    Suspension
    Trees, duh.
    Images
    Remember the Shameless Plug thread where we talked about wearing the Nest as pants? I prototyped some pants almost like the ones Bill posted on backpackinglight.com.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHalfBagPants.html

Not sure if it's worth making them or not. What do y'all think?
    Very 1988. Are parachute pants making a comeback? It's Hammer time!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

LOL... wore them to school... we can see what`s on your mind as you doze off to sleep<G>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seuss View Post
    Very 1988. Are parachute pants making a comeback? It's Hammer time!
    You like those, huh? Didn't realize Hammer was a hiker disguised as bling. Maybe I could use olive drab in the next prototype so I could win the Army fashion awards, too...

I could work on the sizing a little bit, but they have to be baggy enough for me to move around in when it's a half-bag. Guess the bagginess cuts down on the efficiency, though.

• + New Posts