Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Noob Q: Which HH special?

I'm a hanging noob about to pull the trigger on a HH Deep Jungle XL zip w/ hex fly. I didn't purchase during the Christmas special sale with the Scout, but now I regret it.

The current HH promotion is the Stay Warm SuperShelter promotion. I live in SC and plan on using the hammock while section hiking (NoBo) the AT starting in mid-May. Do you think it would be worthwhile to take advantage of this special, or might there be a special in the April timeframe that may be more applicable for my situation?

The Hennessy rep told me over the phone they would probably switch promotions in the April timeframe. I don't know if I should take advantage of the current promotion, buy the DJ hammock alone now, or wait for whatever the new promotion might be. Any thoughts from those more experienced with hanging? Thanks.

- Cruffler

Well Cruffler, I would decide if the HHSS is something you need/want.. there are reviews going each way, seems to be love it or hate it. So if you think a SS is what you want vs. say quilts then pull the trigger cause it's a deal for the SS.. but if you think you may not want to go the way of the SS then I say wait til april and see what's new if that's when they said they'd change it. You'll still be able to get your hammock in time to get it out a couple weekends. my .02

Thanks, Slo. I guess what I was asking in a roundabout way was whether the SS would be needed outside of early spring temps here in GA, NC, and TN. I have no idea what the temperature range for the SS might be.

Will the Deep Jungle bubble pad or bubble pad and CC foam pad be sufficient for shielding my backside, or do I NEED the SS for cooler mountain evenings?

-Cruffler

no you don't need it, a pad and sleeping bag will keep you warm to their ratings. There also really is no temp rating for the SS, different results for different people.. some down in to the 50's some to the 30's without extra insulation. A lot of people also have condensation issues with them, might be exasperated by the humid weather you have.

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    This will solve you delema... They don't make the SS for the Deep Jungle hammock. Just the Exped, ULba and explorer. So... Your answer is wait till the next promo. My guess is it will be a tarp upgrade...

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB1520 View Post
    This will solve you delema... They don't make the SS for the Deep Jungle hammock. Just the Exped, ULba and explorer. So... Your answer is wait till the next promo. My guess is it will be a tarp upgrade...

The DJXL is an Explorer Duluxe with a double layer. The SS #2 fits it just fine.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    The DJXL is an Explorer Duluxe with a double layer. The SS #2 fits it just fine.
    It does as far as I can tell. The specs (width and length) are the same for Explorer/DJXL. But I think the DJ hammock seems to be a bit lower below the RL than does my Explorer UL. That is the only potential problem I can see, with the over cover. But still, I can not percieve any stress with the overcover and the DJ. It doesn't seem to fit much dif than on the Explorer.

But you don't need the SS, though I think it is nice. I have found a pad works pretty good in the DJ pad pocket. And that plus a CCF pad that is thick enough- or even the CCF pad by itself- should get you through whatever temps you might encounter. Plus, your good to go for ground or shelters. I have no idea what temps the bubble pad is good for.

Yeah, the HH rep did not dissuade me from buying the SS with the DJXL, so I had assumed that they fit without an issue. I'm still waffling on this purchase, but I'll probably make my decision in the next couple of days. I guess it'll depend on how long into the seasons I'll be section hiking. When I was preparing last fall, I was up in the NC mountains in mid-October and it got a mite chilly on the ground. It was about 36 in some of the valley bottoms in the mornings.

One final question relating to the SS: how much volume does the SS take up, component-wise? This might alter what I use for my pack on occasion, either my Gregory internal frame or the Hellcat Alice pack.

Thanks again for your responses

Hammock
    HH hyperlight
    Tarp
    JRB Cat/Cuban Cat
    Insulation
    MW4UQ/Leighlo 2/3
    Suspension
    Whoop/Nacra/Dutch
    I upgraded to a underquilt from the Super Shelter pretty quickly, but I do a lot of winter camping. As was noted above the SS undercover is not breathable and I had moisture problems and it was not that warm for me. The SS compresses into a smaller space than my Mount Washington 4 season, but the weight is similar. I think tarp coverage is as important a consideration in the cold as insulation. I also carry a short NeoAir for additional insurance against CBS.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    OES Cuben Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    As it turns out, I just bought one.

Specs:
    21 3/8 oz (606 g)