DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie

OCF pad as underquilt?

I was in JoAnn's fabrics the other day and noticed that their foam padding was on sale. In particular I was eyeing the 27" wide rolls of 1/2" foam.

This is OCF so it would compress under you if you took it in the hammock. I was thinking instead of suspending it under the hammock, perhaps between my hammock and my weather shield. In fact I guess what I was thinking of would look a lot like a Hennessy super shelter.

Beside the super shelter has anyone tried this? With 1/2" of foam I was thinking it might work well for temps in the 50s and 60s. I was thinking it might be more comfortable than a thin CCF pad because it would allow moisture through. Also at temps this high a real underquilt might be overkill.

Images
    I've actually used the egg crate-style mattress pad OCF inside the double layer of my hammock down to around 45 degrees. This was with a sleeping bag, not a quilt. I also think it's a good idea to hang it underneath super shelter style and have experimented a bit, but not enough to be of much help. I posted a similar question on here a while back and found out that Castaway Pete has done it successfully. Check out the last page of this thread for his posts. I say give it a shot.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Heber View Post

This is OCF so it would compress under you if you took it in the hammock. I was thinking instead of suspending it under the hammock, perhaps between my hammock and my weather shield. In fact I guess what I was thinking of would look a lot like a Hennessy super shelter.
    Open Cell Foam is great as a very breathable insulation. I find it is better used for winter insulation needs as the OCF is rather bulky even when compressed.

I don't think 27" wide is going to be enough for underquilt use as it is rather narrow. I would think anything approaching 40" or more would be appropriate. Underquilts work best when they are in full contact with the bottom of the hammock. I think it is going to be necessary to shape the foam so that it will conform to the hammock properly. Check out the Full length IX underquilts.

Being a marketer in my day job, I will say that all things bear testing. So try your idea out in your backyard hanging lab and report back.

Cheers

Brian

It'll never work, the Super Shelter pad is shaped, also the SS outer cover is pleated and shaped. You'll be wasting your time and money. Buy a Super Shelter.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    It'll never work, the Super Shelter pad is shaped, also the SS outer cover is pleated and shaped. You'll be wasting your time and money. Buy a Super Shelter.
    Last I checked the Super Shelter is meant for HH asym style hammocks. The OP has a DIY bridge hammock according to his information.

Evidently you didn't bother to check out the thread linked to about Castaway Pete. He made a OCF pad into an underquilt. He shaped it to fit his hammock, made a fabric cover for it and reported good success down to 30F or so.

Just because someone has a different idea from the established norms of how things are usually done, doesn't mean it's a bad idea. Take the advent of Insultex, differential cut underquilts and Amsteel suspensions with whoopie slings or UCRs. With out experimentation there is no innovation.

As for the OP wasting his time and money, OCF is relatively inexpensive and so is ripstop nylon fabric for that matter. I for one am glad this thread came up as I had a similar idea for making such an UQ for winter camping purposes with a thicker OCF pad. I know now, that my idea will work as I hoped.

Cheers

Brian

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Last I checked the Super Shelter is meant for HH asym style hammocks. The OP has a DIY bridge hammock according to his information.

Evidently you didn't bother to check out the thread linked to about Castaway Pete. He made a OCF pad into an underquilt. He shaped it to fit his hammock, made a fabric cover for it and reported good success down to 30F or so.

Just because someone has a different idea from the established norms of how things are usually done, doesn't mean it's a bad idea. Take the advent of Insultex, differential cut underquilts and Amsteel suspensions with whoopie slings or UCRs. With out experimentation there is no innovation.

As for the OP wasting his time and money, OCF is relatively inexpensive and so is ripstop nylon fabric for that matter. I for one am glad this thread came up as I had a similar idea for making such an UQ for winter camping purposes with a thicker OCF pad. I know now, that my idea will work as I hoped.

Cheers

Brian
    Agreed. You can cut the foam and glue it back together. It works pretty well, actually. I've darted it and it's pretty sturdy. I just didn't dart mine properly. Castaway Pete's obviously on the right track for that. I think it's worth a try, and you can always just use the foam in the hammock during not-so-cold weather.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Cheap OCF can be had in wide widths. Look at those ocf/eggcrate mattress pads. A twin size will work. Most major stores sell them.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I'm not trying to discourage the use of OCF but be aware that unlike CCF, it will soak up water like a sponge, so, just keep it dry.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I'm not trying to discourage the use of OCF but be aware that unlike CCF, it will soak up water like a sponge, so, just keep it dry.
    Actually that is a desirable benefit of OCF that it is very breathable and will readily pass moisture through it like a sponge. I've just come through a winter season and had tested some DIY OCF foam hats and boot liners along with some foam insulated gear from Northern Outfitters (Jacket, bib pants and mitts) and I was very impressed with the warmth and breathability of the OCF. One thing I learned about OCF and moisture is that even if it is wet (soaking or just damp), it is still warm and your body heat will dry it out over time.

It wasn't my intention to derail this thread from the topic of OCF pad as and underquilt.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Actually that is a desirable benefit of OCF that it is very breathable and will readily pass moisture through it like a sponge.
    I agree completely! I just didn't want anyone assuming that it could be carried, unprotected, outside the pack like a CCF on a rainy hike.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast