Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images

New tarp/ridgeline attachment

Ever since I began hammock hanging, I've had trouble with with my tarp slipping on the ridgeline overnight, especially if its windy. Prussicks and Klemheist hitches both slip, even with extra wraps, on 1.75mm Lash-It. So I decided to try something different. After backyard trials this weekend, in rain and a little wind, I'm pleased with the results -- no slippage at all after 3 days.

So what I did is this -- I made a constrictor with a locked brummel in 1.75mm Lash-It. Burned the end to make a little button that wouldn't fray, and to eliminate a pigtail (as I had in an initial design. The pigtail kept getting bumped and releasing tension on the constrictor.) I placed a small nail in the end of the Lash-It before I held it over a flame. This kept the line open on the end. The loop attaches directly to the tarp d-ring, eliminating a biner. The ridgeline runs thru the constrictor and exits just shy of the bury of the eye splice.

I made them longer than is necessary so if it does get bumped there is still plenty of bury to hold the tension on the tarp. I'm really pleased with these, but I'm not sure what to call them. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks like a UCR suspension but for a tarp ridgeline?? I can't see the tree connection end to see what you have done to wrap the line around the tree and how it's secured on that end!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    It looks like a UCR suspension but for a tarp ridgeline?? I can't see the tree connection end to see what you have done to wrap the line around the tree and how it's secured on that end!
    Yes.

I use a figure 9. But it doesn't matter what method you use. These constrictors slide anywhere on the ridgeline you need to put them once the rideline is secured. All these do is replace a prussick.

I tried to get a picture of these with the tarp setup, but the line is so small they blended into the background.

• + New Posts