Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Just means I can't by a extra stove, or bug net, or hammock, holy &#%^ I can't buy any new gear as the extra went to the treatments, what the????? awe man, that stinks!!
    just use your REI dividend (if you have one) and it is free
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    The military one (that sawyer got the idea from) is not fully water diluted, it has petroleum products and some other stuff too, don't have access to it now (I'm out now) to see what exactly it was though, maybe one of the guys thats still in can try and check.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 10f
    Suspension
    straps
    Images
    I have several packets of the issued uniform treatment kits at the house, I'll check out the ingredients.

I'm not sure of any petroleum products in the issued kits, as I soaked some nylon items in those kits with no damage.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    According to Sawyer, "Yes", the inert ingredient is water!

This is why they (Sawyer) say it is safe to apply on clothing that will come in contact with your body and why it is safe to apply to poly/nylon products as the product is water based, with such low concentrations of extra ingredients (including Permethrin) that any damage or side effect is very, very limited, to "almost" non-existent! Now mind you I said "almost", as nothing is ever guaranteed, but the report of incident's from Sawyer brand use so low that they can make these claims, and still be a registered product for treatment of outdoor clothing/products!
    I've been using the Sawyer due to this concern... I rashed up my legs applying as directed with the Sawyer, and washed the pants a couple times more - rashing stopped.

I have Dirty Girl gaiters - very light and breathable, very easy to forget I'm wearing them. I treat the pant legs from the knee down, let it dry, wash 'em out in water, treat the DG gaiters and dry, no rashes so far... knock on wood. And no ticks, or junk in my shoes.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Went out at lunch to my local Rural King store to pickup some PBI Gordon Permethrin-10. They didn't have any. Instead, in it's place I found this product. It cost me $6.99 for 8 oz.

Here's a shot of the label.

Brand name is Martin's and it is produced by Control Solutions Inc.
    Here is the link to the MSDS sheet. http://www.controlsolutionsinc.com/d...%201-28-09.pdf
    Here is a link to the Product Directions. http://www.controlsolutionsinc.com/d...%206-26-08.pdf

As you can see this particular product contains 2 things:
    10% Permethrin
    90% Inert Ingredients

In addition to it's agricultural uses, it is approved for indoor use in the following locations (HOMES, AND THE NONFOOD/FEED AREAS OF BAKERIES, BEVERAGE PLANTS, CANNERIES, FLOUR MILLS, FOOD PROCESSING PLANTS, GRAIN ELEVATORS, GRAINARIES, HOSPITALS (non-occupied areas), HOTELS, MOTELS, INDUSTRIAL INSTALLATIONS, KENNELS, MEAT PACKING PLANTS, OFFICE BUILDINGS, RAILROAD CARS, RESTAURANTS, SCHOOLS, SHIPSHOLDS, SUPERMARKETS, TRUCK TRAILERS, WAREHOUSES.)

I called Control Solutions Inc. and ask about it's suitability in treating clothing. The lady told me that they recieve alot of calls asking this same question. She went further to say that it is against the law to use their product on clothing, since it's not labled for such an application.

So there you have it. The final word.
    Please DO NOT USE this or any product other than Sawyer's to treat your gear.

Gee now... Wonder what I'll do with this new unopened bottle of 10% Permethrin?

Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    I've been using the Sawyer due to this concern... I rashed up my legs applying as directed with the Sawyer, and washed the pants a couple times more - rashing stopped.

I have Dirty Girl gaiters - very light and breathable, very easy to forget I'm wearing them. I treat the pant legs from the knee down, let it dry, wash 'em out in water, treat the DG gaiters and dry, no rashes so far... knock on wood. And no ticks, or junk in my shoes.
    Glad you found a way to get the rash to go away, as well as keep the treatment on!
    I just got me a pair of DG gaiters, they are awesome, got to treat them though, along with many other additions to the locker with the last of my Sawyers!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    just use your REI dividend (if you have one) and it is free

Already spent mine ! Bad part is, I don't remember what I got for myself, as I got a bunch of stuff for the kids! Oh well!!!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Went out at lunch to my local Rural King store to pickup some PBI Gordon Permethrin-10. They didn't have any. Instead, in it's place I found this product. It cost me $6.99 for 8 oz.

Here's a shot of the label.

Brand name is Martin's and it is produced by Control Solutions Inc.
    Here is the link to the MSDS sheet. http://www.controlsolutionsinc.com/d...%201-28-09.pdf
    Here is a link to the Product Directions. http://www.controlsolutionsinc.com/d...%206-26-08.pdf

As you can see this particular product contains 2 things:
    10% Permethrin
    90% Inert Ingredients

In addition to it's agricultural uses, it is approved for indoor use in the following locations (HOMES, AND THE NONFOOD/FEED AREAS OF BAKERIES, BEVERAGE PLANTS, CANNERIES, FLOUR MILLS, FOOD PROCESSING PLANTS, GRAIN ELEVATORS, GRAINARIES, HOSPITALS (non-occupied areas), HOTELS, MOTELS, INDUSTRIAL INSTALLATIONS, KENNELS, MEAT PACKING PLANTS, OFFICE BUILDINGS, RAILROAD CARS, RESTAURANTS, SCHOOLS, SHIPSHOLDS, SUPERMARKETS, TRUCK TRAILERS, WAREHOUSES.)

I called Control Solutions Inc. and ask about it's suitability in treating clothing. The lady told me that they recieve alot of calls asking this same question. She went further to say that it is against the law to use their product on clothing, since it's not labled for such an application.

So there you have it. The final word.
    Please DO NOT USE this or any product other than Sawyer's to treat your gear.

Gee now... Wonder what I'll do with this new unopened bottle of 10% Permethrin?

OK, 90% Perm and 10% INERT. Sounds good.

What does that tell us that is useful? ( it would be nice if inert meant water)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inert

Pesticides

The Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act divides the ingredients in pesticides into two groups: active and inert. An inert chemical, under this context, is one that does not have a toxic effect on the species the pesticide is meant to combat, but that does not rule out that it may still have a biological activity on other species, including being toxic to humans. Solvents, propellents, preservatives, among others, are thus considered inert ingredients in pesticides.[1]
    Since 1997, the United States Environmental Protection Agency has recommended that pesticide manufacturers label the non-active ingredients as "other ingredients" rather than "inert" to prevent misinformation to the public.[1]

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I just dipped a scrap of 1.9 rs in the Martin's 10% (undiluted)...it's out on the porch "drying" (we have 4 digit humidity today).

I'll never use this stuff on my clothing, but if the nylon holds up, I may treat my hammock with it.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    OK, 90% Perm and 10% INERT. Sounds good.
    "Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it." ~ Willy Wonka

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    What does that tell us that is useful?
    Tells us that there are no Petroleum Distillates in the Martin's product.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast