Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I posted a campout board in Hammocking News that has the most recent info. Update and discuss here, then I'll update that as info changes. Send me a PM if I miss a change, like if you've signed up to bring something for Saturday's dinner. And make sure everything I put on there is accurate. Someone who knows the area - which parking area, how far to the shelter, and what's the best trail to use?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    I have all of the AT maps of the area. FYI, Wise shelter is pretty small (sleeps 8 I think) for those of you who have not been. The water source at the shelter was pretty iffy the last time I was there, but there is a strong creek very nearby. Im all for a community cookout on Saturday and am willing to bring buns (Just need a count of how many are needed prior to the big weekend).

I can look at my AT map for a place to park, etc., but would rather someone with more experience with the area make the decision on that.

Slowhike & Just Jeff - You guys still planning on riding with me? If so, when do you want to leave - Friday or Saturday? Im good for either one.

BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Images
    I don't think we need to be to concerned with Shelter space. I think everyone from what I read is planning to hang, the shelter is just a back up if someone gets cold.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images

camp out

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Bird Dog - I'm still planning on the carpool, and I'd like to head up Friday. Added your name to the buns on the trip board.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Space in my Jeep is still available to anyone willing to meet me anywhere along NC 421 between Greensboro and US 77. You'd have to be willing to put up with me smoking some on the way though, of course
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i'm not sure if they can manage w/o me at work that fri<g>, but i'll find out tomorrow & let you know.
    you can put me down for chips. let me know if i'll be the only one bringing chips so i can be sure to bring plenty. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    When it gets closer people who know the area will have to let me know if my car can make it to the parking area. My car sucks in the snow. If needed I may need a short ride from someone.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i will lay out some basic info on getting to wise shelter. check & make sure i have it right.
    hwy 58 in VA. will take you to the entrance to greyson highlands state park.http://www.dcr.state.va.us/parks/graysonh.htm
    when you enter the park, it's all up hill & for a good ways.
    1st you will come to the check-in booth which will be un-attended this time of year.
    there's a fee for overnight parking & you'll find envelopes there to put your cash or check in. it has a tear-off to put on your mirror or dash w/ a number that matches the number on your payment envelope.
    this just lets the rangers know that you paid the parking fee for that vehechcial. you don't have to put the info about arrival/departure date, & destination if you don't want.
    i'll call to confirm the amount & if it's required this time of year, but i believe the cost is $3.00 per vehicle, per day.
    that means $6 for a one night stay & $9 for a two night stay (per vehicle).
    as you continue up the park road you will pass the enterance to the picknic area on the right. a little ways farther, you will turn into the paved road leading to the camp ground. these are easy to see because of the normal, brown park signs.
    as soon as you turn onto the campground road, you will see the gravel parking area for overnight packpacking on the left, but unless you plan to hike in by a longer route, keep going on the camp ground road.
    as you begin to enter the campground, you will see a small building (divided by a breezeway) on the right, w/ a sign that says "country store".
    strait across, on the left, is the parking area that will get you closest to wise shelter.
    last time i was there, they had a port-a-john in that little parking area, but i don't know if they leave those out all year or not.
    at the back-side of the parking lot, you'll see a wide, gated, multi-use trail (like a forest service road) that you'll follow by foot.
    there are a couple trails that go off of that trail, but the main trai is obvious & you just stay on that.
    you will cross two creeks that are not deep but just wide enough that they could make it a challenge to keep your feet dry... depends on the water flow & if there is snow or ice on the rocks.
    after 20-30 minutes, the AT will cross the trail/road that you have been walking.
    take a left on the AT. you'll soon cross a creek on a wooden foot bridge (w/ hand rails) & a couple minutes later be at wise shelter.
    the whole walk took me about 40 minutes.
    Last edited by slowhike; 01-01-2007 at 14:23.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I can do some paper plates.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast