Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by invisiblejules View Post
    Finally treated 2 Grand Trunk Ultralight hammocks with Permethrin SFR 36.8% (2oz in 70oz of water for close to the 0.5% permethrin in Sawyer's products) last night by soaking it. They dried fine and I don't see any problems.
    I did learn that spraying is better for cotton or cotton/synthetic blend fabrics because they soak up far more permethrin than 100% synthetics and then drip a lot more, wasting a lot of the permethrin mixture and taking longer to dry.
    Hope this is useful!
    This is a good point...I am going to soak my BB in a bath of permethrin today. Based on your comments, after the soaking the hammock, I will transfer the remaining solution over to a pump sprayer to spray my cotton shirts and shorts to minimize waste. Thanks for the info.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    So in regards to soaking vs spraying, which gear is safe to soak? I'm thinking all straps and line, hammock, tarp, and pack are safe to soak. I have a friend that left her sleeping bag with me since I have the permethrin. Would it be safe for TQ/UQ/Sleeping bags to be sprayed?

Also, after it's dried, is it safe for dogs? She also left a dog pack and it would be nice to help our furry friend avoid the bugs, but we want to make sure not to irritate his skin after a long hike.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Comet_Seeker View Post
    So in regards to soaking vs spraying, which gear is safe to soak? I'm thinking all straps and line, hammock, tarp, and pack are safe to soak. I have a friend that left her sleeping bag with me since I have the permethrin. Would it be safe for TQ/UQ/Sleeping bags to be sprayed?

Also, after it's dried, is it safe for dogs? She also left a dog pack and it would be nice to help our furry friend avoid the bugs, but we want to make sure not to irritate his skin after a long hike.
    After dry it is safe for dogs. You're good there.

I personally would not spray quilts or sleeping bags. Honestly, what would be the point? If you're spraying or soaking your hammock or bug net, there's little reason to treat your quilts.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I wouldn't treat the tarp, lines, or straps. I've heard that some of the permethrins have solvents that can degrade the sil. I usually just treat hammock, bug net and cloths. You could spray quilts if you want but that seems like over kill to me. Permethrin is safe for dogs, just not cats when it's wet.

See post number 1 and 45 in this thread http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=permethrin this is the thread that I linked earlier that I started on the Permethrin subject!
    Hope this helps??
    When I click on the thread I get a message stating that I "do not have permission to access this page." Can anyone else access it? If so, could you please copy and paste posts numbered 1 and 45 here? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnclmbr View Post
    When I click on the thread I get a message stating that I "do not have permission to access this page." Can anyone else access it? If so, could you please copy and paste posts numbered 1 and 45 here? Thanks!
    it is in the donating members off topic section. You need to be a member..cost= $ 10.00
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Thanks! That explains why the link doesn't work. Can anyone here recommend a brand of concentrated permethrin that they are comfortable diluting to .5% and spraying on their hammocks?

I'm thinking of just getting this 36% solution and diluting it to .5% as needed. Seems more economical than buying the spray bottles.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1L0J6J9ZYHA6P

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I've never done dilution and never done soaking. What I use is Bonide Bedbug Killer. It's 0.5% and doesn't have any stuff in it that I would be worried about getting on my gear. I think I paid about $7 for a qt spray bottle. You can find local dealers on their site here. Dilution looks cheaper though.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnclmbr View Post
    Thanks! That explains why the link doesn't work. Can anyone here recommend a brand of concentrated permethrin that they are comfortable diluting to .5% and spraying on their hammocks?

I'm thinking of just getting this 36% solution and diluting it to .5% as needed. Seems more economical than buying the spray bottles.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1L0J6J9ZYHA6P
    I don't think you want to get this one. This is permethrin SFR, which I believe is different than normal Permethrin.

If you're going to get one to dilute, you want something that is in an aqueous solution, not a petroleum solution. The Martin's Permethrin 10 is water based. Not sure about many others. Pretty sure the 36% SFR is petroleum base.

Thanks! I looked up the MSDS of the one I'd posted and, yes, you're absolutely correct--it's a bad choice because of the petroleum solution. The MSDS for the Martin's Permethrin 10 looks much better and that's what I'm going to get.

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast