Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    is the campout still a go for Red River Gorge
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer
    If you mean one in Febuary sometime on a weekday than yes. I want to go down there for a couple days next month. Let me know if you are free on any weekdays.
    Since the RRG is basically in my backyard I would be up so a outing there.

Images
    Slowhike - Just let me know. Plenty of room in the Durango for extra gear too. BTW, Pan, my buddy is bringing money in hopes that you are bringing a new Nest, Sniveller and Bottom Weathershield. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    after a little consistent pressure, my boss told me today that he would work it out for me to be off that fri (jan, 26).
    so count me in for the ride!!! ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    we're a few weeks away yet from the campout, but just as an example of how weather systems can move through & cause major changes, i called geryson highlands st park & got some current info.
    they have about 4" of snow w/ lows about 20°f.
    they haven't had to close trailheads yet, but the road going up to massie gap (the main park road that we would use to go to wise shelter) is pretty icy, & they have advisories to expect high winds w/ gusts up to 55mph.
    that will likely cause them to temporarily close trail heads.
    the reason i wanted to post this info is not to cause unnessasary concern, but just as a reminder to be realistic about the conditions.
    we will be seeking a campsite protected from the wind so hopefully the most we have to deal w/ in camp will be light breezes.
    i have camped in places where we could hear the wind roaring through the tree tops, but only a light breeze in camp. pretty neat!
    one of the challenges could be the roads we drive in on, depending on the weather conditions.
    something else to take into consideration is that if you plan to do a dayhike, you'll end up hiking into more exposed locations. it can be brutal out there in the hard cold wind if you don't have complete wind protection from top to bottom.
    i plan to have a decent amount of insulation for the down time around camp. you need more when your not working.
    i'll be using my ccf pad folded for a nice thick sit-pad & i may even want a layer of ccf pad under my feet as i stand around or sit for longer periods of time.
    just a few thoughts.

Images
    On the subject a little. I have been talking about my gear to my friend who joined a SAR team in OR. He has been telling me some of the stories about his first few searches. He has talked me into adding an emergency sleeping bag (same material as the emergency space blankets but in bag form) and a couple of hand warmers. The bag only weighs in at 2.6 oz and a couple more for the hand warmers. In a pinch I can get in the bag and pop a hand warmer and warm up really quick. Maybe overkill, but a quick easy way to warm up. I do most of my hiking alone. I think if I get too bad I need to warm up quick and may have problems sitting up my hammock.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    we're a few weeks away yet from the campout, but just as an example of how weather systems can move through & cause major changes, i called geryson highlands st park & got some current info.
    they have about 4" of snow w/ lows about 20°f.
    they haven't had to close trailheads yet, but the road going up to massie gap (the main park road that we would use to go to wise shelter) is pretty icy, & they have advisories to expect high winds w/ gusts up to 55mph.
    that will likely cause them to temporarily close trail heads.
    the reason i wanted to post this info is not to cause unnessasary concern, but just as a reminder to be realistic about the conditions.
    we will be seeking a campsite protected from the wind so hopefully the most we have to deal w/ in camp will be light breezes.
    i have camped in places where we could hear the wind roaring through the tree tops, but only a light breeze in camp. pretty neat!
    one of the challenges could be the roads we drive in on, depending on the weather conditions.
    something else to take into consideration is that if you plan to do a dayhike, you'll end up hiking into more exposed locations. it can be brutal out there in the hard cold wind if you don't have complete wind protection from top to bottom.
    i plan to have a decent amount of insulation for the down time around camp. you need more when your not working.
    i'll be using my ccf pad folded for a nice thick sit-pad & i may even want a layer of ccf pad under my feet as i stand around or sit for longer periods of time.
    just a few thoughts.

tenting sure looks nice..no wind to bother you, lighter gear and will sleep great on the ground

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    tenting sure looks nice..no wind to bother you, lighter gear and will sleep great on the ground
    Check the user agreement for this site. I think the above statement is illegal and not allowed on this site.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Check the user agreement for this site. I think the above statement is illegal and not allowed on this site.
    awwh... ewker's just messin wid us. he knows we got the tent thing beat.
    that's why he's hangin out w/ us here... just waitin to find his perfect hammock combo<G>.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    On the subject a little. I have been talking about my gear to my friend who joined a SAR team in OR. He has been telling me some of the stories about his first few searches. He has talked me into adding an emergency sleeping bag (same material as the emergency space blankets but in bag form) and a couple of hand warmers. The bag only weighs in at 2.6 oz and a couple more for the hand warmers. In a pinch I can get in the bag and pop a hand warmer and warm up really quick. Maybe overkill, but a quick easy way to warm up. I do most of my hiking alone. I think if I get too bad I need to warm up quick and may have problems sitting up my hammock.
    Funny you should mention hand warmers to heat up a sleeping bag. I got a gift card from Cabela's and I have been looking through the website trying to find ways to spend the money and I came across a sleeping bag warmer consisting of what looks like a fleece pouch that holds a hand warmer pad.

Anybody ever tried one of thesee sleep bag warmers? A DIY fleece pouch would be a very easy project and the hand warmers can be bought fairly cheaply from Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    awwh... ewker's just messin wid us. he knows we got the tent thing beat.
    that's why he's hangin out w/ us here... just waitin to find his perfect hammock combo<G>.

not so sure you have the tent thing beat. I sleep great in a tent

I do find it amazing all the stuff you have to take to stay warm at 50° and below.

I am one who has to be hands on with gear. I can't read about it. I have to hold it, feel and play with it. Gear is like a woman, it has to be handled to get the feel of it

I wish I could come and see what you guys will have but it isn't meant to be this time around.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast