Hammock
    MIYANC CUSTOM
    Tarp
    YUKON DIAMOND
    Insulation
    SWEET BABY LOVIN
    Suspension
    MIYANC DIY CUSTOM
    many of the consentrated formulas have petrolium distolates. They smell, but will not have ill effect on your gear. You will want to air dry the soaked items for a couple days, then they will be fine. I would not soak your bags/quilts, really no need to. But i would do straps, tarps, hammocks, clothes, bags, packs, etc.

Great information on this thread from 2011. Usually I just buy the prefab bottle from wally-world, but this year, I ended up at my local Tractor Supply Company and picked up a 10% concentrate for about $6 to mix my own.

Hammock
    Homemade 10.5ft 1.1 OSY Nylon DL
    Tarp
    PE Drop Cloth
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies, no HW
    I treated my gear for a weekend trip a few weeks ago. I really wish I'd bought the 10% instead of the stronger stuff with petroleum distillate, because it really does stink. I didn't know any better when I bought it. But, it worked really well! No issues with bugs at all in SE OK in warm weather!

I'm glad I saw this thread though, because I haven't treated any hammocks yet. I was wondering if it'd be okay, since they're weight bearing and have to stay strong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AtHomeDad View Post
    Did the hammock with Sawyer, and the results were great. Could hear the mosquitoes buzzing outside the bug net. Then it would stop. Sounded like I turned my whole hammock into a bug zapper.

Did my clothes as well, in a Lyme endemic area camping, no ticks and no bug bites of any type.
    2019 bump.
    I would say even 10% petroleum distillate is pretty smelly. I've been reading this thread as well as EPA articles http://npic.orst.edu/pest/mosquito/ptc.html I've been experimenting with permethrin as well but it makes me itchy. Can't I just install anything like this near my hammock? It is said it works outside pretty well. What do you think?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NStanley View Post
    2019 bump.
    I would say even 10% petroleum distillate is pretty smelly. I've been reading this thread as well as EPA articles http://npic.orst.edu/pest/mosquito/ptc.html I've been experimenting with permethrin as well but it makes me itchy. Can't I just install anything like this near my hammock? It is said it works outside pretty well. What do you think?
    The Martin's 10% concentrate I used leaves crystals all over after drying. I wonder if that got inside your clothing, causing an itch?

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Operator, Habanero
    Suspension
    Turtles, Whoopies
    Hey all,

I know it has been discussed to death on here in many forums, but just wanted to clarify exactly what the ideal product is to do the permethrin "dunk and soak method" for hammocks, clothes and tents.

Am I right in my understanding that the Martin's Permethrin 10% solution it best option for this as it's water based and doesn't contain petroleum distallates? Is this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Martin-s-...-32oz/26961590 the product I should be looking for? I saw that Gordon's and some other Martin's products are clearly labeled as containing petroleum distallates...this one isn't so I believe this is what I want correct? If not, what is the exact product I want? Are there any other options which don't contain petroleum distallates?

Thanks for taking the time to answer this!

Hammock
    WBBB / Chameleon
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    SLD TW / CRO UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    Hi grimm0614,

I bought the exact same thing from Amazon. Mixed it up as directed and used a sprayer to apply. I let it dry outside for two days before I brought it in. The smell was pretty bad and after a couple more days I had to run everything through the washer twice in order to finally get it out. The smell got me to coughing.
    It doesn't say anything about petroleum distallates, but it doesn't mention clothing, either. Just livestock.
    I then got the Sawyer pre-mix and used that with no problemI'm gonna stick with the Sawyer from now on. This product didn't work for me.
    Last edited by villagelock; 07-09-2020 at 16:22. Reason: Clarity

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    I have used both the Sawyer and Martin's. Sawyer has worked well, but I have a lot of stuff to treat so the Martins ends up being 10x cheaper (or more). I did not notice a strong odor after 1 day drying in front of a fan even mixing it to .6%, but i am not terribly sensitive to most solvent smells. I've been hiking with the Martin's treated clothing a couple times now and have come back itchy, but now its due to stickers not bugs, so I think it works well. No crystals noticed on my stuff. I mixed to .6% and sprayed on a heavy coating (enough to fully wet out the fabric) with an empty Sawyer spray bottle

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I got my new bottle of Martin's. I threw the old one out because I was tired of that separation issue. Keeping the new one indoors this time since I can only guess the temp swing was the cause.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I use JT Eaton's that I get by the gallon from Amazon.It comes with a sprayer but I prefer to pour it into one of those good spray bottles you get from Ace Hardware to regulate my spray better and its just more handy and does not drip.

Anyway,I spread my clothes on cardboard on the floor of the garage and mist them down til they are wet.Hang them on something to dry out.Eaton's is labeled for treating CLOTHING,bedding,luggage etc.Results have been excellent.I wore my treated clothes on a trip to the Ocmulgee River last weekend and we did some serious bushwhacking part of the way-No Problem.

Even though it was hot I wore waterproof knee high socks,long pants,and gaiters.They would have had to penetrate three layers of clothing to get on my legs.Short sleeve shirt treated and a treated hat.My hiking partners were wearing shorts and I think they all got a tick or two but I escaped unscathed.Additionally,I take B complex vitamins,apple cider vinegar capsules,and garlic everyday-did not hear any mosquitoes in the Ocmulgee River Swamp July 3rd 2020.This is Central Georgia in summer btw.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast