HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    CAUTION Harmful if swallowed. Keep out of reach of children. Avoid breathing
    spray mist. Avoid skin and eye contact. Wash thoroughly after handling and
    before eating and smoking. Do not allow children or pets to contact treated surfaces
    until spray has dried. Do not allow spray to contact food, feedstuffs or water
    supplies. Thoroughly wash dishes and food handling utensils contaminated with
    this product. Remove pets and cover fish bowls before spraying.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest Pad
    Suspension
    Wratchet Straps

finding it

Quote Originally Posted by Danalex View Post
    Now how do I find it in Canada?
    TSC stores: 950ml $21

contains 0.5% Permethrin
    UltraShield EX Fly Spray

Wilson Home Pest Control Spray ( $10 for a liter spray bottle) most of the popular hardware stores list it for sale. Permethrin 0.25%.

-Canadian Tire Website

Home Hardware Website

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    So I bought a jug on Amazon of 37% and watered it down to .5% like Sayers,and soaked a couple pair of jeans. Wearing them in the field I haven't seen any ticks, but you can't prove a negative so today I wore untreated jeans and found a tick crawling up my back. I put it on the treated jeans and it roamed around for almost 10 minutes heading towards me most of the time.

I was disappointed it didn't die in inches as suggested. It could have crawled through the treated jeans with no visible I'll effect. Bummer. Flash of inspiration; what if the pants were damp? Well, it crawled across the damp spot several times, but once I forced its belly onto the damp surface (did not squish it) it clamped its legs up tight and was dead within the minute.

Make your own tests but I'm not looking forward to soggy pants to be tick free. Maybe if I were wearing them and body moisture were moving through them it would be a different result?

What have you observed?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJJ View Post
    So I bought a jug on Amazon of 37% and watered it down to .5% like Sayers,and soaked a couple pair of jeans. Wearing them in the field I haven't seen any ticks, but you can't prove a negative so today I wore untreated jeans and found a tick crawling up my back. I put it on the treated jeans and it roamed around for almost 10 minutes heading towards me most of the time.

I was disappointed it didn't die in inches as suggested. It could have crawled through the treated jeans with no visible I'll effect. Bummer. Flash of inspiration; what if the pants were damp? Well, it crawled across the damp spot several times, but once I forced its belly onto the damp surface (did not squish it) it clamped its legs up tight and was dead within the minute.

Make your own tests but I'm not looking forward to soggy pants to be tick free. Maybe if I were wearing them and body moisture were moving through them it would be a different result?

What have you observed?
    I have not observed them falling over dead. I have simply never so far found a tick on me after hiking through the thickest brush on ridge tops or swampy bottoms in MS, or any other time. Previously, just camping at a developed camp ground in the same park, I have found more than one tick crawling on me or attached to my skin. But I have not seen one in the last couple of years, sense I started treating my clothes.

A few days ago, heat be damned, I went for an afternoon hike and hang using treated socks,pants,short sleeve tee shirt and cap. I was practicing using my map and compass for off trail hiking, mucho fun. I did not spray Picaridin on my exposed skin like I usually do. But I had it handy in my pack. Hiked off trail down off the ridge and across a bottom and back up a hill showing on the topo as "BM 450 ft". I never saw or heard a bug until I was almost back to my truck a few hours later, near the end of the day. Then I heard a knat or mossy whining nearby over a couple of minutes, but never saw it. Oh, this was with clothing sprayed several weeks ago and stored dry in a plastic bag.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WL3/4 - GoLite TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    THIS STUFF REALLY WORKS!!!

I went kayak camping this past weekend along the banks of one our swampy Florida rivers. Prior to the trip I gave my Skeeter Beeter Pro a treatment of Permethrin .5%. The heat and humidity were through the roof so I was laying bare skinned up against my hammock. I didn't get one bite, in fact, I didn't even hear any bugs buzzing all weekend.

My buddy, on the other hand, used an ENO DN with bug net Friday night and no bug net but with Mosquito Coils Saturday night 'cause he thought the netting would hold in too much heat. The first night he was up most of the night with buzzing, the second he was fine until the coils burned out then he got eaten alive.

Vivre le Permetherin!!!
    Last edited by GrayDog; 06-26-2012 at 06:05.
    hammock [ham-uhk] noun
    Man's successful attempt to sleep on a cloud

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    BushcraftUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    blue foam pad
    Suspension
    factory ropes

Make this thread a sticky?

This is a very useful and informative thread with much good info and links. I suggest this thread be made a sticky, especially to help those many who are not supporting members and can't access that information.
    You can be wet and miserable, or you can choose to just be wet.

Hammock
    DIY "Phoenix" DL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Incubator, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Did the hammock with Sawyer, and the results were great. Could hear the mosquitoes buzzing outside the bug net. Then it would stop. Sounded like I turned my whole hammock into a bug zapper.

Did my clothes as well, in a Lyme endemic area camping, no ticks and no bug bites of any type.
    The person who says that it can't be done, doesn't
    The person who says that it can be done, does it!

Hammock
    WWBB 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ - UQ
    Suspension
    WB Strap - Buckle
    Images
    I need to do this ASAP...Found 3 ticks on the kids just from a short day trip hike here in central PA...

Hammock
    GTUL or Tableclothsfactory
    Tarp
    Kelty 9' footprint
    Insulation
    Pad + sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    I hope it's not a bother to bump this thread, but I just thought I'd post my recent experience with treating fabrics.
    Finally treated 2 Grand Trunk Ultralight hammocks with Permethrin SFR 36.8% (2oz in 70oz of water for close to the 0.5% permethrin in Sawyer's products) last night by soaking it. They dried fine and I don't see any problems.
    I did learn that spraying is better for cotton or cotton/synthetic blend fabrics because they soak up far more permethrin than 100% synthetics and then drip a lot more, wasting a lot of the permethrin mixture and taking longer to dry. Bug nets also needed a bit more liquid than I expected.
    All in all, I used a little less than 2 liters of diluted 0.5% permethrin solution for 2 GTULs, 2 Mombasa single bugnets, 1 100% nylon shirt and pair of pants, 2 duofold cotton/poly quick-dry shirts, a pair of thin cotton pants, and a cheap, thin bandana. Another 1/2 liter or so was used to spray another pair of cotton pants, another cotton/poly shirt, and 2 pairs of wool socks from the ankles up.
    The dried treated items do have some scent, but it's not too bad and I expect it'll dissipate.
    I used 1 quart of this: http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/pe...art-p-445.html
    Hope this is useful!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Whatever I have leftover in the bucket usually gets sprayed around the back door, porch, flowers, etc.
    My garage floor is insect free too!

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast