Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which Hammock should I choose??

Hi all, I'm a new member to the forums. Thanks for having me.

I just recently decided to get a hammock. Up until not I've done all my hiking and camping with a tent. I just can't seem to get a good comfortable rest. I've got a decent sleeping bag, thermorest, etc. It seems that I'm tossing and turning all night and I normally don't move much (or at all) when sleeping.

So this leads me to my quest to find the right hammock. I'm 5'9" & 185 lbs. The vast majority of my camping is done in FL although I do plan to go up north at some time in the future so I'd like something that is adaptable to handle colder temps.

From what I gather hammocks utilize one of three methods of entry; back, side, and bottom. My first inclination is towards side entry although I've never been in a camping hammock of any type soo take that for what it's worth. My preference for side entry seems to lead me to the Clark Tropical/North American or the Claytor jungle hammock. Am I missing any? I'm not dead set of anything at this point (including side entry) should I be looking at another type/brand of hammock?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    My only input is to make sure you have a bugnet since you are in Florida. happy hammocking.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    You'll get a recommendation for just about all the popular hammocks used around here. I've tried several and this one is by far my favorite. Would work well at your size. www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/BMBH.htm
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    You'll get a recommendation for just about all the popular hammocks used around here. I've tried several and this one is by far my favorite. Would work well at your size. www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/BMBH.htm
    Thanks for the suggestion. Is this a bridge hammock? I've heard that term passed around. If so, what makes them so good. It does look like the hammock would give you more room widthwise. That is nice.

Update: I just went to the JRB portion of this site. There is a thread that does a pretty good job explaining the benefits of this particular hammock.
    Last edited by RossinFL; 02-04-2008 at 20:20.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RossinFL View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. Is this a bridge hammock? I've heard that term passed around. If so, what makes them so good. It does look like the hammock would give you more room widthwise. That is nice.

Update: I just went to the JRB portion of this site. There is a thread that does a pretty good job explaining the benefits of this particular hammock.
    No more room widthwise just more comfortable than any hammock I've used.
    The pad pocket is great cause it eliminates many of the hassles that a pad in a hammock can bring such as buckling. Feels just as good with or without pads. Underquilts also fit better than other hammocks due to the design. I'm not a back sleeper but have become one in this hammock. Super comfy on my back with my hands across my chest like in this picture. http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_fi...r%20Pocket.jpg
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Get one of each style!

Just kidding.....kind of. Based on what you said in your initial post, I'd lean towards recommending a Claytor for your first. The Clarks are pricey if you wind-up not liking them. The JRB Bridge is pretty neato, but again might not be the best first hammock. The good news is that whatever you decide to get, if you don't like it, I haven't seen anybody have problems selling one here.

Most importantly, I'm very happy to welcome another Florida hanger to the Forum!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    Switchback Diamond
    Insulation
    Polar Pod
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    After trying serveral hammocks, I settled on the claytor. I have seen no reason to change, but there are quality hammocks available from serveral makers and it is just a matter of deciding on which features are most important to you. Welcome to the forum!--John

Hammock
    Clark NX270
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Incubators
    Images
    I've had a Hennessey bottom entry hammock and now I use a side entry Clark. Between the two I've enjoyed the side entry much better than a bottom entry. With side entry you can cook, grab gear, etc. w/out leaving the hammock which is a plus. Between the two hammocks the Clark is my favorite. Welcome to the forum!

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    If you are a DIY type you can build for next to nothing...especially Speer top loader style. That way you can try that one cheap. Check this...

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html

I did a double layer version zHammock style and really like the versatility. See here...

http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm

In any case, prepare for some of the most comfortable camp sleeping ever. Not to mention you will no longer have to crawl around on the ground!

Enjoy all the great information here...
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Quote Originally Posted by rstms View Post
    If you are a DIY type you can build for next to nothing...especially Speer top loader style. That way you can try that one cheap. Check this...

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html

I did a double layer version zHammock style and really like the versatility. See here...

http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm

In any case, prepare for some of the most comfortable camp sleeping ever. Not to mention you will no longer have to crawl around on the ground!

Enjoy all the great information here...
    rstms, that looks like a really nice hammock. I have no sewing equipment and have never sewn anything more than a button. Wow, I think it would take a sewing class and a sybstantial amount of money to buy the sewing machine!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast