DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies

2/3 or full ???????????

Hello all, I'm just learning so please work with me. What is the difference between the 2/3 and full length UQ? I know length, I talking performance. I'm 6'1" does hight have anything to do with which size to buy. I like lighter vs. heavy but want to be comfy at the same time. With the 2/3 size is there an art to keeping everything warm head too toe? I just ordered a WBBB and waiting for it. I'm now looking for a UQ but I'm clueless. Any help with the questions above or any other advice would be awesome. Thanks

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Along with Brandon's hammocks, he also sells UQs. I don't own his UQ but I did see the craftsmanship on his hammocks and you couldn't go wrong with his or any of the cottage guys here. With a 2/3 UQ people use a CCF pad under their feet. I tried this setup when someone allowed me to try their WBBB at a group hang and it worked very well. I own a Te-Wa UQ and I continue to be amazed at how light it is and how warm it keeps me. Lots of info on here about UQs but it all comes down to your preference. Are you a warm sleeper and therefore don't require a full length? Just my $0.2.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    2/3 UQ with torso sized pad for lower legs is a good combo for the hiker. It reduces bulk and provides a safety net for goiing to ground with the pad.

Car camping and short hikes full length would always be my first choice.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    You don't have to fiddle as much with a full length. The ease of use is a plus. The shorter ones (2/3 or 3/4) if it get's cold enough, you will need to use some kind of pad under your feet. Which can be a pain sometimes.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I did some number crunching cause that’s what I do to see the real difference in weights between 2/3, ¾ with pads and the full length. All pads will be a Gossamer Gear Thinlight Pad 1/8” as I’ve tested this pad for the feet down to 30*F with my 3 season yeti underquilt with GREAT results:
    NOTE: All weights come from Manufacturer’s Websites
    2/3 3 season Yeti : 12.5oz
    Pad Cut Down: Approx 2 oz
    Total 2/3 Weight = 14.5 oz

3/4 3 season Phoenix: 15.7oz
    Pad Cut Down: Approx 1.5oz (less of a pad)
    Total ¾ Weight = 17.2oz

3 season Burrow: 22.5oz
    Mt Washington 3 : 22oz
    Average Full Length = 22.25

Total savings from 2/3 to Full Length = 7.75oz or 0.48lbs
    Total savings from 3/4 to Full Length = 5.05oz or 0.32lbs
    The numbers don’t lie and the pad has been tested by me personally using a 3 season Yeti April 2010 on my 3 day shakedown with The Captain.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I don't like carrying a large piece of ccf for a footpad because I don't have a pack that accepts it for a back panel and find it cumbersome to try to find a spot to pack it.

I use a Thermarest seat in the footbox of my TQ down to the 30's with a 2/3 UQ. Anything colder and I run into a problem with getting a bit cold where my UQ ends and the seat begins (I'm 6'3'' so this may be different for us taller guys, I have a friend that can curl up and be totally enclosed by a 2/3 UQ, so he is fine with this setup in all seasons).

I use a full length UQ anything colder than 40* and still bring the seat for use as a seat and still throw it in my footbox for good measure. I feel that the extra ozs for full coverage and not having to mess with a large piece of ccf is worth the trade off for me.

Long story short, you need a piece of ccf with your 2/3 UQ or a full length UQ below 40* either way you will be toasty warm it's a matter of preference.

HYOH as usual.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I am a 3/4 fan myself. I figure I have to (or choose to) carry a sit pad/foot pad and pack frame/emergency go to ground pad any ways so I might as well use the pad for as many functions as possible right now it has 4 where as a full UQ would only serve as one. I have not used a 2/3 but being 6' and broad shoulder I wanted something with a bit more coverage then a 2/3 had to offer. If you want UL then I say go for the the yeti, if you looking for more comfort but still looking to save weight then try out a the 3/4 if you going for maximum comfort then a full length may suite you best. I found that the 3/4 was a nice compromise right in the middle, at least for me it was.
    HYOH
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl
    Tarp
    MLD Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I tried the 2/3 plus pad thing, and it works, but...

Once I tried the full length Incubator, I'm a convert! Very warm and cozy, no fussing once set up (pads tend to shift unless between the layers of a double hammock). On top of that, I've never been a "sit pad" hiker, so had no real use for the pad apart from hammock insulation.

I just used my 3/4 3S Phoenix for the first time this weekend in conjunction with a 3/4 ridgerest that i already had. Nights went down into the upper 20's/lower 30's. There was some overlap so my butt had the benefit of double insulation and it took the 2nd night to realize how to really adjust the bungees, but I actually ended up being a shade hot. I probably overcompensated for the first night with an extra layer, so you can definitely get way with less than a full UQ. I'm also in the camp of having a pad regardless of quilt size for 'just in case.'

For my first UQ experience, I will say it was definitely more comfy and easier than a full pad.

Hammock
    DIY 1.5S
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamba
    Insulation
    EE Revel., HG Inc.
    Suspension
    Hoverboard System
    Images
    I'm going through the same decision process right now as well. I like to backpack so weight is a consideration, but then I also usually have cold feet (poor circulation). I'm also shorter than you at 5'5", so I'll get more coverage out of a 3/4 UQ.

I didn't think I was going to at first, but I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a full length UQ. from Leigh. It's only 20 oz. (no way to really know until you have it though) compared to Stormcrow's 3 season 3/4 UQ (15.7 oz.) + pad (around 2 oz.). So, not a huge difference in weight for a full UQ, even for a gram weenie like myself. I think you can't go wrong either way. It doesn't sound like people have problems with comfort when using a 3/4 UQ + pad set up, and that's probably what I would do if Leigh's full length UQ wasn't so inexpensive.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast