Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: KC Area Hang

it was great - around 22f when we went to bed, got slightly warmer as the night went on, then the "gentle zephyrs" started up around 3-4 AM and I learned a few things about necessary changes to how I set my tarp.
    this morning we got the fire up so folks could cook breakfast, then went on a hike - there's a 4.5 mile trail loop into and out of the camp -- it was gorgeous. Probably hit close to 45f while we were on the trail, which was perfectly comfortable when we were in the lee and brisk when we were exposed to the breeze coming off the lake.
    Met some good folks yesterday and today - was a great first hang for me.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Camo Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Thermarest pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I had to leave early as well but it was a good turn out. I got some good ideas for my guy lines, and had a good hang and a nice day hike.

Hammock
    1.5oz Ripstop Single Layer DIY
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix & Incub
    Suspension
    Strp,Whoop,Biner
    Had an awesome time guys! Here's a few pics from the weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nick 'Towellie'
    www.baxpax.org

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    I returned home this afternoon, after a stop in Manhattan. I had a great time, Saw four HF"s that I have hung with before. The rest were new faces and great to meet.
    Weather was good, not to cold or windy. However, I hung down in the woods a little ways to reduce the effect of the wind.
    Other than a foam pad that I had in my bag chair taking a trip in to the fire ring with the wind there was no problems.
    I wish I had a video camera rolling when the Osage Orange fire log created a great light show and shower of sparks. All the down covered members scatter like a covey of quail. Carhartt rules around a campfire.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    There ya go. Pictures and all. Just back from the Urgency Care room here. Doc says a couple days out in the cold probably wouldn't have done my Bronchitis any good. Guess it wasn't meant to be for me this weekend.

Hey, we'll have to do it again when the world is green!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I want to thank everyone who came out. Weasel and I had a BLAST!!! It was great sharing "our back yard" with all of you guys (and gals!).

It was great to see Walking Bear and Dudorino again...and really cool to meet Skygazer and Otter (his wife), and the whole passel of local folks who came out!

That first night was a definite test of my cold weather setup...it got down to around 22F, and the winds were KICKIN as it got closer to dawn. It was kinda funny that the Boy Scout troop that came out were so surprised to see us out there, and cool that they came around later the second day to check out the hammocks. Dudorino gave an awesome walk thru of the Clark and basic concepts of hanging to them. We might have made a few converts!

The hike around the trail was really nice. I'd never been out there this time of year, and it was interesting to see the changes and how scenic the path was even in winter. Hammockforums was well represented, and we left a pleasent note and plug for HF.net in a geocache that we stumbled on as well.

The teepee that had been left out there for others to enjoy was beautiful, and I thought it was really cool that while there were a lot of people that walked in/out of it, they left it pristine and respected the owner's wishes.

Last night sitting around the fire was a blast...from watching the fireworks show that the sparks put on, to the late night discusion with the die-hard few (FLAWLESS VICTORY!), to finally heading over to the hammock and crashing out to be the last person to wake up in the morning...it was a great trip.

Thanks again to everyone who came out...I think everyone had a great time!

BTW...the golf ball did indeed melt, and not explode. You were right, Skygazer!

Hammock
    Darien UL, Ridgerunner, DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I want to thank everyone who came out. Weasel and I had a BLAST!!! It was great sharing "our back yard" with all of you guys (and gals!).

It was great to see Walking Bear and Dudorino again...and really cool to meet Skygazer and Otter (his wife), and the whole passel of local folks who came out!

That first night was a definite test of my cold weather setup...it got down to around 22F, and the winds were KICKIN as it got closer to dawn. It was kinda funny that the Boy Scout troop that came out were so surprised to see us out there, and cool that they came around later the second day to check out the hammocks. Dudorino gave an awesome walk thru of the Clark and basic concepts of hanging to them. We might have made a few converts!

The hike around the trail was really nice. I'd never been out there this time of year, and it was interesting to see the changes and how scenic the path was even in winter. Hammockforums was well represented, and we left a pleasent note and plug for HF.net in a geocache that we stumbled on as well.

The teepee that had been left out there for others to enjoy was beautiful, and I thought it was really cool that while there were a lot of people that walked in/out of it, they left it pristine and respected the owner's wishes.

Last night sitting around the fire was a blast...from watching the fireworks show that the sparks put on, to the late night discusion with the die-hard few (FLAWLESS VICTORY!), to finally heading over to the hammock and crashing out to be the last person to wake up in the morning...it was a great trip.

Thanks again to everyone who came out...I think everyone had a great time!

BTW...the golf ball did indeed melt, and not explode. You were right, Skygazer!
    Thank you Owl for organizing it was a terrific turn out and I enjoyed meeting everyone and hanging out.
    Group photo attached and I will post more this week.

DSC00404.jpg
    "nature speaks in the silence between words"
    www.mustexplore.blogspot.com

Hammock
    HH/ WBRR
    Tarp
    OES / Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UG
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Enjoyed meeting and hanging with you all. Great turn out, looking forward to the next one. Will add a few pics shortly.

Seriously, I've never seen so much down in one place before, the stuff works. Here I thought I was a gear *****. I've got some serious catching up to do ;^)

future HF member

Friday nite sunset
    Last edited by fuhgawee; 01-16-2012 at 21:29.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 Dbl Layer
    Tarp
    WB Edge or DIY
    Insulation
    HG 20* UQ + DIY TQ
    Yup, had a great time. It was nice to meet all the locals and I'm looking forward to the next hang.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Hope ya'll don't mind...I requested that this thread be renamed and moved into the trip report section...since this was a successful, completed hang by all accounts!

Thanks again folks...so glad to have had a chance to come out and meet everyone!

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast