WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images

Canaveral National Seashore March 24-7, 2011 (trip rpt)

Great hang!
    Converted a few ground dwellers,
    found some clams
    and ate them! (the clams not the ground dwellers)
    First pics - Can you tell what we were thinking about the whole time?
    More in depth commentary to follow (along with gear cleaning).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Thanks to everyone who came out. What a great time!

Things started of roughly when we kayaked across the bay Thursday into a 30 mph wind. I was nominated to ferry over the gear in the dinghy since I was the lightest. With whitecaps breaking over the bow and sides of the boat and no bilge pump we ended up dropping half the load on an oyster bar and went back for it later. The paddle over was work, but on the plus side the high winds did keep the mosquitoes and no see ums away Thursday evening. With the clear skies I was able to sleep without a tarp and fall asleep watching the stars.

On Friday we kayaked back to the launch and hauled yet another load of firewood back to the campsite. I think we left about a week worth of firewood for the next campers. We also did some clamming on Friday. The larger clams were purged then steamed and put into a clam chowder while the smaller clams were kept to be baked on Saturday. On the way back a pod of six dolphins surrounded the kayak of one in our group but getting a picture of a dolphin cresting is like getting a picture of a lightning strike. Everyone picked up their paddles and watched the dolphins for a good 15 minutes.

On Saturday morning our tenting friends treated us to a breakfast of pancakes, bacon and eggs. It was a mountain of food. Later, I paddled around the bay near the campsite and checked out a nearby campsite that I had never scouted before. We welcomed three more hammockers and said goodbye to our 4 tenting friends (I'm sure you will be hearing from them soon with questions about hammock setups).

Sunday we all packed and said our goodbyes. On the way in we spotted two bald eagles flying overhead chasing a peregrine that had caught a fish. What a great end to the trip.

Hopefully it wont be too long before we get out to enjoy the sights and company of friends again!
    Last edited by Gumbo; 03-27-2011 at 22:39.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sounds like a great trip and lots of fun (and food). Wish I could have been there. Maybe next time. Also good pics Timberrr.

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    I had a wonderful weekend! Some great fishin', but not a whole lot of catchin'. Awesome weather, good friends, beautiful environs. And the food! Good Lord that Gumbo Chief can cook! The fresh clams hot off the campfire were just unforgettable.
    Thanks for everything. Let's do it again soon!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images

Pif

I'm putting up a PIF of Medicineman's feed bag. It's got some trail mix, I think I saw some Cheerios, and oh yeah... there's a Back Country Boiler and an Esbit Stove and a nice titanium cup too! The first response gets it.

Okay. JK. Duffy's mailing it back to you.
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Big mamagama
    Insulation
    SPE,blu pad,no sni
    Had a wonderful time. Y'all are a great group to hang with. Thank you for the great cooking and the friendly fellowship. I had a blast. Hope to see you again soon.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Looks warm
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    NeoAir LT / DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    Had a great time on the first night of this hang and got my first taste of kayak camping!

Gumbo and Timberrr were great hosts. Hope we can do it again some time. Sorry I missed the rest of you, hope you found a place to hang. I had a 15 hour drive on Saturday, arriving home to snow on the ground. Hope to get my photos up this evening.

Thanks again!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Wow! I knew you folks would have a great time with Timberr and Gumbo organizing things and there was no doubt that the food would be spectacular. I can't wait to see more pics and hear more stories.

One day I'm going to have to pick up a kayak and join the fun!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    The day I left east TN it snowed. I made it to Palm Coast the first night, crashed, and woke up to 72F-before the day was over it was in the 80s! I paddled around in Mosquito Lagoon before heading to the campsite and was blessed to see dolphins doing their thing. Set up camp, took a nap and heard Chief Jumbo calling my name. Got to meet a lot of ground dwellers who will probably convert. I slept 12 hours the first night in a Warbonnet.
    Dinner was remarkable--this Gumbo is the master of anything she touches, I think she could cook rocks and make them wonderful. The whole process of getting the clams onto the dinner plate was very interesting---especially the way Timberrr tricked them into pooping If you ever get to hang with Gumbo just know the meals are multi course and gourmet.
    I was surprised by the number of Florida hangers who are also AT hikers and one of the ground dwellers is thinking about a SoBo Thru-hike.....so it was another awesome gathering of hikers/paddlers and hangers.
    My second night I only slept 10 hours, woke up thinking about the long drive and promptly left my food bag---thanks to Chief Jumbo and Duffy for taking care of it!
    I remember lying in the hammock staring at a blue sky behind Spanish moss and the green oak leaves and behind me the lagoon--what a contrast to the last hang on Roan Mountain.
    I got home to find 36F and snowflakes in the air-sometimes you wish you'd never left a certain place!
    Great meeting Scott,Bruce,Karen, their daughter; of course Gumbo, Timberrr and their son. Also Duffy, Zukiguy, and Johnny Walker. I've done a lot of these hangs, I think this was no. 14 and in all those folks I've not met a one I would want to hike or paddle with again.
    Thanks again for inviting me.
    p.s. working on a funky vid-funky when you don't have batteries.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast