Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Looks good, Tim. I assume North is up in the pic. If I'm reading it right, we park in/near the tear-drop shaped turnaround on the right side, then hike NW on the red trail, which merges with the black trail. Skirt the park boundary, intersect the AT and the shelter is on the back side of the peak. Right?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    i hope you guys have a great time this weekend. i hope to make the next one!
    stay warm and dry....
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I was thinking of parking at the "P" parking area toward the bottom left (marked Massie Gap), then taking the Rhododendron Gap Trail up to the AT, then taking the AT east to Wise. That section of the AT has some really nice views, btw, for anyone doing a shorter trip or not doing any day hiking. Of course, that parking area may not be accessible...Tim?
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

just make sure you don't take the Wilson Trail by mistake. It is a nice trail if you end up on it

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Looks good, Tim. I assume North is up in the pic. If I'm reading it right, we park in/near the tear-drop shaped turnaround on the right side, then hike NW on the red trail, which merges with the black trail. Skirt the park boundary, intersect the AT and the shelter is on the back side of the peak. Right?
    yep, north is up. but what looks like a tear drop shaped turnaround is actually the roads going through the camp sites in the camp ground.
    notice that our red trail is on the left, just before the first campground road cuts off to the right.
    the general store is directly across (on the right) from the red trail & parking.
    i believe there is a sign on the building saying "general store", but if not it's a wood building, divided in the middle by a breeze-way.
    the map shows a gate down the trail a ways, but it's just at the back of the small parking area i believe.
    that's where the trail starts. it's actually a gravel service road & you can actually see it as the "main trail" as you pass by the other trails that you see on the map.
    so just stay on the main, wide trail/road & when you come to the second creek, the stile that HOI talked about will be on your left.
    if you choose to go accross the 2nd creek, you will soon come to the AT.
    take a left on the AT & you will be at the wise shelter in less than 10 min.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I was thinking of parking at the "P" parking area toward the bottom left (marked Massie Gap), then taking the Rhododendron Gap Trail up to the AT, then taking the AT east to Wise. That section of the AT has some really nice views, btw, for anyone doing a shorter trip or not doing any day hiking. Of course, that parking area may not be accessible...Tim?
    if you wanted to go in that way, they have a gravel parking area for overnighters that's not shown on this map.
    if you take a right on that same campground road as the other parking area, you will see the "overnight parking area" (w/ sign) immediately on your left.
    from that parking area, you can take the rodo gap trail, the horse trail, or the AT spur trail to get to wise shelter. but i'll be w/ you so i can show you were they are.
    i meant to call GHSP today & check on the conditions, but i forgot.
    i'll call tomorrow.
    they told me that there is a certain combination of wind, temps, etc that they use to determine when they post that the trails in the park are closed.
    if it looks like they will close trails, i'll ask them again about "what if people still choose to park & camp"?

well topozone shows the area but does not show the AT and some of the other trails, this is where the shelter is located approximately : http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=...83&layer=DRG25

Images

thanks

that will work i just had to make sure i was going to the right place.
    Bear bait what??? Your It!!!!!!!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i called GHSP at 9am thurs, 25th, & the lady said they were getting snow.
    when i asked about closing trail heads, she said they had no plans at this time to do so, but that could change at any time.
    she said they were expecting frigid weather.
    i'm off to work, but i suppose that we should talk about plan b so every one knows for sure where the other location is & if there is a last minute closing of the trails in the state park, everyone would know how to drive around to the other location which is outside GHSP but still in the mt rogers rec area.
    people could get last minute info on the state park either by phone or driving into the park.
    GHSP ...(276) 579-7092
    area ranger ...(276) 783-5196

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    jeff... let me know if you need directions to mt rogers/GHSP.

looks like it's going to be particularly cold & windy fri, but things may ease-up some on sat for a day hike & the hot dogs.
    i'll call GHSP again in the morn before i leave (about 9:30am) & post a message about conditions.
    but if you're leaving before then, you could take the two numbers i gave last post back & give GHSP a call.

is it a group agreement that if GHSP closes trailheads due to weather conditions that we will go to plan B?

if so, we should be sure that every one understands how to get to the trailheads mentioned on the north side of mt rogers rec area.
    this is not the time of year for confusion<g>.

• + New Posts
  • Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast