Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Here is what a 5x9 tarp will do for you in 3" of snow

Spent a night on the AT this weekend at the Gravel Spring shelter campsite area while out with friends.
    It snowed 2-3" sat night and temps were down around, I am guessing, 20f.
    The new Golite 20f quilt I picked up on sale worked great with my combo UQ/reflectix rear end/ccf foot pad to keep me sweating most of the night.

I had loaned my larger tarp to a buddy camping next to me on the ground and opted to test out the diy 5x9 sil tarp I made a few weeks ago.
    There was basically no wind all night. If the snow would have been blowing I would have had change my trees and pitch, or go to ground.
    But since there was no wind it worked out great. The snow stayed out, but the tarp was almost touching my head a few times due to the snow pack on top.

I did not bring any kind of weathershield in an effort to get my pack weight down (around 14lbs total with food/water/fuel and an extra wood stove that I was playing with) but it would have been a good idea with any sort of wind or rain.

Overall it was great watching it snow from the hammock, but this tarp will likley only get used when the forecast is for minimal percip. Like I said, if there had been any wind the night could have been miserable.
    2.5' of wall on each side aint much!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Pretty good. I have also used tarps about that size. You're right, there can be problems if you have precipitation + wind. If you use an asym position in the hammock, you can get more coverage by hanging the tarp on the diagonal. 5' x 9' gives you a 10' 3" ridgeline. In bad weather you can tie the tarp down lower for some side coverage, too.

Funny you mention that.
    I did hang it in an asym fashion at first (corner to opposite corner) but felt that was going to give up coverage by doing so. I guess that it wouldn't be a true asym tarp since it is a rectangle cut. I do lay side to side in the hammock. I am thinking about making a tru asym tarp in the future, but got to get these other projects finished first

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lando View Post
    Funny you mention that.
    I did hang it in an asym fashion at first (corner to opposite corner) but felt that was going to give up coverage by doing so. I guess that it wouldn't be a true asym tarp since it is a rectangle cut. I do lay side to side in the hammock. I am thinking about making a tru asym tarp in the future, but got to get these other projects finished first
    It may be just a matter of different terms for the same thing or somesuch, but I don't know what you mean by "an asym tarp". When I lie asymmetrically in my hammock (head left of center and feet right of center) and hang the rectangular tarp on the diagonal (corner to opposite corner, as you said [good description]), then my head and feet are more or less centered under the ends of the rectangle, and the other two corners are close to the side tie-out points of my hammock (left shoulder and right knee, more or less) so they tie out to the same stakes the hammock uses. When you make your tarp, don't forget to post pictures. Thanks.

http://gear-report.com/wp-content/up...mock-Tarps.jpg

I think this is what I was referring to in the top right photo.
    It looks like a leaning rectangle instead of having all 90 degree corners.
    At least that is the way I understood it....

Nice,

I have a 5x9 poncho tarp, but have yet to try it out with a hammock.
    Always under my 8x10.

Just out of curiosity, what type and how long is your hammock
    and what suspension drip strings etc.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Do you know how much this tarp weighs. I've been wanting to try a 9' tarp.

I forget the length of the hammock. I think it is around 8.5' and it is a bit short due to the way it is whipped. ( I am about 6'1") I am in the process of changing that. Basically I used too much material when doing the whip and need to shorten that up and adjust so the center ridge in the hammock material is not like a bar down the center. I used 1.1 ripstop for the hammock and have had no issues so far.
    The suspension/drip is whoopie slings, but I don't thing I actually tied a drip string this time and it was not a problem. Too cold.
    On the tarp and hammock tree straps I am using toggles made of carbon fiber arrows tied with a water knot on 1.5mm cord for prussic knots that I can adjust on the ridge line, which is kelty triptease.
    I also used the trip tease with a figure 9 as a structural ridge line. I am around 195lbs and never had a problem with it, but will likely replace the hammock ridge with a whoopie sling since I prefer them to the figure 9.
    I think the hammock, with suspension and straps, weights 10-11oz. in the bag.Tarp clocks in at 12oz in the bag.

My 1.1 sil campmor poncho tarp weighs 9oz bare.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I "had" a DIY 5'x10'. I couldn't get it to hang tight enough, so I tried a cat-cut. Wrong idea with this, as it was small enough as it was, so it's now just a scrap of DIY sil- material. I might be able to make some waterproof bags from it, or a backpack cover.

Nice looking tarp!!!
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast